Notices

Down Time

Old 05-29-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Down Time

With all I have done, one would think I would be the happiest man in town.

I quit drinking over two years ago
Got a handle on a raging sex addiction
See a therapist regularly
See a psychiatrist regularly
Got on medication (Wellbutrin, Buspar) and take it faithfully....

Yet I often feel so sad, maybe even more than in the past. Couple of nights ago I got in such a low I was trying to cry, but just couldn't. I seem to not be able to accomplish much, when I do it is with great effort and sometimes not my best work. I get into a lot of "poor me" periods. I am isolating; when someone asks me to do something with them, as simple as lunch with a friend, I immediately want to make an excuse and stay in.

I feel empty and dull. Before I was a mess and all over the place emotionally, but this feeling of "nothing" is getting old.

I know no one has an answer here (well, maybe... I can hope), I just needed to rant to people who know what I am feeling.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have felt that way recently. It lasted a few months and got pretty scary for a time. I too was isolating quite a bit . I did manage to force myself out with people but I felt awful many times when I did. I tried to struggle through it but eventually I gave up doing things that I had at one time loved to do. I lost motivation to work out and felt "empty" and depressed for a long time. I stopped wanting to go outside and do something as simple as walk my dog. I avoided most people and started sleeping in more and more often. A combination of things helped me to get out of it. I started reaching out again no matter how bad I felt or how disappointed I was with the results of going out and doing things with people. Eventually it started to pass the more I went out and I started talking to people again. Also my psychiatrist switched me to a different class of medications when I told her about how I was feeling. I also just got outside and got more sunshine which helped an awful lot. I am not totally where I want to be yet and am still a little spooked about that low feeling and scared it might return. But I am slowly moving on and away from those feelings and just living again. Hope that helps.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

I used to feel that way often.
It wasn't until I saw a psychiatrist again than I knew that I was suffering from depression.
The Lithium that I still take sort of masks the depression -- sort of a blah feeling.
He wanted to put me on wellbutrin, but I elected to try physical exercise instead.
These days the most effective weapon I have to combat depression is prayer.