Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

The Psychology of Sports Fans - My last mens AA meeting

Notices

Old 10-03-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I went to the mens AA meeting last night and there was alot of good sobriety but then after meeting was just endless sports player name dropping , this team that team and I just don't care. Please someone talk about something else !

I just don't find any of it interesting at all, it's more like I can't find it interesting. I tried watching football lots of times and it's like they spend at least 10 times longer standing around Vs any action. Basketball, can't stand it bouncing, sneaker squeaks and whistles and I can barely stand baseball.

I just can't seem to care what team wins. I can't think of any reason to.

So just for the heck of it I googled The Psychology of Sports Fans http://www.google.com/search?q=The+P...of+Sports+Fans

Interesting I guess.

Is anyone else like this or do I just have severe "enthusiasm for sports deficiency disorder" ?
Old 10-03-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My husband detests sports, too.

We watch the Super Bowl solely to eat a large pot of chili in the living room and watch commercials. That's the only sporting event he watches--and that is just for the peripherals!
Old 10-03-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I like sports I also like other activities as well.
Go to enough meetings you will find people that share common interest with you
Old 10-03-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I watch car racing and boxing, which are the 2 sports I truly like.

But I accompany my wife to football games, which is the sport she likes.

But I don't like talking about sports - I did that for years in bars on a nightly basis and it now bores me to tears.

So I agree with you sbforever.

Sports is entertaining, but particularly intellectually titillating.

Seeing so many athletes resemble felons also kind of turns me away from watching them play.

I would rather read a book than watch many types of sports on the television.

I am not against most sports - they're just not for me.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not a sports-oriented gal and I've never had a relationship with a man who is. There are guys out there who couldn't care less.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hate athlete idolatry. I can stand to watch athletic events, but when people talk about these people as if they are some sort of heroes, it sickens me. There is not much you can say about competitive sports other than "so and so won, and so and so lost." I had to put up with sports radio at a job I used to have so I side with you on saying that sports talk is annoying.

Do you play any sports or exercise at all? I find involvement in a sport to be more rewarding than merely spectating. I hope you find a group of sober folks that you can relate to. Another thing... what does this thread have to do with mental health? I think you might want to post in the Alcoholics Anonymous forum for better replies, or better yet, the men only forum.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberandGlad View Post
Another thing... what does this thread have to do with mental health? I think you might want to post in the Alcoholics Anonymous forum for better replies, or better yet, the men only forum.

I typed in "psychology of sports fans" or some mix of words like that and something came up. I was looking to see what psychologists had to say as a mental health thing thus the mental health forum.

Look what I just found !

We are not unreasonable or intolerant people. We are your neighbors and friends and relatives. We are completely normal people who live completely ordinary lives except for one thing: we cannot understand the attraction or value of sports. SPORTS SUCK!

It not just me, a whole fancy web page on this !
Old 10-07-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

glad I'm not the only one
Old 10-07-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
glad I'm not the only one

I don't think I was either at that mens meeting, maybe I will go again and see who else is rolling there eyes when that sports talk takes over.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm totally bored by popular professional sports. I have a pretty good knowledge of teams and players but that is only because i used these games as an excuse to get wasted with people who like to watch it. there wasn't any amount of booze to make these games interesting. but when your buzzed you feel good regardless. i still small talk bs conversations like I give a dam about them with fake enthusiasm. if somebody becomes this know it all or smells im bluffing ill say...I hate alex rodriguez..and everybody starts smiling and laughing
Old 10-16-2014, 10:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

After twenty-four years as a professional poker player, I learned to love sports. Every poker room in the world has a big screen or multiple screens showing every manner of sports available. Every time a big game came on, my opponents would be glued to the television and only marginally paying attention to the poker game. Amazing how many mistakes one can make when they're not paying attention.

Made a lot of money on sports without ever having watched or bet on them.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Most professional sports people are equally as apalled by excessive drinking or alcoholism.

Two way street I guess.

The odd one occasionally gets to the top of their game, but for the most part, they are all clean living people making the most of their talents.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iggy24 View Post
I'm totally bored by popular professional sports. I have a pretty good knowledge of teams and players but that is only because i used these games as an excuse to get wasted with people who like to watch it. there wasn't any amount of booze to make these games interesting. but when your buzzed you feel good regardless. i still small talk bs conversations like I give a dam about them with fake enthusiasm. if somebody becomes this know it all or smells im bluffing ill say...I hate alex rodriguez..and everybody starts smiling and laughing
Who is alex rodriguez ?

Also I wonder how many people pretend to care with fake enthusiasm because so many other people are pretending to care but maybe almost nobody really cares ?
Old 10-17-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I am marginally into football but if all pro sports ceased to exist I would not lose any sleep. You are not the only one who finds sports talk incredibly boring
Old 10-17-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sbforever View Post
Also I wonder how many people pretend to care with fake enthusiasm because so many other people are pretending to care ...
Those people are called "wives" .... in our house at least
Old 10-17-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I used to like sports more than I do now. I used to watch baseball, basketball, football and nascar racing. I collected sports cards when I was a kid. All I watch now is basketball. I used to be good at basketball. I still love basketball. Here in Ohio it is always very boring but people love sports. They treat sports stars like they're gods here. Does it make sense? No not really but like I said it's very boring here. In Ohio you get excited when you get to go out to eat or go to the mall.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I enjoy watching some sports, at least for a while.

It can be modestly entertaining and even fun if I truly like the sport (e.g. cycling, boxing, car racing).

I don't like talking about sports, though.

I did it nightly for 13 years in bars and at taverns.

I would rather read a book than watch most sports.

I went to a college football game on Saturday night (only because I am a football husband, though) and it was awful as were a good many fans.

I went to a car race yesterday, though, and it was a blast and its fans (the vast majority of them, at least) were quite pleasant.