Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Did you use any additional support in early sobriety with RR and AVRT?

Old 01-16-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Rational Recovery and the AVRT tool are very straightforward and one-and-done type of approaches to sobriety. However, it seems some people use additional support for their sobriety, especially in early sobriety. I am curious whether people used any additional resources in addition to RR and, if so, what did you use? Was it helpful? Looking back, what would you change?
Old 01-16-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I attended AA meetings for the fellowship of other alcoholics
I used cognitive behavior therapy (CBT)
Looked into Lifering and used their workbook (Which is somewhat like DIY CBT)
Mindfulness
Physical exercise
Improved my nutrition
Studied the physiological mechanism of addiction so I better understood what was happening inside my head

It was ALL helpful.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Using mindfulness a lot too. Just finish reading Kick the Drink... Easily! by Jason Vale, very very useful too (there's a thread about that book just below).
Old 01-16-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I started with weekly sessions of EFT (acupressure point tapping thing called Emotional Freedom Technique.) Now I go once a month but can also perform the technique on myself as needed. Kombucha saved me for the first month (the trace of alcohol did not trigger me as it does some people.) At night I knit obsessively and binge-watch Netflix. Took up pie baking as an alternate comforting activity. Evening Zumba classes are great if I can haul my ass out to them. Nearly three months in and only a few big challenges which I knew I would get through because do you know what? I DONT DRINK!
Old 01-16-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Errm ,
i didn't really use AVRT or RR but found some inspiration from UG ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOd2RmiuRHU
Old 01-16-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I use AVRT as a way of controlling whatever urges I get (thankfully far fewer now) and use the SR 24 hour club as a way of providing myself with a bit of accountability. I quit once for over thirty years by just stopping. This time around it helps to have a more structured approach.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm finding that fitness is a huge motivation for me. It boosts my mood and makes me feel the benefits of being sober. Also reading a few books right now, The Seat of the Soul, and Sober for Life. Coming on here helps too.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stuck close to these message boards for awhile.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My situation is a bit different. Because I was made to go to rehab, iop and attend meetings... when I completed my "program" my employer showed me the door. They put me on STD and I had to comply with the stipulations. Then when they 'cleared' me to return to work, they said don't bother... long story.

During that time, I discovered SR and AVRT. I already committed to never drink again. AVRT crash course was a good read for me - it was enough. I attempted to do that other 'program' but found it so demeaning and destructive to my psyche that it was more of a negative influence than a helpful one.

But I relied heavily on SR to get me through the early tough times. Other than SR, I don't use any kind of 'support' for my old drinking problem. It's no longer an issue and hasn't been for many months. My social circumstances are different than many. I was basically cut off from my "friends" when I sobered up. I am starting new things and heading in a different direction. It's like starting life over. But without the drink this time.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

SR is plenty of support but I also keep a foot in AA. I am recovered by the very act of not drinking. Navigating life is a constant so I look for help amongst others who have trod the same road. I have enough "recovered" friends to make it through the tough times..
Old 01-26-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Antabuse with AVRT is my key.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just kept reading the website, spent long periods of reflection, got out in nature (away from shops, pubs etc...)
Spent plenty of time here on SR reading about others experiences
Talking through my emotions.
Still plenty to learn.
Whatever works for us, works for us/me/you

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself