Administrator

Class Of December 2013 - Part 10

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-9-a-20.html
D
Old 02-05-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
waking down

Thanks, Dee. I'm just doing my thing. Working too much. Forgetting to bathe...
Old 02-05-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't afford to do that Z...summer here - they'd probably hold me down and hose me in the street

D
Old 02-05-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Bathing is one of the foundation highlights of my day. Run hot bath in cast iron claw foot tub. Wife takes the first. I take the second. Low lights. Great time to breathe and stretch and ponder and love hot water in winter.
Work less, Zero. Bathe more. I think Abraham Lincoln said that.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
waking down

I'm working on it.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wow part ten already? thanks Dee

woke up very early, went grocery shopping, I like being there with most of the lights turned off and no-one else around. Picked through the veggies and greens etc.
submitted resume yesterday, but not pleased with their 'uploading' system. I may have to call them Monday and hope to correct a possible mistake. Hope that doesn't get in the way of them coming to the realization what a treat it would be to hire me...

their training manager sent me direct links to all of their training material and a few other things, I will indroctinate myself into their corporation. Policies, visions, mission and all that jazz, the training and qualification protocols... the whole 10 yeards.

The wife signed off on $600 to spend on a certification (test) I'll need for this job - regardless of employer this is a national/international requirement. Which means, going back to school... I can learn most of it self-paced through online materials. But I'll have to register and complete at least a few training modules in order to schedule the test. And I think it's one of those 'only a couple times a year' tests. Needs further investigation. But it will be a priority moving forward.

Hope everyone is doing okay. I heard on the news this morning that Philadelphia spent 8 million on snow removal last week. Already 3 mil over budget - they need to do a better job on the budget...

Spring is in the air even tho it's only 20 (-6) outside.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
waking down

Jumping through hoops. I know the feeling. Started doing it to plan for a new career after "retirement." Who would have thought that I'd need a license to start a house-call male stripper business featuring a bald, hairy-backed, boney-assed, aging former drunk?
Old 02-07-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I didn't realize I needed a license for that Zero. Even if I only work for tips?
Old 02-07-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
waking down

Gotta pay taxes on tips, yo. You can do it under the table, but the audience prefers ON the table.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I imagine that liability insurance premiums would be pretty stiff. You'd probably want to invest in a small defibrillator, just to cover all bases. But you could write that off as a business expense.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
waking down

So, would that defibrillator be for me, or for those who swoon with cardio infarctions at my yeti-like hotness?
Old 02-07-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, Zero.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Important to cover all the bases.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
waking down

Don't touch the merchandise, ladies...
Old 02-10-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

picked up a high capacity monochrome printer yesterday. making up training binders, and info related to this company and FERC/NERC.
Last night I read their "Cod of Conduct" manual. Seems I would have to unload a bunch of stock I acquired over the years when I committed 10% of my income to the employee stock purchase program. It's been sitting there untouched for a while because it is worth far less than the purchase price over the past 15 years. Assuming I get this job and have to sell it, it would take 20 or more years to write off the losses with the IRS. Not sure if it is company policy alone or if there is a regulatory requirement to not have an "interest" in "member" companies. A very strict code of conduct, more than the usual. But I'm familiar with it as I had to train on this type of thing in my last job. There is a direct relationship between the two.
I would have a direct influence on market prices of several entities. Even though it's invisible to me. I was hoping it (my stock) would rebound but that's never gonna happen. I suppose the sooner I start writing it off the better. I may break even before I die. It was/is an emergency fund... Of course I wasn't planning to not be working for the last company for a few more years.
And I despise money...

Also been 'studying' interview questions... a joy.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've been thinking... and spoke to my best friend who works on the inside...
there were several jobs I could have gone for last couple years but because of my alcohol incident, my chances of getting my top secret clearance are virtually nil. And I didn't want to open that can of worms... And it's getting late.

Alcohol will haunt me for the rest of my life. But I'm adaptable.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So you are applying for a job with the employer that let you go, LB?
Sounds like you've checked out the terrain pretty well, and know how it could work for you. Good luck. (though I think luck doesn't always play a big role in things). You may be back into gainful employment before you know it.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi JR, no, not my 'ex' employer. A company that works 'with' them.
Interesting though that I ran into my last supervisor a few weeks ago at costco.
He said he was working on a new project and asked me if I'd like to come back and work for him as a contract employee. It would be temp once a year for a couple months. I said, yes I'd be interested. He also is supposed to get me in contact with one of the perpetual contractors for work. I haven't pursued it yet cause I'm trying to avoid going back "inside the fence". Security is tighter than TSA just to get to the 'entrance'. Imagine going through that every day - or several times a day. Yep, you had to remove your shoes too... It sucked during winter weather. Those paper shoe covers were worthless - brown paper towel material walking through a wet, salty brine... I sure do miss it.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Interesting perspective on stress as a factor in growth. (What could that possibly have to do with me?) It's an oldish video, so maybe you folks have seen it. Great rabbi story teller with a wonderful beard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aDXM5H-Fuw
Old 02-12-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
waking down

And the Irish Catholic priest retorts:

"**** taking off the shell. Just drink a few stouts and some good Irish whiskey and the shell won't matter anymore. Take off the shell and you risk feeling ****. No, live within the shell God gave you and stop your blubbering."

That's how I was taught, anyway. And I was good at it for a long time, until the shell got so tight I thought I'd splode!

So the Buddhist says:

"The shell is an illusion. You have nothing to gain and nothing to lose. Don't hide under a rock. Just be."