Notices

25 Traits of an Empath

Old 06-28-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post 25 Traits of an Empath

Like others I am and always have been an empath. As far as I'm aware it's not a disorder, but certainly can make like difficult given the wrong circumstances.

Traits of an Empath & How to Recognise One. | elephant journal

25 Traits of an Empath
1. Feels calmer when alone, and, in relationships, requires distance and regular periods of solitude.

2. When in the company of others an empath struggles to work out whether they are feeling their own emotions or the emotions of those around them.

3. Struggles to remain present as the chaos of emotions around them pushes and pulls on an empath’s own thoughts, feelings and emotions.

4. Often says yes to others without thinking of their own needs.

5. In relationships or friendships, very often puts other people before themselves, as though everyone else’s pleasure and happiness is more important than their own.

6. Relationships can often move too fast and can become intense very quickly as the empath connects on a deep, intimate level very quickly due to the ability to absorb other people’s energy and emotions.

7. An empath will often take full responsibility for how others treat them and for anything that goes wrong in relationships. They have a great amount of compassion and can clearly see other people’s emotional baggage and so they make many excuses for why people behave as they do, and this is very often to the detriment of an empath.

8. Tends to connect with people who are suffering and often wants to heal others or try to make the world a better place for them.

9. Can find themselves taking on and absorbing other people’s problems and being used as a sounding board or dumping ground so that others can offload their emotional baggage.

10. Instinctively knows when someone around them is not being truthful.

11. Sometimes empaths just know things, without having any idea of where they gained the information. When trying to work out the truth from a lie it can seem as though the information has been presented forward so that it can be used to help make a decision. The empath should only trust the information if they are highly skilled at reading themselves and others accurately and if paranoia or other information is not clouding their judgement.

12. An empath’s mind is an inquisitive one and they are constantly searching for answers and theorize and philosophise constantly.

13. An empath who is highly in tune with themselves and skilled at reading others will often be able to pick up on someone else’s thought processes even if they are thousands of miles away.

14. Connects very strongly to the animal kingdom and identifies very easily with the emotional and physical pains that animals go through.

15. Is often most at peace and feeling harmonious when spending time with nature and roaming around the outdoors.

16. Can feel the energy surrounding physical things and will often choose clothing or material purchases based on the energy that has attached to them.

17. Very creative and highly imaginative, writing, art, music, painting, dancing, acting, painting, building and designing are a few of the traits that empaths very often are passionate about.

18. An empath will likely get distracted easily when they are doing things they don’t enjoy and will quickly zone out or day dream when placed in situations where their mind is not stimulated.

19. Can struggle to fully relax in the company of others and really let their hair down and have fun, unless they are extremely comfortable and at ease with those surrounding them.

20. Prefers their living space to be clutter free and minimalistic; chaotic surroundings make for chaotic minds for an empath and they have enough inner sensations happening without cluttering their psyche further.

21. Finds it very difficult to be around people who are egotistical or enjoy putting others down to make themselves look better. Empaths will often come to the defense of those that have been rejected or bullied in any way.

22. Crowded places are emotionally overwhelming and downtime is required after social gatherings.

23. Highly sensitive to sounds, smells, bright lights and the feel of certain fabrics.

24. Regularly suffers with fatigue and can feel drained following interactions with others.

25. Can become shy and withdrawn as a method of self-protection. This can result in empaths becoming introverts as a way of avoiding the emotional and physical pain that often stems from interactions.

As mentioned in the article it is both a blessing and a curse. Any empaths here?

Old 06-28-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I admire the trait of Empathy. I've always viewed it as showing compassion without feeling sorry for the person, or viewing them as pathetic.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just read another post of yours, I think I misunderstood the whole thing. I think I spoke out where I had no business doing so. Sorry.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Which one 'can't sleep', am I not showing enough empathy in that one? Oh I am definitely an empath alright. But I've also been an alcoholic for 2 decades.

I know nothing about this, it has caused me much sufferings. See no.'s 1,2,3,4,5,7,9,10 and maybe 21 (plus bits of more) if you are referring to that thread.

I cannot do it anymore. That is the whole point of the thread. And particularly when I am moving on to the next person always. It's at my greatest expense.

I suffer big-time. I need some F'n help here (in that thread) which I'm not getting. And don't worry, I will be expounding a plenty on it over the coming days.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well thank you anyway for the total ambiguity show here, Airwick. It really hasn't helped me or anyone one little bit.

You could've at least replied in the thread you're referring to rather than draw some vague correlation with this one.

A subject I might add that I would imagine is a lot more complex than the simplification expressed in your initial post.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It was written just to express my view, I told you I might have misunderstood the point you were trying to get across

Have a great day!
Old 06-29-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Theres no point! I would just like to learn a bit more about this.

Right and you, sorry for being petulant was having a rough nite.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stratman: I hope you are having a better morning today
Old 06-30-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Will do! I am me and I am free (for a few hours lol)
Old 09-30-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, fellow empath

I'm also an empath. Struggling with sobriety. I don't know anyone else in the same boat as me in my day to day life.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good God!

This describes me to a "T".

Thanks for posting it.

So, if this isn't a disorder, maybe I'm not crazy...
Old 09-30-2015, 10:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kristina NL

D
Old 10-01-2015, 02:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Kristina
Old 10-17-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Night owl

I call myself pathologically empathic because it really is both blessing and curse and can make life exceptionally painful at times. Sometimes I can take on other's pain, even physically, and that is very hard and challenging. At the same time, when I am feeling stronger it feels like a real gift if I can help lift another's burden even for a short time. Sometimes just listening to someone, letting them know they are not alone is the greatest of gifts, whether to give or receive.

I've met people without empathy (my former doctor told me she didn't have empathy and I should have listened) and that seems like an awful way to live, painful.

Even though it can be difficult, I am grateful to be able to feel. It helps to read things about it, like the sensitivities and need for quiet and solitude.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow this sounds totally like me. Never heard of it before.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am VERY much an empathy and have known it since I was a kid. My AF is too. It is interesting...my fiancé and I are both empaths and have both had addictions. I wonder if it's somehow connected? But a lot of empaths are also enablers (which both of us can be as well).
Old 09-28-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Makes sense

I never felt truly comfortable around people til I was taking pills. Then I thought I found the missing link. I thought I was who I was supposed to be, and that it helped me to better shed the sensitivity in myself so I could feel normal. Processing too many people at once can be overwhelming. Especially when you can sense the pain they are in. Animals too. How am I supposed to deal with this? I've become very reclusive. I just get so drained, yet I feel alot of sympathy for everyone and thing. How do you block it better? I talked to.my sister about this, and she researched it, and I learned what an empath is. I described almost all of the above 25 things. Now I feel like an alien. I just want to feel like I'm comfortable and secure and at the same time, helping people if that makes sense. Sorry for rambling.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Nudre - you're among friends here

D
Old 09-29-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Nudre