Notices

Inpatient psychiatry: Intake strip searches :(

Old 09-24-2014, 11:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inpatient psychiatry: Intake strip searches :(

Why why why are people strip searched as part of the "process" during intake into inpatient psychiatry ?

Horrible degrading and humiliating standing barefoot naked on the cold dirty hospital floor being inspected by strangers , horrible. Never forget how nasty that made me feel.

When it was all over I called that "hospital" and asked why and was nasty.

It's for "safety"... They tell me,

What ? Even "Post 9-11" people go into criminal court buildings, federal buildings and all those high security terrorist target kind of places the T.V news talks about without a strip search.

"Post 9-11" people go on airplanes without a strip search !

It's for safety ! Is someone going to hijack the hospital and fly it into the world trade center so they need more security than airports and high security terrorist target kind of places ?
Old 09-24-2014, 11:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For the third time in a decade, New York City has agreed to pay millions of dollars to settle a lawsuit stemming from the illegal strip searches of thousands of nonviolent prisoners.

The settlement, which was announced on Monday, provides $33 million to the roughly 100,000 people who were strip-searched after being charged with misdemeanors and taken to Rikers Island and other city correction facilities.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/ny...trip.html?_r=0

Even the jails don't strip search nonviolent prisoners.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry its a nasty nasty no fun topic, but this needs to change.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They do it because people in locked psych wards are there because they are either a danger to themselves or others and are not making good decisions.

People who are seriously mentally ill have been known to hide things on their person that they later use to harm themselves or others.

For their own safety,and safety of other patients and staffs, they are now searched.

My sister met a woman in the psych hospital who had hidden a lighter in her privates, then used it to set herself on fire, then sued the hospital for not keeping her from harming herself.

Another time sister was in hospital a patient had taped a razor blade to their leg and used it to hold another patient hostage with threats to cut them.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes it seems intimidating but it has a purpose. Not everything that can be possibly harmful to the individual him/herself or others are made of metal.

You would probably appreciate the safety precautions more if you witnessed someone trying to commit a harmful act and stopped this way. Maybe even saving your life.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Yes it seems intimidating but it has a purpose. Not everything that can be possibly harmful to the individual him/herself or others are made of metal.

You would probably appreciate the safety precautions more if you witnessed someone trying to commit a harmful act and stopped this way. Maybe even saving your life.
Why do you use the word "seems" instead if "is" ?

What about the suicidal person who lies about the suicidal thoughts to avoid the hospital because of past experience with abusive practices like strip searches and never gets any help at all and is now not with us anymore ?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, that's good to know SB, I think I will avoid inpatient treatment now even if I need it. How disgusting.
Aren't some people there on their own free will? They are strip searched too? That makes a lot of sense (not).
Old 09-25-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sbforever View Post
Why do you use the word "seems" instead if "is" ?
You can replace it with "is". I've never had a strip search done so can only imagine having the experience.

What about the suicidal person who lies about the suicidal thoughts to avoid the hospital because of past experience with abusive practices like strip searches and never gets any help at all and is now not with us anymore ?
I believe that this, like most security measures, is based on risk assessment. What is the probability of your scenario of the suicidal person who is extremely intimidated by this vs all the possibilities of bringing in harmful tools, devices, substances. It's always hard to find perfect solutions that are completely acceptable for everyone.

I would say that the people doing these searches should be educated and controlled better because there are certainly big differences in the ways this can be done. It's down to the facility, I believe. Also how they inform prospective patients about the rules of the facility beforehand on the phone etc. I know that staff can sometimes be rude.

I am very sorry that you need to deal with this! Seeking and getting treatment is never easy even without these types of challenges.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have a friend who works on a mental ward. She said they sneak in razor blades to cut themselves, laxatives, drugs, you name it. They find stuff all the time. That is why, they don't need someone in a mental ward cutting themselves, the other patients there, or the staff.

