Notices

Dr Appointment coming up.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Dr Appointment coming up.

I could use.some assurance that I am not going to be in debt the rest of my life after I see a doctor next week. I am having panic attacks and I feel awful most days. I am on lexipro and I am going to ser if I need stronger meds or what. I am doing pretty well four years. I can handle no change in feeling and hang tough I think, but I think if I try I can feel better since I still have high anxiety and depression.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You won't be in debt for the rest of your life, don't worry. I saw a shrink or two and didn't have health insurance. The horror stories are certainly the ones the put on the news...but in my case, it cost me a few hundred bucks and that was the end of it. Unless you're seeing Sigmund Freud you'll be able to afford it.

As for lexipro - it took me about 1.5 months to see any benefits. When I didn't see immediate improvement in 2 weeks I got real frustrated and started googling every darn thing online to see if I could get something else. I even secretly hoped my doctor would give me something like Klonipin or Xanax - good old AV, always hoping for a free pass.

I've been on it for months now and honestly it's given me new life. I was posting in this forum just like you were - nervous and anxious as hell about a doctor's appointment, back in April. Today I'm anxiety free, or at least I've gained the confidence I needed back. I am on a very low dose of the drug and don't even think about it. In my experience, again, it took about 1.5 months to realize that the anxiety had lifted. Don't hesitate to talk to your doctor about other options, but don't rush to flush your current plan down the toilet either. Easier said than done, I suppose. And it goes without saying that drinking is a serious no-no, that will certainly affect how the meds work. Good luck at the appointment, give treatment a chance, and do your best to just get yourself to the doc. Things will be better, I'm sure of it.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you have insurance you should be ok. My psychiatrist is $200/hr but I pay $50. Most anti-anxiety anti-depressants are fairly in expensive if the Dr gives generic.

If you are seeing a "family" Dr or internist, the cost should be less.

No insurance, I see you are in KC.. try the KC Care Clinic, I went there and they are pretty good, but not as good as a regular private physician.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Four years sober is awesome!

Is Lexapro the only anti-depressant you have tried? There are several others. Talk to your doctor...

I take an anti-depressant and an anti-psychotic, and together they cost about $20 a month from Costco. My local pharmacy charges about ten times that amount!
Old 10-14-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I take trazodone for depression and lamictal I have schizoaffective bi-polar disorder it really helps me. But every body different some trial and error you'll find what works for you. After that you could see your psych every six or nine months.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope all goes well McRibb
D
Old 10-14-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I had a bad panic attack tonight. This isn't fun. I know where my car is and I am not drinking. So that is good.