Notices

Sleep meds

Old 09-19-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep meds

So I went on a binge last week and my exgf had the police take me to the psych hospital. I was there for about 3 days. The psychiatrist there would not give me Ativan, which is my sleep aid of choice and said I should consult with my psychiatrist about medications with less abuse potential. For the record, I have never abused benzos, but understand where he is coming from.

I've taken trazodone (100 mg) and mirtazapine (Remeron) 7.5mg, both antidepressants, for sleep, but they turn me into a zombie the following day. Vistaril doesn't do jack squat for me, and I've taken up to 150mg to try and fall asleep.

So far, Ativan is the only medication that I know will put me to sleep, keep me asleep, and I know will allow me to fully function the next day. I've never taken Ambien. I'd love to hear what works for others so I can float them to my psychiatrist on my next visit.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I have used zoplicone for 7 days before to help with routine

& I have used an otc before to help keep a good sleep routine

I spoke with my Dr first as they are trained in this maybe ask a Dr too ?

Good luck
Old 09-19-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Trazadone

SoberAlky, (Great name by the way) My doctor prescribed Trazadone as well. I have found that it works great, but I can't take it too late into the evening if I hope to not wake up groggy. Also, I have been playing around with the dosing by cutting pills in half when I end up having to take it so late at night. Of course, it doesn't help me sleep as well when i do that. Don't know if this helps, but good luck.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Mr Smith
Old 09-19-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I took 3 mg one day, and about 1.5 mg. A few days later...Of melatonin.

It messed me up a.bit....couldn't sleep for a day or so...

Never again...I'd rather be tired and take a nap later...

Otherwise.drug.free.for 134'days..
Old 09-19-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Otherwise.drug.free.for 134'days..
I'm happy for you that you don't have crippling anxiety and panic. Please don't look down on those of us that do and need medications for it. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

No sir...

I am a student...this site is the teacher...

Lucky I didn't ruin myself....yet...

I am curious about others and their condition....so sorry if my words.come across as bragging....

I find I am pumping myself up....when I step out into the world...It helps a bit...

So thanks and please keep posting all your issues etc. I try to help, but sometimes I piggy back...It helps me...

I am not out of the woods...
Old 09-19-2015, 09:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've had anxiety/insomnia issues for most of my life and I've tried many things.
I've tried Remeron and it was okay but I gained quite a bit of weight, trazadone and that worked really well but it has 1 drawback in the it completely blocked my sinuses. I'm talking 100%.

What works best for me is ambien. I've been taking it for several years and its consistent. I've even went from 10 mgs to 5 and I think the lower dose works better.
So there's not a tolerance issue and its much safer than ativan.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by peanut44 View Post
I've had anxiety/insomnia issues for most of my life and I've tried many things.
I've tried Remeron and it was okay but I gained quite a bit of weight, trazadone and that worked really well but it has 1 drawback in the it completely blocked my sinuses. I'm talking 100%.

What works best for me is ambien. I've been taking it for several years and its consistent. I've even went from 10 mgs to 5 and I think the lower dose works better.
So there's not a tolerance issue and its much safer than ativan.

Hope that helps.
I was prescribed ambien a few years ago and it worked very well for me. However, I would get up in the middle of the night and eat, not remembering it the next day, until I found evidence. One morning I got up and found an empty plate of spaghetti next to my bed, or I would wake up to an empty box of Girl Scout cookies. LOL. Presently I take .5 mg xanax and an OTC.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow the ambien sounds worse than booze Rar, that is both hilarious and scary. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
Wow the ambien sounds worse than booze Rar, that is both hilarious and scary. Thanks for sharing.
I have another Ambien story. One morning, while laying on my stomach, I woke to my husband brushing my back. I said, "What are you doing?" He said, "Getting rid of the crumbs."
Old 09-21-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That is weird that you could eat a whole meal, and not remember it. I have heard others say this though. Not a good advertisement for Ambien. Stay strong.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

I would usually remember if something jogged my memory - like the plate or cookie box. Sometimes I would see the empty milk glass or the peanut butter jar - stuff like that.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ambien is a sedative/hypnotic. It's meant to take right before you turn the lights out. Right when you go to sleep. I too would get the munchies and maybe get up and eat something, HOWEVER, it was before i fell asleep and i remembered everything.

It's been recently proven that 10 mgs is way too strong for women with increased side effects.
I know you are definitely not supposed to drink with it or you could find yourself eating buttered cigarettes. Plus other meds may interact.
It works great for me and I've tried just about everything.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i would like to know why you are taking the pills ? they make your artificail sleep why not make use has meditation is something natural