Old 11-20-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Mr G and startsometime

Way to go to everyone reaching a goal today, whatever it may be

D
Old 11-20-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just about to call it a night on Day 4. Still seem to be getting on ok. Actually feel full of energy tonight. Appreciate all the thoughts on keeping wine in the house. I've no doubt you're right. I'm working on ways to get rid of it. Too Scottish (Presbyterian frugality!) to just chuck it out but I'll do something with it.

Picked up on a few fellow WWs. I can relate to you phoebe64 - I've lost a fair bit of weight, reached goal, all without giving up wine. It's quite salutary, however, to look back at the trackers and see how much I've even admitted to consuming (I quite often 'forgot' to include it). I think I was using a heavy exercise regime to compensate for not very healthy eating and over-consumption of alcohol. Going for a swim and a run tomorrow. Hope to notice further improvement in being able to breathe while doing so!
Old 11-20-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tired tonight and for some reason the AV is talking to me. But I am not going to drink. Only beer here. In for the night.

Think I will do the pjs trick. Get into pjs and then I cannot go out. Maybe sneak 20 minutes horizontal on my bed.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Checking in on new thread. Seems like several of us on day 4. Let's get through Friday, day 5 together. And everyone. I know Friday can have AVs speaking up for no reason other than it's Friday!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Whelp I'm fixing to make spaghetti for dinner and then put the kids to bed. Day 5 down. It was a good day.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Through day 2 and off to bed. Onwards and upwards. Plans tomorrow night ti keep me away from the booze, because I know I will be tempted after work.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Long and exhausting day here. I have no desire to drink (or do anything else, although I have a feeling relaxation is not going to happen!) I'm glad everyone is holding strong so far this evening.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi all!

I just love checking in here and I would like to thank you for your support. Whatever you're experiencing, no matter how different we might be, we're fighting the same battle! I'm good for now...but who knows what'll happen tomorrow...I had some hard talk with my family lately, but...better to face it sober. I'm still trying, hope you are too! Keep it up, novemberists!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just saying hi. I'm tired and closing out day 4, I scheduled a platelet donation for tonight so no chance to mess up. Lots scheduled with my girls for Friday night so should be busy. Ditto what Darrow said, thanks for the support and encouragement! stay strong all
Old 11-20-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm also closing day 4 with many of you. Have to get the kids home from gymnastics and into bed and them I'm calling it myself.

Tomorrow starts danger weekend for a lot of us. Let's stay strong folks.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nearing end of Day 7. Sent husband out to pick up dinner so I wouldn't be tempted to buy a bottle of wine at the grocery store. Feeling tired, unmotivated, lost, depressed--no doubt, in part, because I stayed inside the house all day. But my head feels foggy, so seemed best not to interact with the outside world. I think I should at least try to get some exercise tomorrow.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Checking in too. Spent the whole day out, counseling, coffee shop, partner had a biz meeting so I met my daughter at the movies (she works there) and we saw Dumb & Dumber 2. It was sooooooo dumb! I'm glad I didn't see the first one lol. Keep my food up in the car and through all of the day but it was too much. I'm very swollen and in lots of pain from the little clutching I did do. Icing it now . Staying strong, feeling good otherwise. Sounds like everyone else is too .
Old 11-20-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 5 - Didn't drink

Work was fine. Wife supposed to meet me at 7pm but couldn't as needed to work late.
Challenge number one: friends invited me out for drinks and food. Told them I was off the booze for a little while.
Challenge number two: walking home at 7pm. It is 100% certain in the past that I would have gone to a bar and drank 2+ bottles of wine while doing email. As I had a quiet day in work the following day it is very possible this would have turned into a 3 day bender. Walked straight home. Actually this felt easy enough strangely. I think its because mentally I am in a good place right now.
Challenge 3: As soon as I got home I dumped the wine in the house as advised by folks on the forum. Had a little smile while doing it.
Challenge 4: When wife got home she suggested going for a brunch with friends at the weekend that she knows are my closest drinking partners. I got annoyed that she is not taking this seriously. In her defense she said that she has heard this 1000 times. I asked her to really try with me this time and she said ok. She does not drink and is 100% committed to the relationship and I try to keep my drinking away from her...usually getting hammered after she goes to bed. I told her that I really feel I need to make it happen this time and she agreed of course.
Challenge 5: different friend called at 10pm from nearby bar asking me to join. Said no.
Challenge 6: Wife asked me if I wanted to pay the upgrade to the Executive floor for the hotel we are staying in at the weekend....she knows in the past that I always did this because the drink was free once surcharge paid and I would drink my own bodyweight in wine and beer. I said No.

