Administrator

Class Of December 2013 - Part 6

Last part here
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-5-a-20.html
D
Old 09-25-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
waking down

I have to agree with ActualA about normalcy. I was thinking today while I was at work that I've always kind of prided myself on being radical. Where I work probably the most radical thing a body could be is clean and sober. It's just not normal.

I've always been odd. I've always been an outsider. So, yes, I say embrace it! There's not much reason to try to fight it.

Have a good weekend, all. I've got a gig at a brewpub. They already know I won't be drinking because I refused the offer of a hotel room and said I'd be driving down the canyon after I perform, so that will help keep me safe. Not that I'm really worried.

Tomorrow makes 9 months for me. I made it through the summer, and I'll make it through the holidays. This New Years Eve will be the first time since I was 13 years old that I've done two sober NYE celebrations in a row. That's saying a lot for a guy that went many years dropping acid at Grateful Dead shows for NYE. Can't say I regret that, though, I must admit. I am, however, VERY lucky to be alive.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Zero, on the 9 months! Many people are realizing milestones here. I think it's important to embrace wherever you happen to be on the normalcy spectrum. If you like bow ties: embrace that, I say. If you have a collection of 11000 bow ties, embrace that, I say! And it's great to realize, in hindsight, how very lucky we might be to be alive. Many bullets dodged, so to speak, especially in this group, I suspect.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I second/third the lucky to be alive thing... I myself have always been an outsider. I always fit in but I never embraced the belonging to a group or click ideal. Very many narrow minded people out there in my opinion.
I didn't take a deer. Yesterday was basically a recon mission, making sure a location I picked was going to work. Five deer came within 15-20 yards of me . I'd still be dealing with a dead animal this morning and would have spent a lot of time last night. Plus getting it packaged, vacuum sealed and in the freezer by Monday or Tuesday, a lot of time involved. I'm leaving in a few days. I have to clean the house and get it in order before I leave. Have to finish up with the peppers that are still hanging. Make it so wife can use the garage while I'm away - it was a work station most of the summer. So after my fall breakfast of ham n eggs and potatoes and fruit. Long day. Plus I have to change oil in vehicle and rotate tires. A lot to do in the next few days. I'll be packing tools, pressure washer. A lot of work to do at my sister's house. I may have to re-build a porch. A garage still full of junk from a year ago when her husband passed.
Have a good weekend.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

er...I'll come back when you're done with the hunting stuff

have a good weekend all.

D
Old 09-27-2014, 01:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What does deer taste like?
Old 09-27-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TL, imagine having eaten beef your entire life. One day you are offered lamb. It tastes different than beef. Venison is similar to that experience. I would eat venison over beef every day if I had it. Much leaner and healthier meat. When prepared properly can't be beat.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fall colors here in Northern Virginia. A beautiful prelude to winter and darkness-a dangerous times for me. I'm grateful for this vibrant group. You are a safe harbor for me during good times and bad. I know that I'll reach permanent sobriety with you as an anchor. Have a great week everyone!
Old 09-28-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
waking down

Gotta say I would not compare venison and lamb. Can't eat lamb or goat but love venison and elk. I've lost my taste for beef, too. There's a free range bison ranch near here. Pretty much the only red meat I eat anymore unless a hunter offers me wild meat.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Very little experience of wild meat. Had venison a few times, once in a chichi restaurant, and thought it was the about the tastiest meat I'd ever eaten. Now, I don't eat the red stuff at all. Collapsed into the default drinking setting this weekend. Bonfire, lots of wonderful people visiting the house. My resolve, manifest in a perrier/ fruit juice, dissolved in a backyard game of some Viking block and stick competition. I guess in my own journey, I'm seeing my drinking phases more as aberrations, though persistent ones. Up and down. Now down. Tomorrow, I trust, is up.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
waking down

I came awfully close to a slip myself. I was playing at a brewpub owned and operated by old friends. I used the excuse that I was driving into the city afterward to stay sober. As they tried to get me to taste, even just a sip, of some of their new brews I had to 'fess up. They were disappointed. I wasn't tempted by the alcohol; I just wanted to taste their brews. Even considered a swish and spit, but decided better not. I miss the taste but don't want the buzz. Those guys make some seriously amazingly delicious ales. Grrrr... I feel the same way about wine and some foods I'm trying to avoid, as well. So many tasty things out there that just are not good for me...
Old 09-28-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did once enjoy the taste of a good beer but by the end any rotgut would do...

There are many tasty things we can still enjoy Zero.

D
Old 09-28-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
waking down

True that, Dee. Gotta keep reminding myself. And honestly, considering the smell of the brewery, I'm thinking it didn't taste as good as I remember...
Old 09-28-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL probably not...

D
Old 09-28-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I love love love lamb! I don't like goat. I would try bison and venison if I had the opportunity.

I have had kangaroo and it's ok but I wouldn't seek it out specifically. My cat eats kangaroo mince. (No, I didn't try it out of her bowl - I ate it in a restaurant like normal people :-))

I would not like to eat any kind of crocodile or alligator but I might try it if I was feeling particularly brave. I used to love watching that reality tv show abut alligator hunters. It was fascinating, but not if you're a vegetarian or vegan I guess.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

well, you are still here...
TL, yes, venison does not taste like lamb (I don't care for lamb), I was just trying to give an example of taste expectations. Here's an experiment to try. Have someone drinking a can of soda, coke or some other flavor they like. Switch up their soda with fresh spring water in the same can. When they take the first sip I promise they will spit it out saying ugh! Works every time.
Way to stay strong Zero, I'm with Dee, I was a connoisseur of brews, people would come to me for advice - I was big into IPAs and made my own. Near the end I was getting what I could get the most of for the least amount of money spent.
I told my friend last week when working in the yard that by now (3 PM) I would have drunk almost a case of beer already. He was a heavy drinker too. He said, 'wow, that's a lot'
Keep strong JR, the ups and downs become mostly ups until there are almost no downs.

Muhv, I know you are out there! I watched a documentary on the Estonia last night. Sad. I've been watching "Zero Hour" on netlfix. Interesting show but sometimes it's a little too macabre and I skip the episode. The one on Chernobyl was fascinating to me. I toured that site, and it is my field of expertise.
Have a good week all. I'll be driving 1000 miles to stay with my sister.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That occurs with me too, Jack Russell. Weekends and special events like ball games are tough for me. But I drnk much less since joining this group. Never during the week. I am working on an active strategy for the winter. I exercise a lot and walk. I have made good progress but have to take the next step. Thank goodness for this group. You understand the struggle and are a lifeline.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
waking down

Packing for a road trip. I deserve some days. Been working my butt off. Gonna hang in the trailer with the dogs and some books. Nap at odd hours. Walk. Hopefully where I'm going there will be absolutely nothing to do. Have a good week.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

LBrain, yes, I am here. I read every day, but you know, I am doing so fine and don't have anything to post
Yes, the sinking of ship Estonia was awful. My cousins pregnant girlfriend died there. Estonia is small and only about a million people, everyone I know knows someone who died there. Very sad.

My grandpa and uncle were hunters and when I was younger, we often had wild animal meat on the table. But I have only had local meat, bear and moose and wild boar, nothing exotic. No kangaroos and no bison meat. I don't think I could eat bison, I love them, besides rhinos and hipos they are my favorite animals.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

bon voyage Zero

D