Secularity

Old 05-06-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Secularity

I think secularity is misunderstood. Many people seem to think it is synonymous with atheism, but it isn't. Taking the colloquial wikipedia definition:

Secularity: is the state of being separate from religion, or not being exclusively allied with or against any particular religion.

We all do secular things every day. I stop at red lights without any religious impications whatsoever. I pay the cashier for my groceries and religion plays no part at all. These are secular activities.

Likewise I have recovered from my addiction to alcohol in a secular manner. There was nothing religious about my drinking. There is nothing religious about me not drinking. I simply stopped.

Many people choose to bring religion into their recovery experience. I have no problem with that as long as it is working for them. I just don't want any newcomers to think you have to be an atheist to give secular recovery a try.

I'm not an atheist, but I have recovered in a secular manner. Keep reading and give secular recovery a try. All you have to lose is your addiction to alcohol.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post Non!!

I'm very much the same in my recovery, religion didn't play any part, put I wouldn't say I'm an atheist, just haven't really practiced anything in a long time!!

Whatever works for everyone, I'm all for!!
Old 05-06-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Ditto.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I agree Secular does not mean Atheist. However its very rare that I see posts on "Secular Connections" that come even close to suggesting that you need to be an atheist to be part of Secular Recovery. I am not sure in the dynamic discussions we have on this part of SR that anyone would be put off especially a newcomer.
I just cant imagine a newcomer coming into this forum, reading the posts and coming away with an idea that "wow thats an atheism forum".
Old 05-06-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I largely agree.

I find, however, that the word secular is rarely used in the USA, and it's typically being used in a negative manner when it is used. Hopefully that phenomenon hasn't spread beyond our borders.

I just don't want people to miss out on the variety of useful sobriety tools available in the secular forums because they never look. Seemed like getting a post about secularity hitting the forum homepage might help with that. Thanks for the assist!
Old 05-06-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
...holds the key

From one non-atheist whose recovered in a secular manner to another.........awesome post!
Old 05-06-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just think of it as "recovery". The secular part seems partly historical - the first S in SOS is "Secular" and they were (I think still are) part of the Council for Secular Humanism, LSR was an offshoot of SOS and kept the "Secular" part, etc.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To me secular in the context of recovery means not centering your approach on a deity. I'm an atheist (okay, agnostic on a good day ) but even if there is a god out there it's not going to cure an addiction problem. You could certainly be religious and yet still choose a secular approach. In that context secular just means based on science as opposed to theology.

A label isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I haven't seen Jazzfish in awhile? Normally she would chime in on this.

Hope she's alright. Yo lady drop back in and say hi!
Old 05-08-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i think i've seen his new avatar around. hm...i always assumed he's a he, but now that i think of it, i have no idea why i assume that
Old 05-08-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
I haven't seen Jazzfish in awhile? Normally she would chime in on this. Hope she's alright. Yo lady drop back in and say hi!
Jazzfish posted only yesterday on the Jason Vale thread here at SC.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh cool.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I'm here and also a guy. To me 'secular' is primarily a code word for "not that other program".
Old 05-08-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
quat

Oh good it's not just me thinking that
Old 05-09-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
I'm here and also a guy. To me 'secular' is primarily a code word for "not that other program".

I don't know why I thought you were a missing woman....... Nevermind lol
Old 05-09-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
I don't know why I thought you were a missing woman....... Nevermind lol
You probably saw my picture on a milk carton.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Non, this is a great post.
I draw my strength from God. But I feel that He gave me wisdom to explore any & all avenues of recovery. My recovery has spanned the last yr & is anything but conventional.
I kicked prescription methadone & norco w/heroin...so to speak ( & I still found my previously prescribed klonopin on the str. ) Then I kicked heroin & klonopin w/rehab & suboxine. Then I kicked suboxine at home & discovered SR & Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. No counseling, no meetings, ect...

I do my daily devotions here at SR in the Christians in Recovery forum. Then I slide over to the Secular Connections for Friends & Family forum to say hi to my new friends there.

I'm a square peg that can't be crammed into a round hole.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
My observation is that nothing works for everyone.

I know what you meant, though, PK. Your wording just gave me an opportunity to bring up something else that was on my mind.

In the context of addiction, I truly don't care what path an individual chooses so long as it works for that person. Many of the recovered ardently advocate for the method that worked for them as the "only true path". I don't like it, but I sometimes wonder if their path to sobriety involves being a priest of their recovery method. That if they gave up recruiting for their cause they might also start (or be at greater risk to start) drinking/using again. If that's the case, then by my own values, I have to accept their proselytizing as well.

O brave new world that has such people in it.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

'I have to accept their proselytizing as well.'

Welp, that makes one of us!-) I don't have to, and choose not to.

The true Masters at about anything don't proselytize, or blather on about what true Masters they are. I hone in on what Lessons Masters have to convey. This Message Selectivity is not at odds with learning Lessons from unexpected Persons, or in unexpected Situations while remaining open. Ya get old, and your Instincts hone to viscerally know a valuable Lesson - and a Mindful Person - when you're in the midst of one. To me, discernment about Messages and Messengers is no different than choosing to endure a Drunken Wedding Reception [or not]. No need to endure either Scenario... Practicing Discernment makes you better at doing so.

As a [W]ussy Tennis Player in High School, we learned that you only get better by playing someone better. I observe this same Guideline when filtering through Sobriety Advice, and who's giving it. Instincts that also served me well back when deciding whom to accept a Ride from while Hitchhiking.

Generally speaking, overt Proselytizing is simply an insecure Ego on display, IMO. Not to be confused with sincere enthusiasm about something...

Replace the word 'Daylight' with 'Sober Time left', and this Quote applies:

'We're burnin' Daylight' ~ John Wayne ~ 'The Cowboys' 1972
-
Old 05-11-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I definitely discriminate between message and messenger. By accept I meant that I can accept that some people may need to be messengers as part of their recovery. That does not mean I accept their message.

If someone posted that they got sober because they realized a giant invisible poop demon was hovering over them and the next time they drank it would bury them in feces I would not start believing in giant invisible poop demons. I also wouldn't argue with that person if believing what they believe is keeping them sober.

Given that I haven't noted you arguing with any proselytizers on these boards, I sense we are in violent agreement.