I do however think if they are going to do so, they should have a room that is nice with carpet so you don't feel cold and are not standing on a dirty, cold floor. I also think they should keep you covered as much as possible. Just my .02
Old 09-25-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's stupid. They strip search you in the beginning but they allow you to be alone with friends and family while you're there during visiting hours. The friends and family can bring in almost anything. The strip searches make you feel like you're in jail. Honestly if I had to choose between jail and a psych ward I'd pick jail every time.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow really? In the one here at the local hospital a staff member must be present if there are any visitors. I would think that would not be a good idea at all to have unsupervised friends and family.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lebroncavs View Post
It's stupid. They strip search you in the beginning but they allow you to be alone with friends and family while you're there during visiting hours. The friends and family can bring in almost anything. The strip searches make you feel like you're in jail. Honestly if I had to choose between jail and a psych ward I'd pick jail every time.
Thank goodness for those visitors that bring the real coffee !

Yes, one of the very last times I did battle with alcohol a window got broken and the police asked me if I wanted to goto the hospital or jail. I very quickly said jail. I was not strip searched and went to the "drunk tank" , the ordeal was over in less than 16 hours.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
I believe that this, like most security measures, is based on risk assessment. What is the probability of your scenario of the suicidal person who is extremely intimidated by this vs all the possibilities of bringing in harmful tools, devices, substances.
My scenario ? Most people will lie to avoid hospitalization due to these abuses.

I really just can't help myself, the most harmful substances I myself ever encountered were called "meds" when I was in the place !

Harmful tools, devices

Razor blades are nasty but since metal detectors work by transmitting an electromagnetic field from the search coil into the ground. Any metal objects (targets) within the electromagnetic field will become energised and retransmit an electromagnetic field of their own and trigger the device. No substance known to man can shield this effect.

No one is bringing any James bond Plastic Weapons ,

"Harmful substances" Whats next in the inpatient 'war on drugs', cavity searches in addition to the squat and cough that's usually included in the dehumanizing strip search process ?

Before criminal jail some people swallow the drugs and poo them out later air travel smugglers the same. Some die from container failure or intestinal obstruction when gets stuck.

Just how far do we take the one size fits all security ?

Coerced get naked squat and cough... That's barbaric !
Old 09-25-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have been in 15 mental hospitals stripped searched many times I've always been in psychosis so I never look back and thought about it. They don't search family that go to visit they could bring in anything so it doesn't make any sense to strip search.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Old 09-25-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank goodness for those visitors that bring the real coffee !

Yes, one of the very last times I did battle with alcohol a window got broken and the police asked me if I wanted to goto the hospital or jail. I very quickly said jail. I was not strip searched and went to the "drunk tank" , the ordeal was over in less than 16 hours.
That's true they don't let caffeine there either. Every time I go there I have such a headache because they take away caffeine completely. Their idea of happiness is us sitting in the corner as zombies having no emotions and being almost asleep or sleeping all the time.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I never heard of them doing this unless it is a high security mental hospital and not a regular psych ward..most people in such hospitals have criminal records
Old 09-25-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

We had coffee.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have dealt with this crap in 2 psych units. The first one an aide made me stand in front of her forever while she looked for tattoos, scars, piercings whatever. The last one was even worse they actually had every single patient strip and cough & squat like a prison. I met one poor women who had 2 aides watching her and one was a MAN!!! I can understand if a person is court ordered or psychotic but voluntary admission?!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by potfree View Post
I have dealt with this crap in 2 psych units. The first one an aide made me stand in front of her forever while she looked for tattoos, scars, piercings whatever. The last one was even worse they actually had every single patient strip and cough & squat like a prison. I met one poor women who had 2 aides watching her and one was a MAN!!! I can understand if a person is court ordered or psychotic but voluntary admission?!

It's horrible, that's why I started this thread. I would have rather lived a life free from the coerced squat and cough experience. I also voluntarily walked into that ER only to land in psych instead of a medical bed.