Notices

Will i ever feel normal again

Old 03-17-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will i ever feel normal again

Rough day. I just need someone to tell me that I will be that normal happy women I once was. Today I wonder if I will ever get any better. I am only 3 days sober so I shouldn't expect a miracle I guess. But I am so exhausted, its so tiring having these mental issues. GAD, OCD, and depression. I hope that my not drinking will help me, I am not delusional though and I know it wont solve everything. I just hope it helps so I can take the steps to better my life. I cant do much of anything right now. I have anxiety almost all day, mainly about people dying, my future, that state of my life. Has anyone came out on the other side even though they felt this awful? Or am I doomed?
Old 03-17-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi needtostop. I have suffered anxiety too. I read about how meditation can help. Maybe try? I did some regularly years ago and it actually kind of helped even though I only lasted a short time.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just got a meditation book. I just need to start reading it. No time! lol. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to relax and read some of it. I know nothing about meditating. I do deep breathing, well when I can remember too.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by needtostopthis View Post
Rough day. I just need someone to tell me that I will be that normal happy women I once was. Today I wonder if I will ever get any better. I am only 3 days sober so I shouldn't expect a miracle I guess. But I am so exhausted, its so tiring having these mental issues. GAD, OCD, and depression. I hope that my not drinking will help me, I am not delusional though and I know it wont solve everything. I just hope it helps so I can take the steps to better my life. I cant do much of anything right now. I have anxiety almost all day, mainly about people dying, my future, that state of my life. Has anyone came out on the other side even though they felt this awful? Or am I doomed?
Recovery is a process for me, something I will work on for the rest of my life. Yes, it does get better, but it's taken me a lot of work. The first step was stopping drinking and staying stopped. The rest followed.

10 years later I can't believe how incredibly good life is. I still have my difficulties but I have the tools of recovery to help me cope with them. More importantly, I have the support of many others in recovery. I know I never have to go though anything alone.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

3 days is awesomeness-in-motion! I only have to make it through today w/out drinking or hurting anybody/myself (at 9+ months) and yes, I meditate as well as a host of other positive things that were impossible while still drinking--You will too.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Three days is great, you should be very proud as many can't get to this point (acute withdrawal issues).

I've had anxiety off and on for most of my life, as well as depression in the last 10-15 years. Alcohol was my "medication" for anxiety and it was highly effective...until it wasn't. All I can say is that you should be patient and treat yourself with kindness and compassion during the recovery process. I had to deal with what's called post acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) and it was definitely a process.

Basically your brain chemistry has to get back to a normal state (without the alcohol influence) and this times time. Good news is that this does happen and the positive energy you get from being sober is awesome!

I also went onto an antidepressant (Lexapro) and anxiety med (Buspar), which has helped quite a bit, but as your brain heals I won't need it for the long term.

How's your sleep? Make sure you can get good rest as its critical to the neurochemical healing process. I had to use a sleep aid for a while but now not as often.

Hang in there!