Notices

Why don't people believe it?

Old 03-09-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why don't people believe it?

About 10 years ago I had many people tell me they didn't believe I have Restless Leg Syndrome and they didn't think it was a real condition. Now more people know about RLS and believe me more. But why did they think I was imagining it before?

I would tell them the symptoms and that I can't eat sugar or have much caffeine because it triggers it and despite my constant turning down tasty foods and soda, people still thought the pain was in my head or I was exaggerating it.

Now I have people not believing I have ADD and OCD. I've never been diagnosed with either so ADD is somewhat questionable, but I know for a fact I have OCD, where I have to repeat things to alleviate obsessive worrying. From all I've read of ADD I show some pretty strong signs of having that, too, and the two go together frequently. A lot of people don't believe ADD is real at all. I wonder why that is and I had a guy really argue with me about having OCD yesterday.

I don't understand why. Anyone else get told something is all in your head, like you are imagining it all, even though you know you have all the symptoms? I don't believe OCD or Restless Leg Syndrome is diagnosable anyway, not with medical equipment.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's a good idea not to expect other people to understand, they don't. In the same way I can't get inside the head of someone with diabetes and know what that's like. Just take it one day at a time, focus on the next right action. Let go of the beliefs of others.........
Old 03-09-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're right. I should probably not even open up about it to others who don't have the same conditions. They really don't need to know.