Administrator

Class of October 2015 Part 3

last part here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-20.html

D
Old 10-20-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Luchita View Post
I hear mentors mentioned a lot in the posts. What does this involve and how do you go about finding someone to be your mentor?
Perhaps you're thinking of the sponsorship practice used in 12-Step groups like AA? In AA, a sponsor is a person who has achieved sobriety by working the spiritual 12-Steps and then shows a newcomer how to work those same 12-Steps.

This AA pamphlet* http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf provides more detailed information regarding sponsorship. And if you have other questions regarding AA, you may want to check-out the 12-Step sub-forum on this site: Alcoholism-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

*Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

Last edited by Dee74; 10-20-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good evening all. 17 days sober, and 6 days cigarette and nicotine free.

Stay strong.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So, I seriously considered running to the store, buying a 12-pack of beer, running back home and pounding as many of the beers as I could before the wife got home with our kids.

Then I caught up on the thread above my last post. Thanks all for the stories and struggling with me through this. I ended on Dobiegirl's post, which reminded me that this is a progressive disease. If I were to start drinking, where does it stop? It might be another week, month, or more before I can get some sober days in. And when I did stop, I'd be worse off than I am now (and sicker).

Edit: And thanks KeyofC!

So rather then go and get the beer, I stayed home and ate a bunch of junk Thanks everyone!
Yay for junk food!!!
Old 10-20-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Today was TOUGH! Tonight I'm in a horrible, irritable mood, and I've already had to apologize to my kids for snapping at them. Just ready for today to be over and go to bed.

I work with an online trainer who helps me with strength training programs and nutrition. He's a great guy, and I feel bad being dishonest with him. So this weekend, I emailed him and told him about the drinking thing. He's curious what makes me think it's an addiction rather than just a really bad, strong habit. I'm not looking forward to explaining that; it makes me mentally tired. Maybe I should put it off until morning when I'm not so irritable.

I am so thankful already for this forum. In just the few short days I've been here, I've learned so much from all of you. It's SO nice not to feel alone with this thing.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

enoughsenough - welcome!

I don't understand the thank you button. When I first joined, I would 'thank' a post if I particularly liked what they said, it helped me a lot, or I wanted to support that person. But then I saw everyone just liked absolutely everything.... so then I guess I felt pressured into liking every post....but then I thought, then that basically means nothing, if I randomly click like to everything.

Then I thought, maybe it's a good way for me to make sure I read every single post. If I've read a post thoroughly, only then can I say thanks (instead of maybe breezing through all the posts too fast and not digesting the info). But now I don't even know what I'm doing.... it's so random.... I don't want people to feel hurt though! I understand the whole liking things on FB. Maybe this is the same for some. It hurts a lot, especially when the comments above and below mine have likes. Such tiny things but I think we're all super sensitive (at least I am) so..... I dunno.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I struggle a bit with the thank you button. I think it's easier just to thank as I read on this thread. That way, no one's feelings get hurt

When I joined this site back in 2009, I was super sensitive and didn't like that my posts didn't get as many thank yous as some folks and it really hurt my feelings. That's the negative side of having this thank you button. Now I try not to care about it one way or another - the way I look at it now, as long as my recovery is on track and I'm posting what I need to, who cares if anyone "thanks" me or not, right?

Layali, it is in line with the Facebook "likes" thing which also gets to me. Another reason why I left Facebook - my posts tended to be more honest than others, and people don't always like honesty, so I didn't get nearly as many likes as folks who like to brag about how their kids were doing or that they were married for 20 years and life is wonderful... but I digress!

My son and I just watched Back to the Future (Part I). We're seeing Parts 2 and 3 at a Marathon tomorrow in the theater and I told him I couldn't do 3 movies in a row so we had to do #1 home tonight.

Glad to be in double digits. I have been here before but not for a long time. There is a shift of feeling when you get to double digits - something of more confidence as in, "It can be done!"
Old 10-20-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I never have given too much thought to the thanks button. It was more obvious when I used a computer but now that I'm only on my iPhone app, I honestly forget it's even there and I don't know how to even see if anyone thanked my posts on the app. So, at first I felt guilty reading this topic because I don't even remember to thank! I hope I haven't seemed rude -/

Anyway, I'm glad my night is over. I shopped and cooked and cleaned and kept busy. Slightly pissed that I can't drink but I'm just trying to ignore it and hope to feel better tomorrow. Strangely, I'm not as exhausted as I usually am these first few days. I kinda think my body has gotten used to this week on week off nonsense.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

From my experience here what eventually happens is that the people in each class gradually dwindle leaving a small number of people who get to know each other quite well. Personalities come through clearer and their stories are easier to follow. Mutual caring gets deeper and help becomes more (I don't want to use the words genuine or sincere) individualistic. It hurts a little more, cuts a little deeper when someone you've bonded with over a few months suddenly disappears. Our success if sort of tied up with the success of others; peer pressure in a good way. We don't want to let others down never mind ourself. At least this is how I've experienced this site.

