Changing AA Steps

Old 12-11-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

Lightbulb Changing AA Steps

Okay, so I just came across the secular connections page for the very first time! I had no idea it has existed. So here is a double post of what I wrote earlier. Any advice would be appreciated!

"I have had people tell me to think of my own higher power instead of god - but, I can not in good conscience do this. For myself I believe a "higher power" is a psychological manifestation. So this is what I have done - I looked up alternative 12 steps to follow - and not to my surprize, none of them were perfectly aligned with my very particular "beliefs". So using a combination of agnostic, humanist, non-theist, free-thinker, and self-confirmation 12 step AA programs I have taken bits and pieces of each & created steps that I could in good conscience complete.

So anyhow, I pretty much adjusted it to the point of no recognition from the original AA steps. Please attempt not to be judgemental - this is by far not final copy - this is why I am asking you all for suggestions.

ALTERNATIVE STEPS BY FRIXION

1. We admitted our addictive craving over alcohol, and recognized its consequences in our lives.

2. We became entirely ready to work at transforming ourselves.

3. We committed ourselves to lifelong abstinence, staying away from the first drink, a day at a time.

4. We joined a fellowship of recovering alcoholics, who help each other maintain sobriety.

5. We became determined to live in the real world, here and now, whether pleasant or painful. We pledged allegiance to reason and evidence, rather than superstition and dogma.

6. We honestly evaluated our lives, acknowledging both our strengths and our weaknesses.

7. We strived to be in good health: We stopped smoking, exercised, got enough rest, and ate nutritious food.

8. With the assistance of others and our own firm resolve, we transformed unskillful aspects of ourselves and cultivated positive ones.

9. We made a conscientious effort to forgive all those who harmed us.

10. We got our lives in order — dealt with the wreckage of the past — made amends whenever feasible.

11. We will take direct action to help others in any way that we can.

12. We continued to share our experience, strength and hope with other recovering alcoholics.

So, finally I will get to my darn question lol. I have never completed the original AA 12 steps (obviously), and now that I have changed the 12 steps so profusely I am wondering what vital criteria am I missing in these alternative steps? "
Old 12-11-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

If you want to talk about a 12 step program in a secular context, maybe the next forum down is the right place? This particular spot is for secular discussions of recovery without 12 step stuff.

Look for the one called Secular 12 Step Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information. This post is perfect for that one!

Please feel free to drop back anytime here, Frixion. You are most welcome.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

Oh haha sorry everyone!! Thanks for letting me know
Old 12-12-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

no worries Frixion, but yeah OT for this forum

Thread closed.

D