Ultramarathoner (My Story)

Old 07-25-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ultramarathoner (My Story)

One year ago I knew this guy who was a daily drinker. Good guy, good family, good job. Just drank to much too often.

He recognized there was an issue when he found himself thinking about alcohol too much- sometimes it would be he first thing that popped into his head in the morning. Sometimes he drank in the morning to manage a hangover.

So, he tried to reduce his alcohol. Drinking only with others, drinking only beer, drinking only a certain number per week, etc. He describes this exercise as mentally taxing and unsuccessful.

He flirted with quitting yet lacked the courage of those on this board to make an absolute decision. So, he continued to moderate until he nearly died.

A significant health issue allowed him greater clarity on the type of life this guy wanted to live and the legacy he wanted to leave. Ironically the health scare had nothing to do with alcohol but provided the push he needed to quit.

This guy approached the journey pretty untraditionally. No labels, no meetings, no counting. His keys?

1. Creating Intense Accountability and Accepting Forever Immediately by including his 10 year old in this decision to be healthier.

2. Recognizing and communicating that his decision is a choice, not punishment. Powerful.

3. Spending time on this website daily where being alcohol free is the norm rather than the exception. The thoughtfulness and generosity of spirit of those on the board is tremendous.

Fast forward a\one year. Saw the guy in the mirror today while shaving. He's happier, healthier, and more prosperous. Every aspect of his life has improved. He's contentedly working in tandem rather than against the Universe and his place in it. He's training for a marathon and an ultra marathon in October.

I'm proud of the courage and resolve that everyone on the board possesses (members or not) and genuinely beleive that everyone has the power within them to accomplish this epic goal.

Last edited by Opivotal; 07-26-2015 at 04:46 AM. Reason: My Story Title Rule