Notices

Schizophrenia meds and alcohol

Old 12-10-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Schizophrenia meds and alcohol

I'm not sure exactly why I'm posting this, I guess I'm curious about other peoples experiences here.

I was diagnosed as schizophrenic a couple of years back. I wasn't 'cured' (for lack of better word) of the condition until about a year back after many changes to my meds and my realisation that the voices I had weren't telepathy or other supernatural experiences.

I'm worried with my drinking the effects of both the evenings where I miss my meds due to fear of overdose but also when I take my tablets whilst drinking wine. I noticed some weird side effects when I was doing my voluntary work the next day, ie. the ground rising up and down and the colours changing (albeit in a subtle way - for now)

Has anyone else had strange experiences from antipsychotics and alcohol mixing? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I havnt but it sounds very dangerous to be mixing meds with alcohol

Have you had a Dr apt recently ?
Old 12-10-2015, 11:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my experience, most issues relating to mental health only improve with sobriety. I take antidepressants which my doctor said become mostly ineffective during drinking and after 2 weeks of sobriety, that's when I usually start feeling mentally better.

If you tell your doctor what's been going on, then they might be able to refer you to maybe an alcohol support group (my doctor did and it really helps). My doctor didn't alter my meds at all before, during or now in sobriety, but that's obviously not the case for everyone
Old 12-11-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Tux

I could have written your post myself.
All I can say about it, it's a bad idea. Really bad idea.

I'll say the same to you as people have said to me, talk to you doc, psychiatrist, psychologist, anyone who can offer some sort of help/guidance if you are having trouble with it. It really isn't easy but its really a bad idea to mix the meds with alcohol.

You can pm me if you'd like, I'm kinda in the same boat.

Take care!
Old 12-11-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.
My alcohol counciller has contacted my doctor about my drink problem. I haven't seen a psychiatrist for a while but my old one was aware of me drinking and suggested I go on medications to prevent me drinking, however I was still in denial I had either a drink or mental health problem at that point.

I'm on my third day without boozing, which is the longest I've done so far. I know it doesn't sound like much but I feel I'm really starting to break free of this. I know I deserve better than what I have been doing for so long.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Youtpr doing truly amazing on day 3 x
Old 12-16-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have schizophrenia I had four years sober then after my tenth mental hospital in sobriety I gave up and drank. Bad idea lets say I just realized that I would always have to take meds and was very unhappy I was in psychosis and my brother anoyed by the fact I had four years sober stuck a beer in my face and I drank it. Anyways that was three years ago today i have three days five off nicotine three off the booze. See I wouldn't be compliant with my meds especialy antipsychotics so I have been getting a shot of a very old antipsychotic being I only had two choices cause risperdal shot wasn't generic yet. So even when I drank I still had antipsychotics in me . But drinking would really screw me up for days but I have managed to stay out of the hospital cause I'm on a very high dose. But when I was taking a second generation anti I drank on it and was hospitalized. All I can say is be honest with your psych and psychologis.