Class of November 2015 Part 5

last part here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-4-a-21.html

D
Old 12-01-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
Is it my imagination or are there way more women in recovery here?? Just an observation!
More women than men seem to go for the support threads?

Congrats SCF on your application, and congrats pams on what I think is a good decision regarding the Xmas party.

Just a word on supplements. It's fine to share what worked for you, but please - no recommendations for others.

Not everyones the same. What might work for someone may not work or may not be suitable for someone else. Supplements can interact with other meds for example.

It's always a good idea to run the idea past your Dr first

I hope you feel a little better Dallow. We can't change the past, but we can do a lot with today. We can rescue our reputations and regain trust, and find forgiveness

Congrats on 24 days Tooties Dad - and anyone else hitting a milestone today

D
Old 12-01-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

GoldenSands, I am sorry you are feeling frustrated with your family.

I think it is always possible to find someone 'worse' than myself and it really isn't about someone else, it's about ME.

I keep telling myself to pay attention to and remember what happened when I decided to stop drinking. That it isn't about how much or how often; it's about what happened when I took it away. It wasn't pretty and that is an obvious indication of a problem that cant be ignored...therefore I need to stay stopped.

I hope your frustration passes soon.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wondered why I couldn't quote in the other thread until I got to the last post!

Feeling pretty good today and looking forward to a decent sleep for a change (I can always hope)!
Old 12-01-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

Just a word on supplements. It's fine to share what worked for you, but please - no recommendations for others.

Not everyones the same. What might work for someone may not work or may not be suitable for someone else. Supplements can interact with other meds for example.

It's always a good idea to run the idea past your Dr first
Yes, please don't experiment without asking your doctor or pharmacist. I posted a few days ago that I'm seeing a naturopathic doctor and I discussed taking supplements with her. In Canada you can also phone HealthLink or HealthLine and speak with a doctor or pharmacist for free. I'm sure that other countries have a similar organization that you can phone
Old 12-01-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Omg

I just had a MASSIVE craving!

I was walking my dog and it just hit me! For 20 minutes I was SURE I was gonna drink! My AV said that I deserved it, that December would make a better sobriety month (lol), it told me it would be "fun", and went so far as to plan how I would get away with it!

Geeze! Thank God I was with my dog 25 minutes away from home because I'm not sure what I would have done. Would I have gone to the store to buy booze???

Well I was smart enough to pick up the phone and call my sponsor as soon as my craving started and talked to her for 20 minutes until my craving was gone & I got home from walking my dog. She said "think, think, think all the way through the drink!"

Suddenly I realized that if I drink I will either keep drinking until my death or will have to start all over tomorrow or in the future. Either way, there are only 2 (maybe 3) ways out of this for an alcoholic:
1. Sobriety
2. Death
3. Jail/institutions

It will NEVER be fun again! It will ALWAYS cause pain and indescribable suffering.

Now...I'm gonna read all your posts from today while I eat a snack!

Thx for reading!

Still day 16.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

good on you for getting through that Kiki

D
Old 12-01-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
I just had a MASSIVE craving!

I was walking my dog and it just hit me! For 20 minutes I was SURE I was gonna drink! My AV said that I deserved it, that December would make a better sobriety month (lol), it told me it would be "fun", and went so far as to plan how I would get away with it!

Geeze! Thank God I was with my dog 25 minutes away from home because I'm not sure what I would have done. Would I have gone to the store to buy booze???

Well I was smart enough to pick up the phone and call my sponsor as soon as my craving started and talked to her for 20 minutes until my craving was gone & I got home from walking my dog. She said "think, think, think all the way through the drink!"

Suddenly I realized that if I drink I will either keep drinking until my death or will have to start all over tomorrow or in the future. Either way, there are only 2 (maybe 3) ways out of this for an alcoholic:
1. Sobriety
2. Death
3. Jail/institutions

It will NEVER be fun again! It will ALWAYS cause pain and indescribable suffering.

Now...I'm gonna read all your posts from today while I eat a snack!

Thx for reading!

Still day 16.

Hi Kiki,

I thought the same thing on my final time and it's certainly true for me. The only way this will end is sobriety, death or prison. A stark fact. Today been I have a choice as to which one it is.

If I drink, all bets are off.

Sv x
Old 12-01-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Survived a night out ... no booze! It was tempting and I am still very confused.... but sober!
Old 12-01-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
It will NEVER be fun again!
No it won't. Something changed in our brain and now what it used to be fun turned into anxiety. But we can still relax and have fun! Just not with alcohol.

What if one day you eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and you get an allergic reaction? Would you eat it again? Even if you used to love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?

