I received the book today!

Old 06-09-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I received the book today!

I feel kind of weird posting in this forum.
I looked at the Rational Recovery website and really could identify with it. I had never really heard of it before. What led me to it was the fact that the mental chatter in my head would not stop and it seemed i could do nothing about it.
I have a bit more control mentally than i think i do. Quitting smoking was no problem for me after 18 years of doing it. There is something to that. I'm going to tap into that and see if i can use that mental set up towards my taper.
I did some research online about vitamins and minerals and how important they can be during a taper/detox.
I purchased l-tyrosine, a couple of strong b vitamins, E, a strong multi vitamin and some homeopathic remedies for the leg cramps and rls I've been having.
I'm down to 1 mg. Actually a little less. I had an appt with my regular doc and we discussed everything above. He also prescribed Buspar, a non narcotic anxiety med. He also prescribed Tramadol, however, I've used it in the past and it didn't seem to do anything for pain, so I'll have to do my homework on that. Of course he recommended exercise and finding a hobby or something i can really get into. I do love my job so I'm fortunate there. I'm a florist so i get to play with flowers all day!
I'm also very excited about reading this book, Rational Recovery. I know it's different from what a lot of people do but if it works for me, I'll try it! I'll keep posting. This site is awesome!
Old 06-09-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find the book beneficial Peanut
D
Old 06-09-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

I hope you like it as much as I did !
Old 06-09-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I'm also very excited about reading this book, Rational Recovery. I know it's different from what a lot of people do but if it works for me, I'll try it!
I underestand that the vast majority of alcohics quit drinking and end their addction to alcohol without recourse to any formal recovery program. What you are looking at is precisely what 'a lot of people do'. Rational Recovery is nothing magic, it is nothing more than the collected experience of those who quit drinking 'by themselves'.

You can do it too, Peanut44. Believe in yourself, your ability to make the right decisions, and believe you deserve a life without the misery of alcoholism. Please do keep posting, there is a lot of support for you here. Onward!

p.s.: I'm a little excited too!
Old 06-10-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just finished reading it and it has helped me a lot. I hope it helps you too
Old 06-10-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Truth is, EVERYBODY (100%) quit on their own--even checking into detox is a volitional act. Once quit, some of us decide to "de-cover" by slumming with booze and that always goes bad (have yet to read a success story on that one). Congrats on finding something that resonates louder than the AV noise !
Old 06-10-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's the darndest thing.....

I'm about halfway thru the book but I've been feeling different about the whole taper thing. All of a sudden it feels like no big deal. I was stressing hard but it's different now.

My AV was roaring all the time but the more I notice it, the less it talks. Silence is golden! Lol!

This method is a game changer for me!

I'm still tapering off of the suboxone and going to another step down next week. Nice and easy. I'm a little physically uncomfortable but it's worth it to know my body is healing. In the book it also said something that helped me immensely.

It said, "you choose to detox". I'm not a victim to my taper. I'm doing it on purpose. I'm in control. I choose to go thru this so I could get off pills. There's a lot of freedom for me in that.

So far, so good!