Notices

exhausted trying to be positive

Old 04-15-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

exhausted trying to be positive

I'm currently working on trying to be a more positive person. ... my goodness it's hard work and exhausting.
I've struggled with depression and other issues all my life and to be honest I am so sick and tired of it all.
I've tried all sorts of things over the years. I'm now working on trying to be positive and mindful. ... it's so hard to spin every single feeling into this completely opposite idea.
I'm a glass half empty person and am trying to change myself into a glass half full one. Any advice would be great.
Just to add to my struggles. .. my work will be changing soon.... getting taken from the department I love... not been told where I will be going. ..... they will tell me in the next two months.
Mr p is working away and I hate it. .. he got a new job a year ago and it seems to be part of it. ... never know when or how long for he will be away.
He hates it too but is coping with it. No other work out there at the moment. .... I on the other hand am not coping.
Can't sleep. Not eating.
Just about functioning.
I just can't convince myself that it's going to be ok.
I miss him soo much... I've tried the keep busy etc. Just seems like I'm expected to lie to myself and others. .. by saying that I'm ok etc.
Sorry for the rant
Have tried to talk to people in real life but they just don't get it.
I'm wishing my life away until he's home... can't trick myself into this live in the present time stuff.....
Just want to scream and cry and hide.
Xx
Old 04-15-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((Petals)))

do you have any sober friends to hang out with?

D
Old 04-16-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

It's Ok to feel stressed out when your job is changing and sad that your hubby is away. It will probably keep you stuck to try and pretend you should put a positive spin on everything. A trick I learned was to say to myself "yeah this sucks but I can handle it" while I rub my arm. Venting helps a lot too.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know your feelings well. I suffer from depression as well. I never found that think positive be positive stuff helpful. But I did find a book that changed my life. It's called:

Learned Optimism by Martin E. P. Seligman,PhD.

He is a practicing psychologist who is also a founder of The Positive Psychology Center at The University of Pennsylvania.

He has a cognitive behavior technique that works something like this:

Let's say you say to yourself " this is such a bad day nothing is going right." As soon as you hear it, stop it, challenge it, and replace it with facts. Like " the day isn't bad but a lot of stuff is going wrong today but I can handle it. See it isn't all sunshiney but it does lessen the dark outlook. The book is widely available and I strongly recommend it. It really helped change my life.