Sarah8889/My Story

Old 01-15-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sarah8889/My Story

I would like to share my story of sobriety here. Especially for young people so they can realise you can be an alcoholic at any age. I'm 25 now and I realised I was an alcoholic at 20. I stopped drinking and I've been sober for 4 years now. My life is very different!

I had a nice childhood expect that my father is an alcoholic. However he isn't violent or aggressive. He is a very kind man and worked very hard for us. But every day he would drink then drink so much when he came home from work he would slur, fall over and fall asleep. Sometimes when he was driving I knew he was drunk.

I started drinking when I was 14. The first time I ever drank I drank a quarter bottle of whiskey raw. I continued on like this and was the typical teenage rebel. Sneaking out, drinking all night, taking drugs. When I went to college my drinking really escalated. I got into a lot of physical fights. I was arrested a few times. I would black out every time I went on a night out. I couldn't remeber where I went or how I got home. I was working in a night club and I drank the whole way through work. It ended up I was drinking almost every night. I just couldn't stop myself once I had one drink. I could never have enough.

One morning I woke up still drunk and I went into the kitchen to get some juice. I slowly started having flashbacks of the night. I suddenly had a memory of the police standing in my flat and I was drunk and shouting at them. Calling them names. That day I decided to ring my local AA. I went to some meetings and I was terrified the whole time. I ended up starting to drink again. A couple of months later I finally stopped.

Since I stopped my life had changed. I no longer feel embarrassed all the time by things I might have done. I no longer feel sick and depressed. I was able to get a successful job. I am able to enjoy things without alcohol.

Thanks for reading

I'll share with you something a lady said to me "if you stop drinking you will have the life you deserve"

Last edited by Opivotal; 03-09-2017 at 11:25 AM. Reason: correct title format