Notices

Twitching dreams

Old 12-22-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Avenger of my liver

Twitching dreams

I've been sober for quite a few days now, but in the past I've always had trouble falling asleep after the first few days of sobriety/withdrawals.

After about 3 or 4 days of insomnia, my body is ready for sleep.
This is what ALWAYS happens: I have a (semi)dream where I'm either walking down stairs (this one is about 90%), walking on an icy downward slope, or some similar downward angled surface. In this dream, I slip and fall backwards, only to wake up due to a full-on body twitch. Only one time, so it's not any kind of seizure, but the dream and the twitch always go hand-in-hand.
And...the twitch always comes right as my mind is about to cross over from conscious to dream state.

Anyone else experience these twitches/shakes? They always come right as I am falling asleep.

However, after about a week of drying out, they stopped and I sleep sooooo well now. Hang in there everyone, the endurance and persistence will pay off and you will sleep so much better.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Matt M

Pretty much the same.

I had a relapse at the end of November and have been clean since, but for 3 days I pretty much experienced what you have.

Every time I lied down and shut my eyes, my mind would just race with images. Just bizarre and disturbing images would flash one after the other in my mind, none of them made any sense, just the weirdest things.

And the twitching for sure. If I was ever drifting off then my body would jerk and i'd have to turn the light on and sit up.

It's a huge relief once you get through those 3 days but those 3 days are super crucial because that's when the seizures would occur and that's why it's a good idea to see a doctor during those 3 days.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow! I actually forgot about the twitching! I was so worried about it in early sobriety that I did a lot of research on it and it's called a Myoclonic/Hypnic Jerk. It does have to do with the brain resetting itself. It gets better though-I had completely forgotten about it until I read this thread!
Old 12-30-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I started backing off alcohol I itched a lot, too. And yes, I haven't itched in a long time. I forgot about that. Never thought it might have something to do with drinking
Old 07-25-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Avenger of my liver

Originally Posted by redladyslipper View Post
When I started backing off alcohol I itched a lot, too. And yes, I haven't itched in a long time. I forgot about that. Never thought it might have something to do with drinking
Wow, I forgot about this post. It as during a week long dryout before I went off to teach at a Winter Camp.

By the way, redladyslipper, that was TWITCH, not ITCH.