Notices

Ptsd

Old 10-23-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ptsd

I think I have PTSD. I've never been officially diagnosed, which baffles me. I'm going to tell my therapist next week. Is there a reluctance to diagnose someone with PTSD? I read an article about it recently, and it said there are war veterans who suffered with it for 40 years before it was diagnosed. I've lived with mine for over 25. The relief I feel for finally realizing what I think is wrong with me is indescribable. I've been trying to figure it out for much of that time. I drink as a result. I truly don't know if I am a full blown alcoholic or if I'm just abusing alcohol. Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you
Old 10-23-2015, 10:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and thx for your post...

I suspected I had some PTSD for quite some time, but the first time I had a professional say it out loud and address it officially was this year...my counselor. It was a bit of a relief, yes, to hear a professional say what I had suspected and felt...it was a bit like being validated and helped me get to the "why" behind drinking. I honestly do not know whether or not I am a true alcoholic...when I stopped there were almost no withdrawl symptoms. So, I am not quite sure on that one. And, my use of alcohol overall has not been extensive or for very long. In fact, I would say that most of my life has been free of an ETOH problem. However...it runs very strongly on both sides of my family and I definitely have co-dependent issues.

Anyways, don't know if I answered your post or questions very well.

Part of my PTSD is from childhood and the other part from experiences I have gone through throughout life as life happened....*sigh*. Hey, life happens, right? I sure don't want to develop a bitter attitude because of various experiences, but I want to deal with the issues in healthy ways...

As PTSD can contribute to depression and other problems...

take care....

Blessed Be...
Old 10-24-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post teatree. I'm looking forward to my next counseling session to bring this up. With the counsellors I've been to, I just don't know why this has never been suggested. To finally realize what this may be is a relief to say the least.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Rio
Old 10-27-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rio97 View Post
Thanks for your post teatree. I'm looking forward to my next counseling session to bring this up. With the counsellors I've been to, I just don't know why this has never been suggested. To finally realize what this may be is a relief to say the least.
You are welcome, Rio...I hope your counseling session goes well...it's a funny thing about finally getting an ACCURATE diagnosis on something that may have been bothering a person for YEARS! When my sister was *finally* diagnosed with lupus, she was relieved even though getting the diagnosis of lupus isn't exactly a joy ride either! But she knew something was wrong and knew how she felt and was experiencing many of the symptoms and didn't know why...she actually started to feel like she was going nuts! (lupus can affect the brain too)...and she had been living with the symptoms for quite some time...we tried to talk her into to seeing a Dr. a long time before we finally convinced her she needed to get checked out. (I suspected lupus)

Keep us posted...

BeWell
Old 11-01-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
🚫Proverbial Pink Elephant

I think I have PTSD. I've never been officially diagnosed, which baffles me. I'm going to tell my therapist next week. Is there a reluctance to diagnose someone with PTSD? I read an article about it recently, and it said there are war veterans who suffered with it for 40 years before it was diagnosed. I've lived with mine for over 25. The relief I feel for finally realizing what I think is wrong with me is indescribable. I've been trying to figure it out for much of that time. I drink as a result. I truly don't know if I am a full blown alcoholic or if I'm just abusing alcohol. Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you
As alcoholism is a self diagnosed affliction,
one red flag scenario is if alcohol affects any aspect of our lives
in a negative way then we are probably an alcoholic.
If we have to ask ourselves the question
then we are probably an alcoholic.
"Every time I drank I did not get in trouble,
but whenever I got in trouble I was drinking."
Old 11-02-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

May your ptsd symptoms lessen in time and leave you feeling peaceful.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
🚫Proverbial Pink Elephant

"God could and would if he were sought."
AA Big Book
Old 11-03-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You hit the nail on the head, teatree. I think I've made more progress in the past week since figuring this out than I have in years. Basically I've been misdiagnosed, I think. I don't know what you can do about that, which is troubling. I am filled with some bitterness that no one has ever suggested this. But my counselor is on board and I'm feeling much more optimistic.

You're probably right, Leslie. I'm giving it another shot in giving up alcohol.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You hit the nail on the head, teatree. I think I've made more progress in the past week since figuring this out than I have in years. Basically I've been misdiagnosed, I think. I don't know what you can do about that, which is troubling. I am filled with some bitterness that no one has ever suggested this. But my counselor is on board and I'm feeling much more optimistic.

You're probably right, Leslie. I'm giving it another shot in giving up alcohol.
Good to hear...I mean, not good so much you have ptsd, but good to have the right dx..��

I figure: does my brain really need a cons depressant? Hmm... No...��