Administrator

Class of August 2014 Part 19

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-18-a-20.html

D
Old 07-21-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey all

Thanks Dee for the new thread. I think the link to this new one is not working so well and it just jumps back a few pages on thread 18? May be me! Thanks for all you do on SR.

Hope everyone is having a good evening!
Old 07-21-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Phew, panic over, found the thread, thank you london! Jeez, I need you guys, and the thought of losing the thread....just no! Can't deal with that! Xxx thanks dee for the new thread! Xx
Old 07-21-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Something tickled me to do, I live in a little village and they are always fundraising for donations for the abbey. The yearly quiz come through my door, and one of the questions? Desperately uncontrollable drinker, but who am I? A, A, 10, 9. Excellent! It's always out there somewhere isn't it?! Managed to laugh it off. Hey, at least I know one answer!

Thanks london for the PM when I panicked at not finding the thread, my hero!

Hope you are all well.

Times rocking up now people, all of you ahead of me sprinting for the one year line, I can see you all in front, and I'm at your heels people! Can you believe it? Really? It's crazy that nearly a year has gone by since we first met. Such special people you are to me, I thank you all x

Ultra, amazing post, look at that man in the mirror....amazing!

No news here, just thinking of you all xxx
Old 07-21-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry for the confusion - all fixed now

D
Old 07-21-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just checking in! New thread bookmarked and ready to go!

Scooter-glad you have a plan.!

Nothing new here-just checking in.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hump day comrades!

Pink, I hear you on the sprint to the finish line of one year!! Unbelievable isn't it?

I don't know why I have been having to beat the av down a lot lately. Curious if others have too? Perhaps it goes with the territory of being so far from the bad feelings and memories and thinking I have changed so now I am probably ok. Yeah right.

"The heart is the chief feature of a functioning mind." Frank Lloyd wright

Determination.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good Morning all! Let's continue the fight and remember why we are doing this.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes-I've been having to reaffirm my commitment to sobriety quite often recently, too, determined. For me, as I get further away from the physical associations-both cravings and hangovers-it just gets to be a mind game. Philosophical points about abstaining, social implications of long term sobriety. All BS, all AV. The AV still manages to whisper lies about an imaginary third option where I only drink at weddings and a few social occasions. Dee's line about confusing abstinence with control is the reminder I hang my hat upon.

Also, I think coming up on a year has me evaluating how the last year has gone, and what I would like to work on this coming year. It's not always a comfortable place to be in, but it pays dividends!

This morning I am grateful for:
coffee
a chest without racing anxiety
summer!
a clear mind
a job
Old 07-22-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Determind and choobie,, Av has been staying over here for a few weeks too. For me I think it is a combination of summer relaxation, which I have never done sober, so wasn't quite sure what to do! The other part is that the further I get from last August, the more the av tells me I'm cured. Obviously this is total B'S, and I will not confuse abstinence with control.

Av is irritating me, I don't want to hear it chuntering in the back ground like a crap song on the radio which I cannot turn off as cannot reach the know. It goes on, and on, playing the same pitiful chorus, hell, it's not even in tune! This is why the power of music has to win, has to drown it out, why I needed my team a play list! Thanks again all!

I think also in the summer more people talk about alcohol. Such as 'ooooh it's beer garden weather', ' can't wait to spark up the bbq, sit on the patio and have a big glas of ice cold wine '(Av loves the extra description There! ), 'cocktails on the decking', 'sangria time, the weather's spanish today, so bring on the sangria!', these are a few things I've heard the last couple of days.

I have decided to play a little psychological conditioning role, which is a bit naughty, a bit get, and a bit actual research! Each time someone mentions alcohol, I mention food. It's interesting how many people then snack on something, as the thought between alcohol and happiness links to my food comment, and the two connect as if eating will satisfy the alcohol yearn......obviously completely subconsciously, I'm a bit geeky, but I've been doing this for the last 2 months and I definitely see a correlation. It also interesting when they say, god, you always talk about food! Ironic, as this must mean they are always talking about drinking??

Not much planned this evening, watching a pirate drama, black sails, and doing a jigsaw. So rock and roll!

Much love xx
Old 07-22-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Loved both of your posts pink and Choobie. That's what this team is about, talking these feelings through and being each other's rock. It is so comforting to know one is not alone in feelings, experiences or inner battles. Playing for keeps!
Old 07-22-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

'Do not let the behaviour of others destroy your inner peace' - dalai lama

So very true xx
Old 07-22-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey all

I had another flat out day at work but all is good with me. I went out for a run tonight and feel very relaxed. I really relate to what you guys have been writing about summer and coming up to a year. My head sometimes tells me "do a year, you are cured" dangerous thinking which I immediately knock back into today and focus on the day and evening I am in right now.

