Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 01-31-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Welcome everyone!

this is the support thread for everyone who wants to quit drugs, alcohol or any kind of addiction this month of FEBRUARY 2016

come and join us!

The latest JANUARY thread is now here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-4-a-19.html

D
Old 01-31-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thanks Dee for being right on it.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm in

I hesitated to join this thread because I've tried several times to get sober before on SR. The most I got was 6 weeks. I was very sincere all three times, but I somehow managed to convince myself I wasn't worth it , so I might as well drink. I never questioned that I was an alcoholic.

This relapse has been long and terrifying. I have alienated all my friends and almost lost my husband. I have been physically injured several times and still have a broken foot. I have lost days in blackouts.

What am I doing differently this time? since I know Dee will ask I've decided to get all the free help this city offers. I am in counseling now to work on my depression. I also joined a mood disorders and addiction support group. I found out that since I last looked, there is an SOS meeting here--only once a week so far, but anything helps. I choose not to attend AA.

But I really need more support than that, so I'm willing to join even though I'm embarrassed. I really am desperate to remain sober.

Thanks for the new group, Dee.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh--I also admitted everything to my doctor and got some medication.

Hope this becomes an active group!
Old 01-31-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How do I "join" the class besides just following this thread?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi. Woke up passed out on the couch at 3am this morning. I think that is going to make tomorrow day 1.

I too have tried plenty of times. I've made it stick for quite a while before, but have lost my way.

A month or so ago I was having chest pains and apparently had a panic attack thinking I might be having a heart attack. Thats never happened to me before, but went light headed, arms tingly, and woke up on the floor. My dad died very young from heart problems so it runs in the family. An ambulance ride later, it turns out it was just very bad acid reflux causing the pain, but my esophagus is inflamed -- and its caused by the drinking. I gotta stop and find a way to make it permanent. You'd think that would have been motivation for me to stop immediately but I've gone on another month.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by lovetolisten View Post
How do I "join" the class besides just following this thread?
welcome lovetolisten - posting here is all you have to do

Originally Posted by RustyBanjo View Post
Hi. Woke up passed out on the couch at 3am this morning. I think that is going to make tomorrow day 1.

I too have tried plenty of times. I've made it stick for quite a while before, but have lost my way.

A month or so ago I was having chest pains and apparently had a panic attack thinking I might be having a heart attack. Thats never happened to me before, but went light headed, arms tingly, and woke up on the floor. My dad died very young from heart problems so it runs in the family. An ambulance ride later, it turns out it was just very bad acid reflux causing the pain, but my esophagus is inflamed -- and its caused by the drinking. I gotta stop and find a way to make it permanent. You'd think that would have been motivation for me to stop immediately but I've gone on another month.
Welcome to you too Rusty

As safeandsound knows, I really recommend plans for long term recovery/sobriety

Not drinking is really tough in the first few weeks. If you can look ahead for obstacles and plan for them before they loom up large, you'll have a better ride for it.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
I hesitated to join this thread because I've tried several times to get sober before on SR. The most I got was 6 weeks. I was very sincere all three times, but I somehow managed to convince myself I wasn't worth it , so I might as well drink. I never questioned that I was an alcoholic.

I found out that since I last looked, there is an SOS meeting here--only once a week so far, but anything helps. I choose not to attend AA.

But I really need more support than that, so I'm willing to join even though I'm embarrassed. I really am desperate to remain sober.

Thanks for the new group, Dee.
welcome safeandsound

I think we get out of our recovery what we put into it.

If we can get the 'no drinking. ever thing down and be ok with that you're more than half way there
Old 02-01-2016, 02:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi February Quitters

Like safeandsound and RustyBanjo, I have tried many times before to quit. I too hesitated about joining a group here on SR, as I have done it before so many times and dropped away. But, I need the support, so will try to support you guys too.

This weekend I came home early from nights out on Friday and Saturday, so that I could drink 'properly'. Obviously, I drank on Sunday night too and it was so hard to get out of bed this morning because of my hangover that I made my young son late for school. I rushed him and shouted at him. Tomorrow I will be up and ready to take care of him properly.

I have made non-drinking plans for every night this week. Yoga tonight. Tomorrow I am going to a choir. I have never sung in a choir since I was at school. I will let you know how it goes.:waves:

Carly
Old 02-01-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I, too, was hesitant to join another class (been at this for awhile), but am determined to get sober for good this time. I was sober for over a year, while pregnant with my daughter and for awhile after she was born, but then stupidly thought I could moderate, again. Obviously, that didn't work. She is now almost 14 mos old and I have another daughter who will be 6 next week. They need their Mom healthy, sober and present for them so I am determined to get 100% sober again. I am so sick of this on again off again cycle. I am so sick of hiding it from my family and sneaking around. Today has to be my last Day 1. I hope we can all help each other make this our month.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.
Joining the February group. I've been on and off SR for a few years. Have done a five month stretch of sobriety, and some shorter stretches. Looking to make sobriety one of my life passions, one day at a time. I stayed sober all last week, but was exhausted and broke down yesterday. Should have taken a nap, or gone for a walk. Drank instead. It was minimal, but damage is done. Back to Day 1.
Excited about a sober February and beyond.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As per my pattern, I had a stretch of days in January, but had a slippery week and weekend. Today I'm not feeling great. I wish I was just done already but having a hangover today is kicking me in gear. Too many "just a couple glasses" nights, then last night my hubby had a couple beers instead of sharing the wine. Well, it's gone. Exhausted from this cycle.

Joining. Day 1.

I remember you Ladybug! Welcome back too!
Old 02-01-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi AppleKat! Good to see you back too. 4pm - 7pm is the hardest time for me so will be posting a lot during that time period! Have to establish new routines and habits.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi all. I'm calling today day one since I drank into the wee hours of the morning Sat night. I'm also starting a new job today so today is a day of change.

So many familiar stories. I turn into such a grump with the kids when drinking and hung over and want to be a better dad. My kids are 3 and 6 -- and deserve better from me.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hear you Ladybug2. I need to do better about getting on outside of work hours. Work is the one place I know I won't drink. I started going to a gym that thankfully doesn't have any stores near it, so that helps me during the week. I will be getting on after hours more and weekends.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Being able to be at home with my kids has been the biggest blessing, but also the biggest trigger.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi February Quitters.

I too am a repeater. I've made one year a long time ago. I also made it from August 3rd of last year to January 7th this year.

What happened this last time was weird to me. I had an arsenal of tools to use but did absolutely nothing! When my AV hit me I just headed for the beer store. Well I think I'm better prepared this time around.

Good luck everybody.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am starting to feel silly joining class after class. But I promised myself I would never stop trying. I need the support. And one of these times it has to just stick. It has to.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Being able to be at home with my kids has been the biggest blessing, but also the biggest trigger.
I hear you AppleKat. How old are your children?
Old 02-01-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
I am starting to feel silly joining class after class. But I promised myself I would never stop trying. I need the support. And one of these times it has to just stick. It has to.
I feel the exact same way. I am praying this is it for me too. I never imagined that this thing could have such a hold on me
Old 02-01-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome all.
Use this thread daily and as a daily commitment to stay sober.
Make this your LAST new monthly 'class' thread. Stick with it and you'll be able to report your first year sober in 2017.