Notices

Antidepressant not working :(

Old 09-23-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antidepressant not working :(

Hi all,
I went on Welbutrin almost 2 weeks ago (2 weeks on Thursday), I feel no different except maybe more tired, no motivation at all.
Anybody know how long it takes to feel the benefits of Welbutrin? I'm on 200 mg/day. I'd hate to start on a different antidepressant because I made it thru most of the crappy side effects of this one ( a headache from h*ll for 5 days).

Not sure what to do at this point, I can't seem to help myself even trying so hard, it's very discouraging. No drinking either but how easy it would be to change my dark mood with a drink or 2, not sure the antidepressants are worth it, this sucks.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Jessie! I have never been on Welbutrin, but I started Lexapro when I was 21 and I am now 27. I remember when I first started the Lexapro it did make me feel worse before I felt better. It probably took a full month or so for me to start feeling better. Try to stick it out for a week or two longer, and if you feel no changes, go back to your doctor and have them try something else. Sometimes they have to play with different medications in order to find the right one for you! Hope this helps a little. Hang in there and I hope you feel better. Depression sucks, I know!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Jessie -- I agree with Teddysgirl, re Lexapro, I felt really tired and almost like a very mild flu for a while, about 2 weeks, and no perceptible effect on mood for at least 1 month, then benefits increasing steadily till stable at about 6 months.

I don't know your history, but if a reputable psychiatrist (not a general practitioner) prescribed wellbutrin, and the only side effect now is no effect, I say give it more time, & talk to your doctor, and don't drink. My shrink wanted to see me about every 2 weeks in the early days.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Could be it's not enough. I'm on 300 mg a day but I"m a 210 pound guy. Back to the doctor, and tell them.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank-you all,
I haven't even been able to get on this site lately! I did call the Dr. this morning early, of course they suggest coming in (money money money), I don't think I need to go in to tell her it's not working? I have a huge deductible plus the office is a half hour away. Anyway, haven't heard back yet, probably won't.
Sorry, feeling negative I guess, I really do appreciate the feedback.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would say to give it a couple more weeks.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As expected, the lame Dr. never called me. I had called at 8:00 a.m too, and nobody had the courtesy to call me back even though I made it clear that I wasn't doing well. I've never seen such cold, uncaring people in the medical field.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Gosh Jess! That's awful! Can you switch to a different doctor? I've had some terrible Doctors and some good ones too. I know these days it seems there are more bad ones out there than good ones. They don't want to take more than a few minutes of their time in the exam room.

I was put on Wellbutrin too. But mine was to quit smoking. I was on it for a little over two months and it did nothing! Absolutely nothing....except I was smoking more on it than off it! Now figure that one out? I've been in several anti-D's to treat my depression and anxiety and the one mentioned by most of the people in this thread worked best for me. The Lexapro worked very well, unfortunately at the time I was put on it my insurance plan changed and they did not cover that one...so I had to switch over to celexa. Which worked well for me too...thank God!

I agree with what the other posters have said, it takes at least 4 weeks for it to kick in and start working for you....so you need to give it some time. But if you really feel it's not the correct dosage or medication, then you really need to find a different Doctor...one that will spend time with you and work with you to find the best medication for you.

Btw I've had doctors that never called me back. Those were the ones I called every hour on the hour until they came to phone to speak with me! Do not feel embarrassed or intimidated to do that either. They are being paid a lot of money from our insurance company plus us.....our copays and deductible....way more than what a 3 min. office visit is worth! If they've put you on a medication that isn't working then they need to correct that medication! There is no way you should have to pay an additional fee to go in there and pick up a script that works for you. If they want to get nasty and try to suck more money out of you then tell them you will be contacting the medical board!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank-you cleanin I will be switching doctors, just need to figure out where to go, there's so few small family practices around now, those usually have the best doctors it seems.

SB, I force myself to walk 4 miles daily and use my weight machine, on top of my already busy schedule. I realize exercise can help ease the symptoms of depression but it's not a cure-all for me. Unfortunately also, I have chronic pain/swelling in my feet (the top of my feet look like they have eggs on them, they are deformed basically), this dr had no interest in even looking at them when I mentioned the chronic pain, just ignored my complaint. I really believe it is contributing to my depression, majorly, I've developed a permanent limp.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just started on it, after a similar bout with Zoloft. So far so good, but only day 4. With the zoloft, however, I noted all the horrible side effects immediately.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SB, I thought you pulled it (??). The link just took me to many stories not a certain one. I don't know?
I do appreciate your response.