Hoping everyone is doing well.

Scooter - thanks very much for asking about the cigs. Improving and reducing! I am planning a "real cigarette" quit date and hoping to go for 4th August.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi all, its past 2am here and I can't sleep due to a stomach ache, it was 1 month sober for me yesterday. Been to many AA meetings in the past week and got home late last night from one.

Got yet more unwanted phone calls from a woman I met during a binge a few months ago, I've text her at the start of this sobriety stretch to politely ask her to not contact me again as I wanted to concentrate on my sobriety but she still calls usually drunk late at night using withheld numbers to my mobile and landline phones- I never answer now but she still leaves messages with pub music in the background. She's also 'appeared' more than once at the end of my street.... all very creepy!!!

The worst part is she was the person who sent me a worrying drunken text last month that contributed to me relapsing, by the time she'd admitted she'd lied and that she'd sent the text to 'get me out drinking again' it was too late and I'd relapsed.

Find being assertive with people tough, so I'm hoping the nuisance calls just fade away. Apart from this I'm still plodding along and racking up the days...

Hope all is well here.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Need your prayers TeamA, not with AV but with tough family situations, my dear younger sister was hit with some devastating news from her husband this week-will affect her, her two young sons under 2 years old and all of us who love her. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for your sister Grateful.

This woman doesn't sound too healthy 1step...I hope she gets the message.

D
Old 07-22-2015, 10:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey all

Grateful I am thinking of you and your family.

1step - you are doing great. Hope you feel better today. So I can relate to contact from unwanted people - without going into sordid detail some of the people I met and hooked up with on binges needed to go so I changed mobile number, EE did I for free. It also worked for me having a Facebook clear up too and deleting Facebook messenger. Some of those people I also needed to make amends to as part of AA. Not easy but you can do it. You are doing the right thing ignoring this woman.

Wishing everyone a great day! I am on my way to work super early and coffee in hand. I plan to take a day off for my birthday next week if I can get everything wrapped up.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Happy Thursday team!

Grateful, very sorry to hear this. All I can say is just be there, listen, love and do what you can. Please post often and let us help however we can. Love.

1step, treat her as physical manifestation of your av. Ignore, and she will move on by. Trust me. Eye on the prize my friend.

Another great day ahead folks, let's enjoy every second and be grateful for what we have. Smile, hug and laugh!

"Once the game is over, the king and pawn go back into the same box."
Old 07-23-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey Guys,
Hope all is well.
I have had a lot of people ask me if I will allow myself a few social drinks when ive finished my year off. I thought back over the 22 years I tried to control my drinking and try to explain to them how much easier it is for me to not drink than to try and control my drinking. They inevitably look confused.
Thinking back to where I was this time last year makes me cringe. I cant believe I let it get that bad and it makes me nervous to think how quickly I could probably slide back there. Rereading my early posts certainly brings it back. I have only had my driving licence back for 4.5mths but it already seems as though it was years ago!
How quickly I forget,
Have a good one Guys.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Greetings!

Grateful, I am praying for your sister and the rest of the family. Stay strong.
I know how hard it is to deal with a sibling who is suffering.

1Step, I like London's idea of getting a new phone number, especially since she used a number of phones to bother you.

There have been some very powerful posts lately, and I relate to the vast majority. This is a tough time; today I have the lobsterfest; tomorrow I am going to lunch at the outdoor restaurant where I had my last ever drink- a frozen Margarita.

We have come so far, but we cannot forget how awful we were and how much better we are now. We CANNOT decide that we will now be able to moderate with a year of sobriety.

I have a gross memory that I have been using whenever av calls. While working slosely with two smokers on a tough case about fifteen years ago, I started smoking cigarettes again for about a year. I had smoked socially in college and quit after graduation. I would not smoke inside, so I would go out on the little patio of my Boston condo. I did not own an ashtray, so I would use a soda or beer can. One night I was so drunk, I took a swig from that can! Matches and cigarette butts!!!! I gagged, vomited from both the taste and the idea of what I was doing. I never smoked another cigarette. Now, whenever the av acts up in this beautiful weather, I think of that. And, when that no longer works, I will dig up more of my absolutely horrible episodes from my past. That works for me!

Take care everyone. Let's keep on keeping on.