Administrator

Class of August 2014 Part 12

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-11-a-20.html

D
Old 11-04-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thanks dee x

Sorry London, your 90 day chip FRIDAY! that is just so awesome! have a fab day, and great that your finding the works meals easier, that's real power to you. safe journey home :-)
Old 11-05-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Seeing some of you guys with 40-80 days of sobriety is truly an inspiration. Day 2 here, and still feeling hugely doubtful about my will power to get any serious number of sober days under my belt.

Does anyone get to 25+ days and then fall foul of a false sense of security: "actually, I can drink in moderation" - "I know I have the will power not to drink now, so I'm sure I can handle a few now and again and keep an eye on it".

Well, that hasn't worked for me. And as I mentioned in another post, the drunken alter-ego in me comes out more regularly these days. He is a mean, arrogant drunk, and has to pursue conflict where ever it may be. As opposed to the sober me; a very hard worker, husband, and doting father to me incredibly sweet two year old daughter. The possibility of her having to explain to her friends at some point in the future that daddy is a "drunk" is unfathomable; I can't ever let that happen.

So, I'm starting to find some real reasons to stop now. Out of interest, what are your number one reasons for quitting? Your health? Family? Self respect? What would you list first? For me I list my daughter and her future.

Day 2 for me, and feeling stronger reading all of your posts. Thank you all...
Old 11-05-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us know that false sense of security ee..comes a time when you have to acknowledge it's false and consciously decide to go another way, I think?

D
Old 11-05-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

EE - my health and well being, then my kids.

Without my health, I have nothing. Therefore, they have nothing. No mama. And that terrifies me. My health and my kids are almost one in the same.

Although tough when my 3 yr old gets me up at 5 AM. Love his little voice though.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

EE, my #1 main reason for quitting is I want my old self back. The me that was before I let alcohol steal so much of my life from me. Its wrecked havoc on my health, my finances, my looks, and most of all my time.

Its like that for me as well, getting some sober time in, and thinking I can manage just a few. It always leads back to the same old pattern for me. I know that the only way is to not pick up at all. And I'm still working towards that goal, learning how to say no.

Wishing everyone on team A a happy sober today.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For those struggling. Myself included. Love your SELF!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (52.9 KB, 204 views)
Old 11-05-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great work London! You have worked so hard on yourself and your program and deserve to be proud.

I choose to become sober b/c I didn't like the person I was becoming and didn't want to look back on my life and see a glaring reason that I wasn't a better husband, father, or person.

And, fully recognize that that reason- was ultimately my choice to drink.

I wasn't going to be that guy.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yay London!!!!

It's a cold, rainy day here in Austin. I'm kinda digging it.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 11-05-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think most of us know that false sense of security ee..comes a time when you have to acknowledge it's false and consciously decide to go another way, I think?

D
I completely agree. I don't think I ever really honestly admitted I have a problem. I start to see that now.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maximus97 View Post
EE, my #1 main reason for quitting is I want my old self back. The me that was before I let alcohol steal so much of my life from me. Its wrecked havoc on my health, my finances, my looks, and most of all my time.

Its like that for me as well, getting some sober time in, and thinking I can manage just a few. It always leads back to the same old pattern for me. I know that the only way is to not pick up at all. And I'm still working towards that goal, learning how to say no.

Wishing everyone on team A a happy sober today.
Thanks for that - "learning how to say no" my biggest failure in my many attempts to get sober. There is an immense amount of peer pressure (at least in my social circle) to drink... maybe time to step away from that scene for a while...
Old 11-05-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi all. Checking in. Been super busy (good).

Lots of us struggling. I'm with you. Gotta keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Way to go those with milestones.

Shall return...
Old 11-05-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good morning Team August.

A huge congratulations to London on 3 months and pink on 70 days that it tremendous !!!!!

I have been in a bit of a slump lately but thank God it is finally lifting. No matter what I am not turning to drink to "feel better" as I know it will only make things worse and I would have to start all over again. No way!
So grateful for all the support here. Keep it going guys/gals !!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Pink - 70 Days. I'm so proud of you! Really special.

Now onward! What's your next goal? Come to think of it, what is everyone's next goal they are excited to share?

Here are my goals:
Immediate Term- 5 Months Alcohol free (December 25, 2014)
Short Term- 15 Months Alcohol Free (October 25, 2015) Around the time of my Ultra.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good morning, I had no time to post this morning; getting to the Y for the walk/jog is changing my leisurely early morning time. I am going to meet family members for lunch off Cape, so will read the posts later.

Have a happy, safe and sober day everyone.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post

Now onward! What's your next goal? Come to think of it, what is everyone's next goal they are excited to share?

Here are my goals:
Short Term- 15 Months Alcohol Free (October 25, 2015) Around the time of my Ultra.
Hey Ultra!
As I told you all a few weeks ago, I am celebrating every 10-day milestone up to 100, so I still have 90 in 4 days and 100 in 14 days. Keeps me motivated to have something to look forward to every 10 days rather than thinking in months or years just yet... (we are all different that's just me for now).
My wife and I check off the days together on the calendar it is very special to have her be a part of it. I must say I am going to treat myslef to something very special on 100 days!
After that I will re-assess and see how I feel about maybe making the celebrations every 25 days or "whatever feels right".
One day at a time we are getting back our lives. So proud of us all !
Old 11-05-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How many of you went to see your doctor or any other organisation where you had to share your personal details?

I did when I first started trying to stop and now I'm paranoid that I'll be recorded for life on my medical records as an alcoholic. And that this could affect my future job prospects or health insurance or hinder me in some way.

Sometimes I wish I never told my doctor or went to counselling.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post

Here are my goals:
Nice inspiration Ultra. I'd been thinking about significant milestones and/or hurdles but it feels right to put down some dates in ink.

Immediate of course is 90 days on Nov 16.
Short term: 1/5/2015, Post holidays. I'll start new job in a new town at 140 days sober.
Milestone: 2/18/2015 will be 6 months sober so naturally.
Medium term: 4/25/2015 I'll be fresh back from 2 weeks in Japan (with in laws) sober. That'll be 250 days.

Cool, thanks for inspiring me to mark those dates on my calendar.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The thing is I'm thinking about counselling again but the whole systems changed and I have to go through the whole information sharing process again. I'm a private person and I think they ask too much information.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doingsomething View Post
Nice inspiration Ultra. I'd been thinking about significant milestones and/or hurdles but it feels right to put down some dates in ink.

Immediate of course is 90 days on Nov 16.
Short term: 1/5/2015, Post holidays. I'll start new job in a new town at 140 days sober.
Milestone: 2/18/2015 will be 6 months sober so naturally.
Medium term: 4/25/2015 I'll be fresh back from 2 weeks in Japan (with in laws) sober. That'll be 250 days.

Cool, thanks for inspiring me to mark those dates on my calendar.
Love it!

It's hard to hit a target you can't see! Written goals not only go into the subconscious but help us navigate some of the bumps in the road since there is a specific event we are moving forward to.

And, for those who may be reluctant to set specific b/c of a fear of failure- it has been said that if you shoot for the moon and miss, you'll still find yourself among the stars!

An affirmation for you may be, "I am proudly achieving six moths sobriety on 2/18/15 and everything that I do contributes to that perfect result".