Notices

Seasonal Affective Disorder

Old 11-05-2014, 12:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Question Seasonal Affective Disorder

Hi, I have SAD and I kicked off today feeling down. Twenty minutes in front of my light and I'm feeling a lot better. Anyone else have SAD?
Old 11-05-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel the SAD starting, I get it.

It's that stupid clock change.

Hey its starting to get dark early let make everyone change the clocks so it gets worse even sooner !!

In fact experts say that traffic accidents tend to spike the first Monday after the stupid daylight savings time clock change, as motorists are suddenly driving home in the dark.

Look at this,

Please stop the messing with our schedules. It's an antiquated practice that only aggravates people. END DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME | Petition2Congress

Old 11-05-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't forget to change your clock !!

Old 11-05-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have it need to sit in front of my light
Old 11-05-2014, 10:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What's the best light to have, and where do you get one? Just turning on all the lights in the house helps somewhat for now. I moved to an area where the weather changes from cloudy to sunny to cloudy and rainy many times in one day sometimes and it's funny how it shifts my mood back and forth with it, reminding me that I have this SAD problem.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

As I understand it : you need lamps that have a high colour temperature and are bright. You're trying to simulate a sunny day.
In the UK The Seasonal Affective Disorder Association is a support group who don't sell lights but have a list of suppliers.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I started taking action by putting the 300 watt incandescent bulb in my t.v / tinker with stuff room. It lights it up quite well.

I am going to send away for a 1500 watt incandescent bulb and fixture, I think the old school incandescents put out the nicest light with not much UV, they don't flicker @ 60hz and since its winter and cold anyway the "wasted" energy, heat, isn't really wasted because it helps out the heating system in the house.

Here is the Sylvania 1500 Watt - PS52 - Clear - Mogul Base - 1,500 Life Hours - 23,740 Lumens - 130 Volt bulb.

Incandescent bulbs are much less efficient than most other types of electric lighting; incandescent bulbs convert less than 5% of the energy they use into visible light (with the remaining energy being converted into heat). The luminous efficacy of a typical incandescent bulb is 16 lumens per watt, compared to the 60 lm/W of a compact fluorescent bulb. Incandescent light bulb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These bulbs are more like an electric heaters that "waste" 5% of the energy they use making visible light.

I feel using my 300 watt bulb to make a bright room is helping with the SAD blues from the shorter days already but I like to go big. Its defiantly uplifting spending time in a well lit room compared to one with a little spiral bulb in the lamp putting out that yucky bluish white light that looks phony.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am a few days in now and its actually helping way more than I thought it would putting a bright ass light in that room, very noticeable mood improvement, glad I saw this thread and did it.

I totally recommend this to anyone feeling the Seasonal Affective thing.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

It's great to hear you are finding the light is helping.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wonder if I am not affected by SAD. Despite the meds and all, I feel bluer than ever. Usually, for me, depression peaks in March through May around anniversaries of some traumatic and sad events. Going to fit brightest bulbs I can in my lights and see if I notice.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I suffer from it too and combined with the festivities the holiday seasons is always a struggle for me.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure I suffer from it. Have thought about getting one of the lights. My husband noticed my drop in mood already. He says it happens every winter.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to suffer regularly from it. I used to bump my anti-depressant up and down as the seasons changed.

For the past few years I have been steadier, however--my kids have grown, and I no longer dread the start of school and the onslaught of homework pressure.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Gil, I've wondered if the folk in Oz or NZ have the same problems. Christmas and New year would be in the summer when you could get out and do active things, rather than being cooped up inside in the northern hemisphere if the weather is bad.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Vitamin D levels affect mood, as well. The skin of healthy younger adults when exposed to sun will produce enough Vitamin D. It takes something like 15 minutes a day of 60% skin exposure - not through the window, and without sunscreen. So, like arms, legs and back. As we age and/or if we live in a northern climate, we just don't manufacture enough of it.

I live in the Seattle area. Ever since moving here 30 years ago, I had depression problems (SAD) in the winter. Four years ago I started taking Vitamin D. It was a game-changer for me. First time since moving to the northwest that I was not debilitated in the winter. I mean, it was a hugely noticeable difference.

My doctor now even recommends it to everyone, without prior levels testing. I take 2000 iu a day in the winter, 1000 iu a day in the summer. My doctor says 1000 iu is plenty.

Even in the summer, the angle of the sun here in the Seattle area/this far north is only high enough on the horizon for just a few hours a day to be effective for skin manufacture of VitD.

There's a lot of research. In my N=1 experience, it is all benefit and no drawback.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I take Vitamin D daily too, Bimini. I guess it helps. Hope it does anyway.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I had forgotten about it, I need to get some. I have been feeling really down and I don't want to do anything but curl up under the blankets and sleep.
I am supposed to spend Thanksgiving at a friend's and I was seriously thinking of cancelling and staying home since I am not on schedule for work
Old 11-18-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Carlotta, I know the feeling. I am fighting hibernation mode right now myself. And then I crave sugar to offset, which ends up worsening it.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Yes, Sunday my home group had a pot luck and I love those people they are my friends and lots of fun to be around well guess what? I stayed home in bed (to my defence I had worked an overnight shift and was real tired).
I have to be careful though because isolation is a big part of my story when it comes to drinking: I drank at home completely alone.
I ll get some vits D
I am really glad I saw that thread.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You're not alone, you have us, Carlotta.

I don't buy into the whole "Don't isolate" theory. I suppose if isolation leads to negative rumination, sure. That isn't my experience, though. I was an only child and have always had a rich inner life. The fewer people the better, in my experience.