Notices

BPD and Alcoholism

Old 03-26-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

BPD and Alcoholism

Hi all. Yesterday I received a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder. Anyone else dealing with this? I am currently 7 months sober, attend AA and work weekly with a therapist.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bpd

Originally Posted by desertsweetpea View Post
Hi all. Yesterday I received a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder. Anyone else dealing with this? I am currently 7 months sober, attend AA and work weekly with a therapist.
I have been also diagnosed with BPD I am a chronic relapser and I have bulimia. I have been going to AA for a couple of years and I have just started with a therapist. I am also going to be starting a DBT group. I am having a hard time right now. I'm always angry and irritable. What has worked for you so far?
Old 05-04-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is very common among alcoholics. Maybe some people in your aa group have good recommendations and can relate?
Old 05-12-2015, 02:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed with BPD and I've also been an alcoholic for 5 years. Really struggling getting through all this sobriety madness without a therapist.

At least you seem to be on the road to a better future. How's that working for you?
Old 05-12-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
dunkelheit, welcome to SR. I hope you find some answers and loads of support here. We've got a good recovery community.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. It helps to know that I'm not alone in struggling with this personality disorder and trying to maintain sobriety. I just finished a six week emotional regulation course and also work weekly with a therapist that specializes in DBT. On top of that I attend 3-4 AA meetings weekly, do step work with a sponsor and participate in service work when I can. For the most part the alcohol cravings are gone and I feel more confident in my sobriety. I'm really struggling with self acceptance and emptiness right now. Anyone else have a hard time connecting with people?
Old 05-18-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have BPD and have a hard time with relationships in general.
Feel free to add me as a friend or PM me if you would like to chat
Old 05-18-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ive actually only just realized how much of a problem BPD is for me....even though I was diagnosed years ago *DUH*. I guess I kind of ignored it, then lately Ive been in quite a crisis for a month and I looked at some informative videos and read some articles and began seeing my psychologist again, and came to the conclusion that the BPD MUST be treated, or my chances of staying sober are very slim.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am also looking into DBT. It is supposed to work quite well. What was your experience with it?
Old 05-18-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Wind Dancer. So far my experience with DBT has been positive. There is a lot of Zen based skill involved, mindfulness, self soothing and meditation practice. I'm the type of person whose emotions can shift very quickly (a trait a lot of us have I'm betting) so my therapist and I have been working on catching those shifts before they become extreme. Extreme emotions lead me to destructive behaviors. Right now it's mostly education about my disorder. Some days are pretty smooth, some are pretty exhausting, but I do feel that therapy is moving me in the right direction.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the response That gives me some hope.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey. I haven't been on here in like a year and half... about six months ago I did a DBT group and it was really helpful. I haven't been that good about daily practice, in fact I've fallen back into "checking out" constantly, but trying to work on that (that's why I'm back). It was really hard to be in the group though... I felt like I was a child. Like I'd never learned how to function in the real world and here I was as an adult learning things that everyone already knew. But at the end of the day, it was either DBT or nothing, so I stuck with it. Good luck to you all!
Old 08-19-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think everyone is Borderline Personality Disorder especially us whom do "too much" just human nature and how docs diagnose it is likely by ethical gut instinct and their views on putting people on disability. I know for a fact I have BPD if not PD b/c I see things, I hear things yet doc doesnt put me on pogey. Thats why shopping for a doc is crucial and i have no worry about drugs but its easy to slip into that world far to easy with the docs mentallity of treating every little minor problem with a pill that costs money not out of his pocket but out of mine. Once did I ever get a printout for sleep never was I educated on alternatives never!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joecee View Post
I think everyone is Borderline Personality Disorder especially us whom do "too much" just human nature and how docs diagnose it is likely by ethical gut instinct and their views on putting people on disability.
This statement piqued my interest - is it treated as a disability in the USA, or was that just a figure of speech?

I know a couple people (and am no longer in touch with a couple more) who might have the condition. Getting their situation manageable seems hopeless, but maybe with a little bit of support from the state, I could have a hope.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

joecee, I'm not really sure what you mean...

BPD is a real illness and not everyone has it. Diagnosis is based on qualifying symptoms and their severity in disruption of the patient's life. I don't have full bpd because I am missing the "hallmark" trait, however I do suffer from the general personality disorder criteria (my official diagnosis is personality disorder - not otherwise specified).

Further, the treatment for bpd is not medication, it's dbt (dialectical behavioural therapy). Docs don't prescribe drugs for bpd. Unless you're thinking bpd = bipolar disorder and not borderline personality disorder? That would make your post make more sense to me.

Liberator - I'm not sure what it's like in the USA, but anyone can read up on mindfulness aka dbt and start to work through the material. I found some great literature online that doesn't require any state support, although I also did a government program in my home country.

There is hope for those with bpd or other personality disorders. It just takes a whole lot of work from the person with the disorder and lots of support from family and friends. I've also read that the symptoms get less severe with time, although I've personally known some older people who were still suffering.