That doesn't mean that you can't enjoy food anymore...you just have to find a different kind of sandwich

xoxo
Old 12-01-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Checking in day 8! Feeling good I am also frustrated by weight gain. I've gained 10 pounds in the last year. I made an appointment for a physical. Maybe the weight gain is due to my antidepressant. I need to talk to my doctor. I got a Fitbit 2 months ago. I've been building up my steps everyday. So far I make it over 11,000 steps each day. I have started tracking my calorie intake too. I am not tempted at this point. After a while of feeling better/good I'll start getting these ideas that one or two drinks won't hurt. That's my downfall. I have to overcome it.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 2 coming to an end. A bit tired, just checking in.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!

SnowVelvet...yep...no way out of this other than sobriety!

Enfin- great job! Keep up the great work!!!
Old 12-01-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
No it won't. Something changed in our brain and now what it used to be fun turned into anxiety. But we can still relax and have fun! Just not with alcohol. What if one day you eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and you get an allergic reaction? Would you eat it again? Even if you used to love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? That doesn't mean that you can't enjoy food anymore...you just have to find a different kind of sandwich xoxo
You're right Patricia...if I was allergic to peanut butter I would just eat a different sandwich. I wish it was that easy to NOT drink!

Why is it so hard sometimes? :-(
Old 12-01-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rah555 View Post
Checking in day 8! Feeling good I am also frustrated by weight gain. I've gained 10 pounds in the last year. I made an appointment for a physical. Maybe the weight gain is due to my antidepressant. I need to talk to my doctor. I got a Fitbit 2 months ago. I've been building up my steps everyday. So far I make it over 11,000 steps each day. I have started tracking my calorie intake too. I am not tempted at this point. After a while of feeling better/good I'll start getting these ideas that one or two drinks won't hurt. That's my downfall. I have to overcome it.
I'm with you! I can't fit in my clothes! I have so much to lose! Ugh! One thing at a time, right? :-)
Old 12-01-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Evening 9 check-in. Feeling good and sober. This is when things can get dicey for me, especially with the holidays upon us. Feeling good, life is short, the last blackout fades to black, holiday parties, time off, alcohol everywhere you look!!

I'm going to have my first counseling session on Thursday and I'm looking forward to it. I'm curious whether the therapist will confirm my problem as an addiction, something deeper, or both. At any rate, I think it's a critical step for me to get some additional help this time around, given my tendency for relapse after short-moderate stints of sobriety. Addiction is a tough beast and best to battle it with as many weapons as necessary.

Also running a marathon on Saturday. I have been registered for months but only decided today that I'll actually run it. Just going to take it easy and treat it as a fun run. Let's see how fun I think it is at the 20mile mark!

Have a great evening everyone and congratulations on continued sobriety!
Old 12-01-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FaithfulAndFree View Post
Day 2 coming to an end. A bit tired, just checking in.
Great job! Keep up the great work!!!
Old 12-01-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
Evening 9 check-in. Feeling good and sober. This is when things can get dicey for me, especially with the holidays upon us. Feeling good, life is short, the last blackout fades to black, holiday parties, time off, alcohol everywhere you look!!

I'm going to have my first counseling session on Thursday and I'm looking forward to it. I'm curious whether the therapist will confirm my problem as an addiction, something deeper, or both. At any rate, I think it's a critical step for me to get some additional help this time around, given my tendency for relapse after short-moderate stints of sobriety. Addiction is a tough beast and best to battle it with as many weapons as necessary.

Also running a marathon on Saturday. I have been registered for months but only decided today that I'll actually run it. Just going to take it easy and treat it as a fun run. Let's see how fun I think it is at the 20mile mark!

Have a great evening everyone and congratulations on continued sobriety!
Good.luck with he counselling, I have my first next wed with a, shock, alcohol counsellor... that is a big step... admission of problem???? Hope no one sees me going in! But I think speaking it out loud will make it real, and if it's reality can't be fantasy or ignored???? Then I can rise to the challenge-I like a challenge! !!
Not sure I could casually run a marathon though, hahaha.... so good luck with that too! !!
Old 12-01-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Finishing up day 16 (I've lost count but that's what Kiki tells me)

Instead of alcohol I've been on a sugar binge, ugh. But it's still better than vodka. This too shall pass!

Great to hear about everyone pushing through and keeping their sobriety, love it!

I'm settled in on the couch in pjs trying to recover from the peanut m&m binge I had tonight. No thought of drinking after that!

Good night class
Old 12-01-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your replies to my little rant earlier.
You guys are super helpful.
I'm a little more calmed down about it now, just ready to get the kids to bed and have peace and quiet.
Ending my day 17 but i'll probably check in again before going to sleep tonight.