Notices

Ebola paranoia , I can't be the only one

Old 10-18-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ebola paranoia , I can't be the only one

Why doesn't the news report what's happening in Africa ?

I have noticed that you can easily watch CNN for 3 hours and if you wrote down all the information they actually report is wouldn't fill half an index card.

It's like they say the same nothing 20 different ways over and over again. It's almost like a form of trickery and coming up next we are going to recycle that same tiny tid bit of info, and report nothing again. Whats going on ?

It's bugging me out and those arrogant reporters with that phony hype voice test my anger management skills.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

For me, it is hard to understand how irrational the public can be about "risk". People will have a few drinks, get into their cars and drive at 75 mph without a seat belt, stop and get a double-burger and fries, then light up a cigarette and send text messages while going down the highway expressing their fear of ebola.

Those who don't get their pets vaccinated against rabies invite a disease into their homes that is 100% fatal. Ebola is only about 60% fatal? The flu kills hundreds of people in the U.S. each year, but it's too much trouble to get a flu shot? We have a number of people in the U.S. who die from THE PLAGUE each year, but it never even makes the news.

Yes, ebola is a serious and potentially deadly disease, but the chances of getting it are thousands of times less likely than of being hit by lightning, run over by a bus, falling down in your bathtub and dying, and lots of other things. Compared to the risks about which we actually can do something....obesity, heart disease, diabetes, drunk driving, texting and driving, etc.---ebola in the US is a relative non-issue.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I realised that news of that type tends to trigger my "on switch" or putting it another way... I get angry at it too and a drink is a marvellous solution to dissolve my anger.

30 years of alcoholic drinking would indicate that when the on switch is engaged, I have monumental difficulty in finding and hitting my off switch again.

However... I know precisely where the off switch is on any TV in the house.

So I push that off switch before TV presses my on switch.

Hope that helps
Old 10-18-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Agreed.

This Ebola thing is bugging me out though.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am going outside. Type to you later.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It really does make you feel uncomfortable, especially because I believe that we are not getting all the information and the CDC really does not seem to know its butt from a hole in the ground a lot of the time. That would make me very hesitant to believe anything that they are going to tell me.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I am far more worried about dying from alcoholism than Ebola
Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you need to understand that no one will ever know the true numbers of ebola cases in West Africa. Its an impossible task. But, here in the US you not only have a slim to none risk of contracting it you also are healthier than those in Africa. We have running water, public sewer systems, electricity and plenty of medical supplies. While the mortality rate may be 70% over there it may be much lower here. Try not to worry and stop watching CNN. Read Associated Press or Reuters instead
Old 10-20-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sure you are not the only one, but there have only been a grand total of about 5,000 deaths in the history of the world from Ebola since the 70s.

Please don't cross the street, go to the grocery store, to work or to church. These activities are thousands of times more likely to kill you than Ebola.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

CNN maybe cause they have nothing else to report. i heard they are like one of the lowest rated new shows.
but Ebola is or can be scary. i just hope it does not become problematic here like HIV did.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Try not to get worked up. You can't cure it, you didn't cause it, and you can't control it. Nobody is trying to trick you or lie to you. The media has "slow periods" and at this point there's not much else to talk about, plus it gets ratings. AIDS is still a much bigger epidemic but Ebola is the hot new thing. Remember the NFL and Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson? That was the same style of reporting. Now it's Ebola. Next it will be something else. That's all. Watching cable news during the daytime hours does feature "repeating" because most people are working and their viewers are more or less cycling out every 10 minutes or so.

Focus on keeping yourself happy and sober. What can you do for yourself today?
Old 10-21-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I really started hating CNN when they played the Casey Anthony story 24/7 week after week after week for a very long time. The same thing as the Ebola, They report the same recycled minimal information as "updates" over and over and over. I HATED that Casey Antony story. It was filling up the other channels too.

The New York Times wrote: What We’re Afraid to Say About Ebola
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/op...out-ebola.html
Old 10-21-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Over 30k per year die of the FLU in the US according to NPR yesterday. I was shocked by that figure myself.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hope the world deals with this, what the USA is doing is a joke.

"Democratic party insider" WTF does that mean ?

A masters degree in dirty politics ?

I hope the Europeans are in charge of fighting Ebola .
Old 10-21-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Europeans are in charge of fighting Ebola in Europe. The US is in charge of fighting it here. Ebola in the US is a relative non-issue. I am quite close to the Dallas area and I am not at all concerned.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Over 30k per year die of the FLU in the US according to NPR yesterday. I was shocked by that figure myself.

In 2008, more than 36,000 people died from drug overdoses, and most of these deaths were caused by prescription drugs .

CDC - Prescription Painkiller Overdoses Policy Impact Brief - Home and Recreational Safety - Injury Center

In 2012, of the 41,502 drug overdose deaths in the United States, 22,114 (53%) were related to pharmaceuticals

CDC - Facts - Drug Overdose - Home and Recreational Safety - Injury Center
Old 10-21-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

worry about it when it hits you not when its not got you

you can stay indoor for the rest of your life if that will make you feel safe but sadly one day we are all going to die, unless there is a cure for dying out there somewhere that i dont know about

kids are dying each day who have never had many years in this world so if you have made it past 21 then you have had a good innings by all accounts

try and face fears head on and they lose there power accept we are all going to die one day and it takes the sting out of it
not unless you want to live to be 100 and full of old age problems and needing people to take care of you
i certainly dont want to end up in an old folks home abandoned by my family as they can not give there time to look after me i would rather be in a box early than face that fate

i dont watch the tv and i certainly dont watch the news as there is nothing in the news that interests me anymore
Old 10-21-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It drives me crazy. There are people quarantined a half hour from here in the next county because of ebola.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am not scared of the virus ebola martial law - Google Search
Old 10-21-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by lebroncavs View Post
It drives me crazy. There are people quarantined a half hour from here in the next county because of ebola.
NONE of the people quarantined so far have shown any symptoms of ebola. The only people who have actually contracted the virus are a couple of nurses who helped treat Erik Duncan at Presbyterian Hospital.

YOU are NOT going to get ebola!

I am not scared of the virus ebola martial law - Google Search
Again, only TWO people have contracted the ebola virus in the US. Martial Law is not going to be implemented.

Why not worry about something that can actually affect you? Ebola is a relative non-issue in the US.