Notices

My experience with Insomnia and sleep aids

Old 07-31-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My experience with Insomnia and sleep aids

I have struggled with sleep since I began heavily drinking in my early 20's.

In my many attempts, here is what I have tried with some feed back on each.

I tried all of the OTC meds with no luck.

Dr. gave me Ativan...didn't do much besides help me with WD symptoms. Would not continue prescribing for obvious reasons.

Next we tried Ambien. Now some people get weird on Ambien. We are all different. I could take a double dose and still stay awake for a few hours reading my iPad. It kind of worked at first but I believed it to be more of a placebo effect than anything. Anyways I need to stop taking this as it has been about 4 months now, nearly nightly.

Next was Trazodone.....this one is very odd. It's actually an anti depressant but is used as a sleep aid in certain cases. I took the recommended dose about an hour before bed. I was drowsy and had an unprovoked erection (this is a noted side effect). I slept awfully and experiences nightmares of all sorts. The next day I was a zombie. Quite a bit of light sensitivity as well. I'm still scared to take this one.

I'd be happy to hear anybody else's experiences.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was addicted to Zopiclond for nearly 2 years , used to pop them and drink a bottle of red wine to sleep .

Only way to sleep better IMHO is take zero sleep aids no matter how bad it gets .
I was on and off different sleeping tablets for a long time , they as you know only make the situation worse.
Stop taking any aids Yes it's difficult at first , but worst I felt was groggy , just force yourself to function on little or no sleep till your body heals , honestly nothing bad will happen , your mind tells you it will and try's to keep you sleep scared , forget about sleep totally if you sleep you sleep if you don't you don't and just carry on regardless . It works I promise.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to agree with Dark here, I used to try all kinds of things to help me sleep untill I just had to get used to sleeping with NO sleep-aids at all. Now I sleep like a champion! Talk to your Dr about it though.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

While that is always my end goal, when I enter sobriety, I sometimes function poorly at work because of my sleep issues. I can't let that be a continuing pattern or else it drives stress, anger, guilt, all triggers.

I am hoping to alleviate that transition somehow.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've tried them all too with some success and not. Actually, the trazadone worked best for me originally and as long as 2 years and more by upping the mgs. As with any drug though, I finally reached my upper limit at 200 mg. It no longer worked and at my first sleep study the doctor took me off of it saying it was a dangerous med. I then went on 50 mg Benadryl and 6 mg melatonin and that worked for almost 3 months. Back to square one.
I no longer use anything and sleep about 1-2 hours a night.
My sponsor tells me when the spiritual, mental and emotional are healed so will be my physical problems with sleep. I'm doing more research and will be seeing a sleep expert this coming December. To be continued..............

footnote: I do not fret or freak anymore about the loss of sleep. At least I now have only one problem, insomnia, instead of two, insomnia and alcoholism. I no longer drink and am hoping to sleep again. Amen!
Old 08-27-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've had insomnia issues since I was a kid because of violence in the house.

To this day I wear ear plugs to bed. I tried trazadone and it worked ok however it completely stuffed up my sinuses. Come to find out, I'm allergic to it. Tried benadryl for years, over used it and now I'm allergic to it also.

Finally settled on ambiem. I was talking 10 mgs of it but come to find out, 5 mgs works better. I think the sleep eating and weird stuff that comes along with ambiem is when people drink with it.

Imo
Old 08-28-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hope it continues to help you.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
🚫Proverbial Pink Elephant

Valerian root is an effective natural herb for sleep
widely used especially in Europe.
Available in health food store chains:
Whole Foods Markets & Vitamin Shoppes.
However, even an addict can abuse this substance
as this was the first substance I actually abused before I relapsed
into benzos, opiates and alcohol.
My first sponsor called the health food store
"The legal get high store."
Old 02-10-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do u have a catch-22?

Ive been on trazadone for a couple years and i still get wicked insomnia and then i get flack from my mom and boyfreiend they are afraid ill be irritsable wqich i usually am with no sleep the i craash for 18 hrs after 48 hrs up and some time s i get night terrors screaming at the top of my lungs freaking out the whole house my nursze pract5iitioner knows but she dosent change any thing.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm now sleeping every 3 days or so from 3-4 hours. Things are getting better but I'm wondering what will happen if I go off of the melatonin and beanadryl. I do believe I am slowly healing.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I sympathize with you massively. I have tried Trazodone, Zopiclone, and over the counter remedies (diphenhydramine hydrochloride - i.e., Nytol, Unisom, etc). I also tried the naturals, i.e., Melatonin and Valerian.

Each of these has its own nasty side effect (including the naturals), yet none of them were particularly or regularly effective. I felt like a zombie throughout the periods that I used them. Whenever I did manage to succumb to 'sleep,' I never felt as though I'd slept, but had only been rendered unconscious. The 'sleep' never felt restorative. I felt hungover all the time.

For me, a number of things helped in getting on top of the sleep issue. Setting a regular sleep schedule worked best - going to bed at a regular time, getting up at regular time. This is not easy at first, but even if sleep isn't achieved, there's something to be said about being mindful of the process of beginning to quiet your thoughts a little while before the time scheduled for sleep. I realized that I had to establish what was essentially a new pattern, and that it would require some time.

And there are "sleep hygiene" issues as well that I think were helpful. I noticed that you read from your iPad while in bed. In my research, all digital devices - even with their brightness settings lowered - emit a spectrum of light that negatively affects sleep. I tried to not use any devices for a couple of hours before my scheduled bed time. At the very least, I installed an application called "f.lux" on all my computers. The application filters the type of light that disturbs sleep. It used to be available for iPad, but doesn't seem to be any longer.

Meditation and mindfulness practice are of course helpful ways to manage one's mind, particularly in helping to quiet one's thoughts both throughout the day, and at bed time.

For me, patience coupled with a desire to establish and maintain independence of mind - on a chemical level, as well as in overall functioning - made it all bearable.

I remember at times feeling as though I would lose my mind as a result of my persistent insomnia. But, ultimately, I just felt really tired for a period.

Please be assured that your sleep life will come back to you.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I now use ALL sleep hygiene methods including wearing blue blocker sunglasses after 6 pm when home. I also believe that IT WILL TAKE TIME TO HEAL MY BRAIN THAT I TOOK SORELY ADVANTAGE OF.
I DO BELIEVE WE CAN ALL HEAL.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Beautiful Recovery

Sleep

I am in earlu recovery and it seems I get scared or nervous to take any kind of sleep aid. Any suggestions for a worry freak like me lol.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've tried lots of things...Benadryl works for a few nights and then seems to backfire completely. Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine with some anxiolytic effect...it works pretty well but it gives me dry mouth unless I dump out half the capsule. Certirizine (generic Zyrtec allergy med) has pretty much the same effect...I sleep but I'm a bit of a zombie the next morning.

Melatonin does nothing for me. I have had some success with calcium right before I go to sleep, but it needs to be calcium citrate, not calcium carbonite, which is basically chalk and stops everything up.

Honestly, the best remedy seems to be running or working hard out in the fresh air!
Old 02-28-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to take Benadryl for sleep but had to keep increasing the dose and then it quit working. I got off that and now sleep quite well.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you like to read try Sleeping with Snoozin. It's a great laymans book on sleep suggestions. If you're in early recovery and sleeping some try it natural for the time being. I'm a chronic insomniac and use all the sleep hygiene tips available. I also have tried pills and potions. Trouble is, they only work for a short while. I do use melatonin and Benadryl. Try talking with your doctor or a sleep doctor if it persists. Wishing you well! Hopefully, you'll start sleeping better soon.