Watch TV until midnight and then fell asleep. Awake on and off all night. Woke up feeling GREAT and full of energy. I didn't really feeling cravings yesterday in the way I would have done before as I am puching hard on this right now (partly thanks to SR) but I think yesterday shows how deeply alcohol has embedded itself in my lifestyle and social circle. Many changes will need to be made and I will try to get these on paper when I hit a week dry this coming Sunday

Day 6 - today

Quiet day at work. Will spend reading the forum and chilling and eating healthy food. Checking into hotel with my wife and son for the weekend. I am booking this purely to break my weekend habit. I have not had a sober Friday or Saturday night in many years and 95% of these have been blackout in the last 12 months. My phone will be switched off and I have promised my son to bring him swimming tonight (his favourite thing to do with me). I have booked dinner at the hotel for tomorrow evening so I won't hit the town. I have also arranged to play golf with an important client for Sunday morning EARLY so that I cannot go on a bender. I think this should provide enough protection.

This weekend is really important. I need to get through it intact and I know I will.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 2 here - had a really sweaty night of sleep - hope it eases up tonight. Feeling positive today even though I know my hubby's mood will continue - I think I'd rather just spend the day on my own working on myself instead of being brought down by his negativity ! Sometimes it's so hard to keep your head up when no-one not even yourself seems to like you (if that makes sense). I'm trying desperately not to self loathe - easier said than done though xx
Old 11-20-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustSarah View Post
Day 2 here - had a really sweaty night of sleep - hope it eases up tonight. Feeling positive today even though I know my hubby's mood will continue - I think I'd rather just spend the day on my own working on myself instead of being brought down by his negativity ! Sometimes it's so hard to keep your head up when no-one not even yourself seems to like you (if that makes sense). I'm trying desperately not to self loathe - easier said than done though xx
don't worry about his modo Sarah. Just focus on staying sober. As long as you are sober you will be a nice person and the relationships will be fine.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
Nearing end of Day 7. Sent husband out to pick up dinner so I wouldn't be tempted to buy a bottle of wine at the grocery store. Feeling tired, unmotivated, lost, depressed--no doubt, in part, because I stayed inside the house all day. But my head feels foggy, so seemed best not to interact with the outside world. I think I should at least try to get some exercise tomorrow.
hiya Groundhog.....sometimes I find that my most enjoyable walks or best gym sessions happen when I am not in the mood and I drag myself out. Maybe try making a healthy lunch as right at the very moment that you feel good about the fact that you ate well slip on your trainers and go for a walk. Take that tiny piece of good feeling and let it sweep you out the door. Once you are out the door you will find that one foot follows the other....next thing you are smiling
Old 11-20-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post
Tired tonight and for some reason the AV is talking to me. But I am not going to drink. Only beer here. In for the night.

Think I will do the pjs trick. Get into pjs and then I cannot go out. Maybe sneak 20 minutes horizontal on my bed.
Thought just popped into my mind....the things you do to stop you doing something else. I remember one time when drunk I wanted to finish with a gf that was a wee bit psychotic but she was really pretty and I couldn't bring myself to tear away from her for a while. So I had a few beers when I had the idea....went to the bathroom and shaved off every single piece of hair on my body, check, pubes, legs, the lot from the neck down. I knew that I would be too embarrassed to see her like that and not be able to take the laughing so I didn't see her. Relationship over. hahaha.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Thought just popped into my mind....the things you do to stop you doing something else. I remember one time when drunk I wanted to finish with a gf that was a wee bit psychotic but she was really pretty and I couldn't bring myself to tear away from her for a while. So I had a few beers when I had the idea....went to the bathroom and shaved off every single piece of hair on my body, check, pubes, legs, the lot from the neck down. I knew that I would be too embarrassed to see her like that and not be able to take the laughing so I didn't see her. Relationship over. hahaha.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi all, just checking in before bed. Ending day 4 here. As others have mentioned we are now approaching the weekend. Need to be ready and i am going to get through it!