Administrator

Class of January 2015 Part 3

We continue from here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-20.html

D
Old 01-17-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

In. I very nearly messed up big time about 90 minutes ago. Was feeling low about my laziness still and had done made up my mind I was going to get a drink. I had my coat on and everything. But I had such anxiety in my chest, I thought right I'll practise my mindfulness for a minute. If I still want to go I will but just to feel better before I go. Then I did a spot of focusing on the hot feeling in my chest and doing EFT (tapping on acupuncture spots on face and chest). When I'd calmed down. I realised I didn't want to give up my 16 days or set myself back and it wasn't going to help my laziness not one bit. OMG ty lord lol. I still went to the shop but brought a Cream Cake and had it with a pint of milk instead. F my diet today. I still feel like **** but at least I'm sober.

Rambling again. Do hope you get used to me soon
Old 01-17-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done JackDsMissus on getting through the situation

I've had a few white knuckle rides and like you resorted to buying cakes, sweets and biscuits. I don't know why it does seem to supress the cravings
Old 01-17-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I should have been like Missus, but I impulsively went out and bought wine, had 2 glasses and threw out the rest. I ate a ton of food and that helped me not have more to drink.
I forgot about urge surfing and my commitment, or was simply mindless. If I had just waited out the craving, I would've been fine. I was exhausted. I had come off of a stressful situation and was relieved, but I tend to want to drink when I feel relieved after stress. I have to pay attention even if I'm exhausted. If I had just lay down for a bit, I would've been fine.
I'm glad I didn't have more. I really really want to quit. So at least tomorrow, I'll wake up OK, fatter but OK.
For me to go beyond 2 weeks will be huge, but I'll be so happy to be at that point (and then forever after that).
I don't like posting that I've messed up because I'm afraid it'll be a temptation for someone else. But I have to say that I felt better before I drank than afterwards, even though I was exhausted before. Tolerance has kicked in enough where I basically get very little out of drinking and it has become little more than a strange habit.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's important to be honest KaleGrrl - don't worry about triggering others...we're all big boys and girls here

D
Old 01-17-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Sooo happy to read your post JackD! I totally hear you and yes forget out diets sometimes as long as our priority remains to be sober!

Kalegrrl, don't beat yourself up. The whole self pity thing will lead you right back down that road. Drink tons of water and I bet those extra calories won't even stick around. You've got your head on your shoulders, take note of how things can be different next time, and do your thing!

The hike I went on today was major!!! I'm flat on my couch now. We took a trail kind of off the beaten path and didn't realize how steep it was going to get! Once we made it to safe ground the rush of endorphins was incredible. Doesn't mean I'm a thrill seeker now though. I like feeling safe! All thats on my agenda for the rest of the weekend is homework, domestics, and an aa meeting! n Lots of web surfing
Old 01-17-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

TY @ saoutchik that was a bit tense to say the least. I felt terribly guilty for a while too like I had done it but as I've thawed out I'm a bit impressed with myself. Normally when I get that far gone it's game,set,match. So let's hope at least my coping muscles are getting stronger even if my actual muscles aren't yet

KaleGrrl believe me it could have and has been in the past very different. We just do the best we can do. And, try and put these emergency tools in our kit. I'd say that throwing it out was progression too. We're in good hands here. BTW it was one of Dee's links that really helped me this time - the urge surfing one? About mindfulness. That kind of took me down a level to be able to think rationally
Old 01-17-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good Evening, Class

I am finishing up day 12 and feeling pretty good. Though, I am sleeping a lot. Over the past week, I have had between 10-12 hours of sleep a night. I have also been eating tons of sugar be it in candy, ice cream, hot chocolate, date nut cake, pudding, etc.

I have not really thought about drinking until last night. My AV came knocking and I almost answered. I thought it through and I know where that one drink will lead. The first drink I would be all dainty-like, sip it, and then call it a night. The next morning I would awaken feeling super proud of myself for only having one glass of wine and, to celebrate, I would buy a bottle. Been there... Done that... And it is as fun as it sounds!

Though I am still procrastinating on many things I should be doing, I have been forcing myself to go to a yoga class a day. I am on Day 4 with Yoga and I am beginning to feel some positive effects.

I am so pleased to see so many NewComers joining the Class of 2015 and I am happy to hear many are doing well.

Let's keep on keepin on. Only 2 weeks left in January and March is only 6 weeks away!
Old 01-17-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JackDsMissus View Post
In. I very nearly messed up big time about 90 minutes ago.
Very pleased for you Missus JD.
Like you, I'm 16 days along.....and over this weekend the ride has been getting bumpier. But hanging in there. I guess we're getting to the point where its been long enough to feel as tho a drink is 'deserved' or something.

