Notices

8 weeks tomorrow

Old 01-17-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 weeks tomorrow

Hope to quit smoking again tomorrow too. Been struggling with AA, it's like going to a evangelical meeting. That makes sense considering when the book was written and by whom. I've discovered aaagnostica and have bought a couple of related books. The nearest agnostic aa meeting is 2 hours away but am considering it. The nearest SMART meeting is about the same distance and there are no SOS or Lifering meetings. Been considering arriving late and leaving early to avoid the praying. I like the idea of local/physically present people for support and will continue to try to fit in socially. PS, I really appreciate this forum and being able to blabber on.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Hi celandra1. I felt much like you do about AA meetings when I first started. The god talk was annoying and I felt a bit dishonest participating in the prayers. I also found myself needing to muster large amounts of tolerance just to sit quietly while some people spoke about their beliefs.

I've come to realize that in all likelihood no two people have exactly the same idea of what god might be. Not even those who profess to be of the same faith. This is even more the case in AA where some can use things like "Good Orderly Direction" as their "higher power".

Asking my "higher self" or "Good Orderly Direction" to grant me serenity turned out to be a tolerable solution in the beginning, at least for me. I hope you find a way that works for you.

All the best.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on 8 weeks celandra
Old 01-17-2016, 10:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Congratulations on 2 weeks celandra!!
Old 01-18-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks awhu1, your response rang home. Patience and tolerance are good values. Good to know I'm not the first or last to deal with this. It would be nice if they could jump into the 21st century, then I could use we or us more easily. Guess I'll work a more private "program" and glean as much wisdom and support from others that I can tolerate. thanks again
Old 01-18-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on eight weeks. I got four weeks clean today and I'm pleased about that.

Out of curiosity, I went to the church which hosts one of my regular AA meetings on Sunday. The church service on Sunday morning - which has nothing to do with AA except that they take place in the same building - was evangelical Christian.

I personally didn't like it very much but I found it interesting to note the huge differences between a real full on evangelical church service and AA. For example:

1. A god of our own understanding is encouraged in AA wheras in the church we were directed towards having a close personal relationship with the risen living Lord Jesus.
2. In the prayers at church we were encouraged to bring our sins before God and ask for forgiveness whereas in AA the problem of alcoholism is seen as a disease.
3. AA has no requirement for membership except a desire to stop drinking. The church members needed to profess their faith in God through the words of a creed said in front of the group.
4. The church has a minister who is part of wider heirarchy. My AA group has no leader as such although the secretary introduces the speaker and runs the meeting.
5. Church members were encouraged to tithe ten percent of their income. A coin in the pot is all that's suggested at AA and noone ever cares if the money goes in or not.

I am sure I could do a longer list. So I agree with you that AA can be a bit evangelical, it's not the same thing as an evangelical church.

And by the way, we in Europe tend to think the churches in the US tend to be much less cerebral and a lot more emotional than most churches here, although of course there's a huge variation.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

churches

I guess to an atheist one church is like another, apples and oranges. It would help if the christian lord's prayer wasn't recited at the end of every meeting. I have been thinking about in-laws I've grown to love inspite of normally polarizing beliefs, politics and christianity. So I imagine I can carry that over to AA, assuming I continue to find it useful.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Eight weeks is fantastic, celandra. Congratulations.

Hope you find a group that fits.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 weeks, Calendra!

I am right with you on AA, trying so hard to find a fit.

I contacted the nearest AA Agnostica (about 5 hours away), and asked if anyone would be willing to be a long-distance sponsor. I have not received a response yet, but I feel pretty good about it.

The 3D support is also very helpful, but it is really hard not to cringe and make faces when the preachers fire up.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, we silly humans need all the help we can get. take care
Old 01-18-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

congrads on the 4 weeks, you'll soon be counting months