Notices

How to Apply Step 10

Old 11-14-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to Apply Step 10

The other day I was telling my sponsor about someone doing and saying things that upset me. She suggested I not go back to this business. I appreciated the suggestion. But she did not say "It sounds like you were in fear, why don't you quickly 10th step it."

I knew I was "upset" and "irritable" about how I was treated, but I didn't realize I was angry or in fear. I seem to have difficulty sometimes telling when I am in fear, self-seeking, anger, etc.

Does this get easier over time? I am not disciplined as well as I should be in my Step 10. I don't mean to live on my laurels; I think I am just spiritually lazy or spiritually in fear, or just over complicating something that should be simple. (Step 10 is only one and half pages to read, after all, and there aren't many questions to answer.)

Does this come easier with practice?

Any suggestions on how to become more disciplined about doing Step 10 on a regular basis, and how to realize I'm in resentment, fear, anger, self-seeking, etc.? I don't know why I am still struggling with applying the program.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

my experience is it does get better with practice.
You have the desire so that is a big plus for you!

My emotional "intelligence" was practically non existent when I got sober,but today I can recognize emotions I used to miss
hang in there!
Old 11-14-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
my experience is it does get better with practice.
You have the desire so that is a big plus for you!

My emotional "intelligence" was practically non existent when I got sober,but today I can recognize emotions I used to miss
hang in there!
Thank you, Tommy!! This helped so much! The desire has been there since I first got serious about my recovery, but the discipline is just not there and it's frustrating.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with emotional intelligence. I do wish there was more about emotional sobriety in the steps or elsewhere.

You give me a lot of hope. Was Step 10 key for you in recognizing emotions?