Notices

trying

Old 10-11-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying

Hi
After a horrible incident that resulted in me being arrested by police after drinking alcohol I have been shocked and forced to address my problem. I am certain the incident would not have happened if I had not been drinking and have never been in trouble with police previously. I resented police and other authorities initially being involved but now appreciate them as a safety net and support. I was shocked and repulsed by my behaviour and have not had alcohol since (17/09/14). I persuaded the doc to prescribe antabuse and my mood is becoming more stable with anti depressants. Exercise is helpful and the more I force myself to do it the more I am beginning to enjoy it. I am lucky as the incident was serious but luckily not tragic and it has made me have to take responsibility for my illness. It has also triggered my wonderful family into realising how miserable and helpless I felt and they are now understanding and supportive. I have much to face yet and will likely lose my job and consequently my current home. However, I feel positive that whatever happens will not be worse than my existence with alcohol being my only escape. I am actually beginning to be able to laugh again
Old 10-11-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good morning
and thank you for this honest sharing of your experience janelee.
i was in law enforcement for 30 years (not police) and have been arrested 3 times, all due to my alcohol abuse
i can say categorically that if i had been sober this never would have happened.
sometimes these events help us to understand that whatever life hands us, none of it will be any easier to handle if we drown it in booze
quite the opposite!
i lost wife, home career and myself in my futile attempts to manage my drinking
sober 18 months now and life has never been better
like you, i have to be prepared to do things differently now
and like you i am now prepared to reach out for the help that i need
well done
you will find a lot of experience,practical advice and support here
Be well and thanks for joining us
G
Old 10-11-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. It helps to know that others have managed to get through awful situations that are life changing.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I too had a similar experience just over a year ago (06/10/13 - my sober date!)

The difference with me was that I had repeated almost the same experience I'd had 15 years previous and it seemed I had learnt nothing and found myself in a jail cell worried I would lose everything
. I decided to take the lesson to learn about myself and have not touched alcohol since.

It was hard to start with, very hard, but around about 8 months n something had changed in my thinking and I am more and more certain that I will never touch the stuff again.

Well done on your sober time, great news, the first step is the hardest & it does get easier as the time builds up, hang in ere your doing a wonderful thing for yourself.

Keep on keeping on

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself