Notices

Schizoaffective/depression/poly substance abuser

Old 11-01-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Schizoaffective/depression/poly substance abuser

I, I had been posting over the past few months in a different forum. My son had a psychotic break months ago, landed in jail.... He was moved to a forensic facility and diagnosed as above....the joy is that he is back home after another recent hospitalization. He agreed to go into out pt treatment for both. My question is how long before this zombie like, flat affect state resolves? They completely changed all his meds about three weeks ago and I feel like he needs constant supervision? I understand that after the stress of the psychosis he needs to settle his brain, but he seems more distant, like he is vacant. He went to the gym yesterday and the left to go to a'friends' house. We told him that he cannot hang out with the old crowd....and he had a curfew. He did not rage but It lost seems like it set him back? I have to say I am scared. If anyone has any advise or words of wisdom that would be great., all he does is pace around, smoke ...he is no where's ready for a job but needs some type of daily activity .
Old 11-03-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My best friend for 15 years has the same disorder and he's been progressively getting worse pacing around, sleeping, smoking, having these bizarre outbursts and tics with his movement and next to no motivation or ability for the last 8 or 9 years. His thought patterns are often bizarre and even delusional. Total shut in. He won't or can't recognize that he has a problem and get help or proper medication for himself. No one else in his family has really done anything significant to get him the real help in good time; they can't really now since he's in his mid 20s. I wouldn't say he's a substance abuser to any real bad degree but there's some history, especially around age 12-15 that probably contributed to his problems. He drinks a moderate amount fairly regularly but rarely does drugs now.. I think because he has no money or social connections to even get that kind of thing.

I don't have an answer for you, but I have the same questions. Like what can I expect from this guy and what can be done?
Old 11-04-2014, 01:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well , I can tell you that we found pot had been smoked the day he had some freedom...set him back a lot. He too sad he is not have any problems. Very hard.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lad12053 View Post
My question is how long before this zombie like, flat affect state resolves?
That zombie flat state has a name, it's called anhedonia.

In psychology and psychiatry, anhedonia is defined as the inability to experience pleasure from activities usually found enjoyable, e.g. exercise, hobbies, music, sexual activities or social interactions. While earlier definitions of anhedonia emphasized pleasurable experience, more recent models have highlighted the need to consider different aspects of enjoyable behavior, such as motivation or desire to engage in an activity ("motivational anhedonia"), as compared to the level of enjoyment of the activity itself ("consummatory anhedonia")

Now lets search anhedonia + antipsychotics

anhedonia anti psychotics - Google Search
Old 12-02-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i have schizoaffective disorder, bipolar type. it intersects with my alcoholism quite a bit since i have lows and delusions and hallucinations whether or not i drink. this can lead to wanting to drink out of the "eff its" or just wanting to calm down my brain when it's in a manic state. i have also drank on one occasion out of delusions.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I"d look in to getting him on disability until he can go back to work. I'm schizoaffective I have been hospitalized 15 times I take one antipsychotic mood stabilizer anti depressant and anti anxiety pill. I'm on disability my first psychotic break was when I was 22 I quit my medication and did fine except for depression. Then at 28 to 33 I was hospitalized 13 times all different meds the meds make me tired and fataique and sore and I smoke like a chimmeney recently I started vaping instead of smoking. I know your son's pain theres no cure drugs can induce psychosis and screw everything up. I wasn't always this way I was a union carpenter and won awards in production now I can't even make it to a gym. The more times he goes into psychosis the more easier it is for him to go into then he probally have to be on medication the rest of his life as do I. Everyday a struggle congrats on being a supportivbe parent but you might have to care for your son the rest of your life as my parents do me.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just want to say my heart goes out to your son and his family Ill pray for him and you.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. He has had his ups and downs. Right now he is living with us talking about trying to work. He was almost done with becoming an electrician and wants to try again but cannot seem to get himself motivated. He will always have our support as long as he stays sober. I beleive you will be able to care for yourself as we hope our son will too with the support of programs that provide support. I know in my heart he will need to do the disability route but he is not ready for that yet.
Please keep I touch and let me know how you are doing.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi everyone , though I have not posted in a while I still come and read to get support. Just wanted to wish you all a peaceful and blessed holiday season and a New Year filled with more peace and understanding. We continue to take things day by day here and enjoy little victories and learn from setbacks but each day he continues to try and we continue to support with open arms and firm boundaries. Some days are smooth and some are rough but still we feel blessed to have him part of our lives. Thank you for being part of mine.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm doing good still on disability but this is my 25 th day sober last two days I wanted to drink real bad but I made it threw with GOD and the support of people in AA. I hope your son is doing good I'm under 25% percent body fat from dieting and working out so I"m no longer obese by 1% makes me feel good but "Im still over weight. Prayers to you and your son I was a union carpenter electritians have to take a lot of test your son not lazy its his illness I'm sure hope he preservers!
Old 01-20-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, so glad you are doing well! 25 days! Congrats.
My son has had a few set backs and we are trying right now to convince him to go inpatient. He is resistant. He saw his MD and he changed his meds today. He said life is over , he will just sit on our couch for the rest of his life, watch tv and eat our food...we said that's not an option. Hoping he seeks the help he needs befor we have to literally kick him out to a supportive living situation or worse a shelter. He isn't sober the past week he was so bad he end up wondering out side , got frostbite and his now being treated for it. As long as there is no infection he shouldn't loss any fingers or toes.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For four years I stayed sober in AA and went to 11 mental hospitals every time for quitting my medication the 12th time I gave up and drank. I was staying sober and practicing all types of religions trying to be cured of my mental illness not sober for the right reason cause I'm an alcoholic so this time around I got to stay sober for the right reason. Sorry your son had a set back I would look to get him on disability but the drug use is going to hurt his case maybe. They might say the drugs cause it but in the diagnoses of schizoaffective they rule that out so he should get it. It took my mom to over rule my dad and get me on disability he said they wouldn't give it to me not only did they give it to me they told me at my court hearing I was getting it which they usally don't do. I know I'll be on disability the rest of my life I'm 35 my parents are 75 40 years older in there will there leaving me there house so I'll have a place to live. My mom was going to put me in a homeless shelter if I kept getting drunk all the time thank GOD I stopped sure don't want to go there. The court said I had to have a payee that I couldn't directly handle my money which I would of ran threw in an episode. I got a lawyer for my disability claim they don't charge unless they win and they can't go over a certain amount like $5000 and its retro active so as long as he has been out a work he will get back pay. Prayers for your son and family from me if it wasn't for my parents I'd be homeless or dead.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have good news after six years of not working in the carpenters union I go back to work Monday. I have a year to stay eligible for disability. It's a big step for me when my friend text me for the job first I said no but I prayed about it and talked with my parents and he texted back and said they really wanted me so I'm going back to work I'm exited. I have worked while on disability but not the last year and a half I have been sober thirty days today if I wasn't sober I wouldn't be able to do it. I'm an alcoholic and a Vicodin attack. So I have to stay away of the vikes cause I'm gonna be sore from working. Hope your son is doing good and you and your family.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am SO HAPPY for you, Dsmaxis!
Old 01-25-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That is fantastic! One moment at a time. We are all here to listen to the good and the bad and help you in this new chapter. Past few days have been good here so we are grateful for that. Warm baths with Epsom salt help soar muscles. Have a great day back!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I quit my job cause there was to many drug attacks on the job including my foreman he offard me Vicodin and the work was dangerous it was to hard to go right into fulltime work. But I'm still sober. My brother started his own business so I can work part time with him.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It great that you saw this would not be a good fit, and are still perusing employment. Good luck!
Old 02-17-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well I have been sober 55 days feeling a lot better attend about 1 or 2 AA meetings a week. Don't rely on meetings but GOD.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Fantastic! Glad you are feeling so well.