Let's keep going....
Old 01-17-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats to all that made it through another day and welcome to the new folk.
2 weeks today. I'm feeling good, proud, tired, clear and careful.
How's this for an invite?
I'm a expat and my Aussie friend said to me yesterday. " I met this Aussie guy last night who owns a party boat. On Australian day (in a week) he's doing a day boat party trip. Free flowing booze all day. He said I have a free ticket and can bring one friend only if they are Aussie.
I'm her only Aussie friend and she's like, you should come!
Trigger city!!!
Boat trigger
Australia Day trigger
Free booze trigger
I just laughed and said as if I could survive that and not drink! As fun as that sounds.
She said. "Why don't you just drink every 20 day?" Hahaha
It's hard though to say no to such a invite as it really is my kinda fun.
Plus it's not very Australian to be sober on Australia Day! Hahaha
I suppose I need to reprogram what is fun.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JackDsMissus View Post
KaleGrrl believe me it could have and has been in the past very different. We just do the best we can do. And, try and put these emergency tools in our kit. I'd say that throwing it out was progression too. We're in good hands here. BTW it was one of Dee's links that really helped me this time - the urge surfing one? About mindfulness. That kind of took me down a level to be able to think rationally
Thanks MissusJD. Yes, I love the urge surfing link. It takes the anxiety out of the craving. However I'm perceiving it, it works when I apply it.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
Kalegrrl, don't beat yourself up. The whole self pity thing will lead you right back down that road. Drink tons of water and I bet those extra calories won't even stick around. You've got your head on your shoulders, take note of how things can be different next time, and do your thing!
I will LLG. Self pity will be shaken off tomorrow as I start fresh. Sooo glad I didn't have more. I have a chance of normal sleep--yay!
Old 01-17-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I will be. Join me

D
Old 01-17-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi all! Sounds like everyone is doing great! Great choice kalegrrl... Throw it out! Proud of you!
Finishing day 17 here which is a week longer than I have ever gotten before. Still have moments of tiredness, but who cares! I wake up sober and I'm sleeping well so it's all good.
On to day 18!!!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was thinking about this tonight. I gave up smoking at 29. I remember thinking "how am I ever going to take a long drive again", "I'm never going to be able to enjoy a cup of coffee again" and "what am I going to do after dinner?" Like a huge amount of pleasure was going to be removed from my life. Now I can't see anything pleasurable about a smoke. It isn't good for me, smells horrible, is expensive and inconvenient.

I think in a few years I'm going to think that way about drinking. That it isn't good for me, makes my breath smell horrible, is expensive and inconvenient... hummmm

Right now I feel like I'm going to lose out but I honestly believe in a few years I'll look at all those people still drinking a lot and think about them the way I do about smokers now. Like what a shame they can't quit - they can't actually be enjoying that.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ting View Post
Congrats to all that made it through another day and welcome to the new folk.
2 weeks today. I'm feeling good, proud, tired, clear and careful.
How's this for an invite?
I'm a expat and my Aussie friend said to me yesterday. " I met this Aussie guy last night who owns a party boat. On Australian day (in a week) he's doing a day boat party trip. Free flowing booze all day. He said I have a free ticket and can bring one friend only if they are Aussie.
I'm her only Aussie friend and she's like, you should come!
Trigger city!!!
Boat trigger
Australia Day trigger
Free booze trigger
I just laughed and said as if I could survive that and not drink! As fun as that sounds.
She said. "Why don't you just drink every 20 day?" Hahaha
It's hard though to say no to such a invite as it really is my kinda fun.
I suppose I need to reprogram what is fun.
I'm going camping Australia Day Weekend. Can't get out of it as it is with the family and friends. Lots of alcohol will be flowing, as usual, but I'm not taking any and preparing for the "Sorry, I'm not drinking".
At the moment I feel confident but wish me luck!
Hope I get a signal so I can get on SR for motivation.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesSquire View Post
I'm going camping Australia Day Weekend.
Oh yeah!
Camping!
No booze camping!
If you have a camping chair with a beer holder you better take something lovely to fill that hole!
Freshly squeezed orange juice?
Maybe take one of those totem tennis games to keep you occupied. You can hit the crap out of it if you feel an urge. They are pretty cheap and fun.
You've got this!

--------------------------------------------------- "Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a day without any new mistakes in it yet?" Anne of Green Gables.-
Old 01-18-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats a pretty big ask James. Situations where there's no ready escape route are pretty dangerous.

No chance at all you can cry off going?
Old 01-18-2015, 12:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Thats a pretty big ask James. Situations where there's no ready escape route are pretty dangerous. No chance at all you can cry off going?
I agree Dee. I was trying to be encouraging but I know I wouldn't handle a Aussie camping trip with drinkers just yet. I can handle a couple of hours of my friends drinking then I've gotta go back to my sober home.
Maybe fishing to escape everyone James if you can't get out of it?

--------------------------------------------------- "Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a day without any new mistakes in it yet?" Anne of Green Gables.-
Old 01-18-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

I've realised I'm confused (as usual ) as to what Day I'm on. I was nursing a hangover on New Years Day but didn't drink. Even though my folks had wine with NYD dinner :/ So can you even count the day you had a hangover or no? Not that it really matters lol but I'm sure I come in this thread with the same day sometimes. I think I'm on day 17. Although it could be 18. Ahahaha.

Have a great Sunday all