Notices

Detox and job application

Old 06-06-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox and job application

Hello all,

I'm currently applying to a job which includes security clearance. Would this investigation be able to access my stay in detox?
I only spent a weekend and signed myself out.
Please help I'm worried and feel like withdrawing my application to this exciting position?
I know a person who works in this field, who knows I don't drink, doesn't know about AA. He tells me they're gonna ask about my drinking history.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
totfit

If asked directly about drinking history, I would say that I used to drink, but that it did not agree with you and you are now abstinent. I would not volunteer my stay, but by admitting you can't drink (or that it does not agree with you) then you are covering that base in a sense if they uncover it (which I seriously doubt). They will likely only do a criminal background check and if it is a TS or better clearance do some interviews with neighbors and/or friends at the most. For a lower level clearance they will not delve too deep. The biggest thing is not to outright lie as that may preclude the clearance if it is found. Really, it is not nearly as big a deal as you are making in your mind. I think all of us have a tendency to "awfulize" things like this. The reality is that this is pretty routine and a detox is not totally horrible. A standard criminal background check and credit check will likely be the meat of the check.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Given the HIPPA laws without a signed waiver from you they can't access your medical records.