Juno, we've discussed this in the past, even way back in 2009, and tend to agree.

Lastly, all this "Back to the future" news is making me happy, sad, feel old and feel nostalgic. All in all nice memories.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

FABL - you brought up an important point. If you want to take the thank you button off the table, just use the iphone app. You're a genius! So if I suddenly stop thanking everyone's posts, that's what happened

Midton, I felt really nostalgic watching this movie from 1985. In 1985, I was 21 years old. Soooooo many memories. It was a good feeling. The swing back to the 1950's brought a different type of nostalgia. Of course I wasn't alive yet, but my parents were but I thought about the world they lived in as teens and young adults. And then we shift forward 30 years and here were are now. In 2015 - mind blowing! Can't wait for Parts 2 and 3 tomorrow!
Old 10-20-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just wanted to check in with a good night post...end of day, in bed, tea already drunk, ready to hit the hay! Day 3 in the books! I can't believe it! Thanks for everyone here, and way to go! Everyone is doing great!
NACN
Old 10-20-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Max, I am so glad to see you here!! I've thought about you everyday, but I haven't wanted to say anything because I didn't want to pressure you. I am really happy you're here : )
I am glad to read that other people feel the same way about the thank you button as I do. I sure can take it personal sometimes. At first I used the thank you button sparingly, but now I am thank you button happy. The way I look at it, I am thanking somebody for taking the time to post something, no matter what it, and I want to let him or her know I appreciate their time. Just being on here and reading is so helpful to me, and it wouldn't be possible without you all! So thank you : )
Old 10-20-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lol I'm tickled about us hashing out the "thanks" button! Lol
Not making light of the feelings behind it, just we are so confused!! Lol I just busted out giggling!! Pahahahaaa!
Old 10-20-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This was great! I've been kinda cranky for the past 2 days and I needed this: I was running this evening and up ahead I see this guy running. So I'm like I can take 'em. So I run by him and he's like "oh no" and runs by me. And for the next mile we leapfrog past each other, my 2 strides to his every one, him making it look effortless, me probably making it look painful. At the top of the hill, he makes a u-turn, I hung a right, and I think we were both thinking "whew, glad that's over with"! I was content to trudge along at my usual pace today, but purely by accident i was pushed out of my comfort zone and reminded that i am strong and i am capable. I had to smile : )
keep up the great work, gang!!
Old 10-20-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeyofC View Post
Lol I'm tickled about us hashing out the "thanks" button! Lol
Not making light of the feelings behind it, just we are so confused!! Lol I just busted out giggling!! Pahahahaaa!
Haha, I wanted to say it made me giggle too, but then I thought "wait maybe that will hurt somebody's feelings". Talk about tendency to over think everything- I drive myself crazy sometimes!
Old 10-20-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Juno- glad I helped you out! Haha, but maybe some navigate the app better than I do. I really like sr better on the computer but I only have a work laptop and they put in software last year so they can see all the sites we visit. Creepy!

Midton- yes, that's been my experience too. I've been in some great groups over the years. I got hung up on (and maybe still do even though I know it's not like this) the idea that if I don't stay sober I don't "belong" in the class. So that shame would cause me to disappear. I wish I hadn't. These connections are really bonding and I love that we all seem to have such similar thoughts, feelings and experiences with alcohol. It makes me feel SO much less alone and less crazy and it gives me even more of a reason to want to stay sober.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ahaha I guess a lot of this "thanks" and "likes" thing is pretty funny.... for FB, my sister was over and I was getting super upset, but when I tried to explain why she just rolled her eyes and laughed at me....it sounded ridiculous, trying to explain that I made a comment and there were other comments but some of them got likes and mine didn't but that other person posted after me but they got a like and maybe the person hates me and why wouldn't they like my comment omg....haha trying to explain it sounded silly. It didn't match what I was feeling!!

I totally overthink everything. One reason I drank maybe, was to calm that overthinking.....but lately, I'm trying to just care less. It's good to be able to laugh at some things, I think. Humour helps a bunch!! Helps to de-stress for sure. I think most alcoholics are sensitive souls.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I tend to agree Layali we all do
Old 10-20-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

FABL

My overwhelming memory when I first found this site was surprise coupled with relief when I discovered how many people like me there were. On the spectrum of alcohol problems (still can't say the A-word) mine is not particularly severe but seems to encapsulate the vast number of people who post here.

I had no idea that so many people drank the way I do and had so many similar problems due to it. I was so uneducated about the effects of alcohol on every organ of my body. As they say a problem shared is a problem halved.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Jumping on the bandwagon! I know it's late into the month, but going for it anyway, on day 3 and feeling good, will need this place to stay motivated. Keep up the good work you guys, thankful to be here surrounded by so much support.