Notices

Just diagnosed with OCD

Old 03-05-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just diagnosed with OCD

I feel like crumbling right now. I knew probably had ocd but having it in writing really sucks right now. I have GAD and some depression already. I just saw my new psych. doctor and I really thought he was great. He has prescribed Klonopin for me. He did not give it to me for my OCD though as he said it doesn't work well for ocd. He wanted me to start a ssri or snri but I have had horrible side effects from them and I told him all about it, so he agreed to just start with this and see how it goes. I feel really lost right now. I am 9 days sober and was doing pretty good and actually have had a decline in anxiety since I stopped drinking. I have taken klonopin in the past and it does work for me. I guess I am just upset that it wont work for my ocd. My ocd is about my family dying. I work myself into a such a state over the worry of my husband or my son dying, that I cant function. I know this post is all overt the place. I don't know what I even want from this post. I guess to know if this is really ocd? If klonopin can work for ocd? And just some sympathy I guess, lol. Help!
Old 03-05-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Recently I went to a mental health seminar. One of the things they discussed is that most mental illness was only given a name due to insurance coding. That before insurance coding, you were simply treated for symptoms through appropriate Rx and therapy.

I don't think you need to get all caught up in being "diagnosed" with anything. Are you in therapy?? If not, get yourself there pronto. As far as this working for your issue, time will tell. Until then, don't backslide because someone wrote OCD on a piece of paper.

Hugs. Breathe and take it a moment at a time.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found that benzos like Klonopin are just substitutes for drinking and in fact many call them "booze in a pill." I was prescribed its sister drug, Xanax. It works, but it's easy for us to lean on it too much and start to take too much of it. I don't take it or any other drugs right now. I do think harm can be done by a doctor telling us we have some serious psychological "disorder" - usually based on one visit with them.

Does the prescribing doctor know that you have substance abuse issues? Just be careful with it.

I found my obsessive thoughts were better treated with Cognitive Behavior Therapy and meditation, exercise, prayer and healthy nutrition. I cannot take SSRIs either. Those intrusive thoughts you are having may respond to talk therapy. I don't know, and obviously no one here can diagnose you.

Just keep searching. You don't have to continue to torture yourself with your own thoughts. I think I've said that to you before...
Old 03-05-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank u both. I was 100 percent honest about my drinking issues. I have taken klonopin before and I never abused it. I actually had 60 pills that lasted a full year because I only took it when I felt really bad. I am not worried so much about abusing, more getting used to it and then having to wean off another med. I am just tired of the med merry go round. I don't even know why this has me so uspet, I knew I had it deep down and I actually wanted to know if I truly did, now I do and I am so upset. I just feel like this is another challenge for me. I am in therapy and have been for about 5 months. It helps but it is not 100 percent of course.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Also, at nine days sober, obsessive thoughts are pretty much the definition of what's going on with us.

Not to make fun of your misery, at all. The Klonopin will help you - but then there is withdrawal from it - also not fun. It is to be expected to have crazy brain right now - you are less than two weeks sober! It will get better all on its own. Just give it time and try to distract yourself when the thoughts come - don't dwell on them.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank u. And not to be argumentive (hope I don't come off like that) but I had this obsessive though/thoughts even before I stopped drinking. I don't think it has anything to do with my stopping, as a matter of fact I feel much better anxiety wise at least since I stopped drinking. But I hear you on the klonopin withdrawl. I didn't have it the last time I took it because I took it so sporadically I think. I don't know I just feel so lost right now. Like how will I ever have a normal life? I am tired of fighting to feel well. I just hope that all my problems were caused by alcohol, and they resolve once I am sober for awhile, but that's probably wishful thinking.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Give it time.

I got obsessively morose when I was drinking. I got spinny brain, circular intrusive thoughts. I didn't really get past that until I was at about four months...I mean, it lessened after about a month, but the thoughts are pretty crazy. The brain has gone through a lot. Take your Klonopin. Sounds like you are aware. It gets better. One day at a time.

You're going to be okay. There is help for all this. A lot of it is time. Meditation was helpful to me, as well as classical music, exercise, herbal tea.

Have you tried AA meetings? They helped me a lot in those first four months.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank u so much. I have not done AA yet but plan too. I have been insanely busy but I plan to next week. My therapist really wants me to do AA or as he said at least try it once and see what I think.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are wise to only take the Klonopin when absolutely necessary. The more I am able to handle my anxiety without resorting to it, the stronger I feel.

OCD is just a form of anxiety, nothing less. Anxiety can be managed without resorting to SSRIs or other medications. But you will have to re-learn to experience anxiety and other negative feelings without the cushion of alcohol to ameliorate it.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So far i have only taken one klonopin. It made me pretty tired and so far i have not needed it. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 03-12-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have OCD as well and can totally sympathize. When I get anxious it gets worse. I fight it as much as possible and try not to give into the repetitive urges and over the years it has improved.