Notices

Mental issues lead to alcohol/weed use?

Old 03-14-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mental issues lead to alcohol/weed use?

My 20 year old college student was depressed for many years even back in high school. Never would get help or admit it. As the years have gone by he is getting worse. His 1st girlfriend said he was always sad and after 9 months she broke up with him. That really crushed him. He had been cutting for years as well and we never knew until the night the gf broke up with him. He was admitted to a troubled childrens hospital for a 72 hr watch which he blames me for not getting him out. I realize it was extreme but that is what the dr said and if I pulled him out they would over ride me... So he had met a new girl w/in 3 weeks and according to him "she saved my life". Well, he was great for the first 6 months with her. Then he started withdrawing and not doing for her anymore. He would tell her about his problems, etc and but he would never tell his family what was bothering him. He withdrew from his family, no longer would eat with them or go out to eat or spend any time with them. He focused more on the gf and at that time his group of drinking friends. Fast forward to now... He has 1 friend and the gf has most likely broken up with him. He has cut all ties with his old friends. He associates with no one at college and spends the time he is at school alone in his apartment. He told me he goes to class, speaks to no one, looks down at the ground walking until he gets back to his apartment. He had a break down the other day because the girlfriend finally had enough. He hates the family business and if I bring up our family vacations he cries. He cries if I mention the family business. The only thing he says is that I was not allowed to do what I truly wanted with my life and that upsets him...
So my ? is .... Does this sound like a mental illness? He doesn't take care of himself and has gained 50lbs. He does not bathe often and keeps his room and apartment messy.

I have tried talking to him about seeing a psychiarist but he refuses. I told him no car and no money until he seeks help. I feel there is something wrong. He told me he hates our town, he hates the people, he hates college, he hates everything and just cries. He plans on graduating college early so he can move away and I asked him if he felt it will be better then and he didn't know.

I need him to get help before he gets worse but he is 20 and is refusing. He told me he is not thinking of suicide.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm no expert but it sounds like depression and therapy or a psychiatrist might be helpful. But, he's an adult and can make his own decisions obviously.

I was 41 when I bottomed out on alcohol and also came to understand that I had anxiety and depression issues. Some of us don't want to recognize that, we think we're doing fine until we hit a bottom.