Notices

recommendations on anti-depressants

Old 12-04-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

recommendations on anti-depressants

Hi, I am looking to get input on if going on anti-depressants will help.

I have quit drinking for about 2 months now, and stopping drinking has removed a lot of the paranoia and anxiety in my life, but I am still dealing with not feeling good. I can say there has been a huge improvement in how I feel, but I am still listless and l am bordering on depressed.

I am very sensitive to SRI's. I have tried Zoloft in the past, but that did not make me feel good. I have had better luck with Viibrid in the past, as it is a much gentler SRI that seems to sit better with people who are very sensitive.

Does anyone have some opinions on the pros and cons of getting on a SRI on recovery?
Old 12-04-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We can't give medical advice here, it's against the site rules.

I can say that at two months, I wasn't right yet either. Some days were better than others. I did not use any anti-depressants. Have you been eating and sleeping well and getting some exercise? Those three things are what I focused on.

Good luck, see your doctor if your symptoms don't improve.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am on an snri but I wont mention it. It is wrong to recommend mine merely because it works for me.

Real depression is pretty heavy duty. At only two months I wouldnt even attempt a medication. You really need six months in my opinion. Are you working any kind of program or reading any recovery books?
Old 12-04-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been all over the SR forums and reading as much as possible to better understand the recovery process. Beyond the Influenve was very informative. I've been to some AA meetings, and I find them helpful like the SR forums have been.

This is my second go around. The first time I quit drinking AA was more prevelsnt, but after a while I did not find them as beneficial as at the beginning. Most recently, I was drinking significantly less than I was the first time I quit. I mainly stopped this time because I was feeling off and my anxiety was starting to increase. I know alcohol is not going to bring any positive changes to my emotions and anxiety, so I just stopped, and if I hadn't had one small slip, I would be much closet to 60 days right now.

I do remember that it takes 90 to 120 days for me to feel much better, but I have read in othet recivery pages that a SRI would not hinder the recivery process and in some was can help even out the brain chemistry.

This alcohol is an evil mistress, and I do know time will heal there wounds.
I find the support here to be great! Thanks for the support.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I keep a journal and at this time last year I was about 10 weeks sober and in my journal I was talking about being so sad and melancholy. I do think it might be a stage of sobriety. It is almost a form of mourning in a sense. I am very happy today and I did not go on antidepressants at any time of beginning sobriety, however everyone is different.