Notices

Concussion

Old 09-29-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Concussion

So I suffered a concussion while at work last Monday. I've been out of work since per doctor's orders and hope to return next Monday. Cognitive rest was ordered, which means no reading, no watching movies, no video games, no internet (I'll keep this short), no strenuous physical or mental activity, no crafty-type things that involve concentration. I still get headaches, nausea, and fatigue, so it's hard to get up and do things anyway. I'm running out of minor tasks to keep myself busy with. I can't drive myself anywhere. I have a long history of depression and all of this non-activity, non-usefulness, non-productivity is making it worse lately. I don't have many friends, so I haven't been successful in reaching out for help. We're expecting heavy rain and wind (and possibly hurricane Joaquin) over the next few days, so doing stuff outside won't be possible. I'm just feeling trapped and useless and worthless and I can't shake it.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi scrappy, I hope you're feeling better soon!

It's difficult to know what to do for the best, walking seems out of the question with Joaquín.

Hang in there, come visit us for short bursts if you can, you can reach out yo us.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really sorry to hear that Scrappy I made a excellent set of friends here & I hope you know you can lean on us whenever you need bud
Old 10-02-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind replies. I've been able to keep myself moderately occupied this week thanks to to-do lists. I conquered one of my greatest fears earlier this week and confronted my mother about how her words and actions during my brother's thievery made me feel. I told her I felt forgotten. She was very apologetic and tried to explain her reasons, which I think I understand. She promised she wouldn't ever do anything that could make me feel forgotten again. I'm choosing to believe her. I also had a conversation with a priest about how being out of work and not being able to provide has been making me feel. He, in his priestly way, suggested that everything happens for a reason and that the possible reason for this downtime and inability to do the things I normally do is that I really, really need to start prioritizing myself and my needs. So over the next few weeks and months, I'm going to try to take steps that will lead me there. I'm not sure what the steps are yet, but I have faith that they will be revealed when they need to be. Also, as a side note, the 1st of October was my 10 month sobriety anniversary

Thank you again for your constant kindness.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scrappy22 View Post
Thank you for your kind replies. I've been able to keep myself moderately occupied this week thanks to to-do lists. I conquered one of my greatest fears earlier this week and confronted my mother about how her words and actions during my brother's thievery made me feel. I told her I felt forgotten. She was very apologetic and tried to explain her reasons, which I think I understand. She promised she wouldn't ever do anything that could make me feel forgotten again. I'm choosing to believe her. I also had a conversation with a priest about how being out of work and not being able to provide has been making me feel. He, in his priestly way, suggested that everything happens for a reason and that the possible reason for this downtime and inability to do the things I normally do is that I really, really need to start prioritizing myself and my needs. So over the next few weeks and months, I'm going to try to take steps that will lead me there. I'm not sure what the steps are yet, but I have faith that they will be revealed when they need to be. Also, as a side note, the 1st of October was my 10 month sobriety anniversary

Thank you again for your constant kindness.
Hi Scrappy! Glad you're feeling better. And good job on 10 years!
Old 10-03-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by scrappy22 View Post
He, in his priestly way, suggested that everything happens for a reason and that the possible reason for this downtime and inability to do the things I normally do is that I really, really need to start prioritizing myself and my needs.

Also, as a side note, the 1st of October was my 10 month sobriety anniversary
Very wise words from your priest, and congratulations on 10 months of blessed sobriety.