Notices

struggling

Old 09-16-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

struggling

Been battling depression since I was 15. I'm now 44. I've accepted that I need medication to live a 'normal' life. Just struggling at the moment. Can't stop crying today. I've been ill which isn't helping. Got a little boy who's autistic and non-verbal, he is the light of my life but it's so hard. I know it's just a bad day. Feeling useless and hopeless.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR, Mavis, I know you'll find support here, and for myself I continue to find hope in what I read here that our members share daily.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Mavis, welcome to the family. I'm sorry you are struggling. Some days are just crap. It's ok to say that. But these too shall pass.

May I ask, are you currently using alcohol to cope with your challenges ? If so, it's been proven that it only sinks us further into depression. I speak from experience. Life starts to feel rather horrific when you are trying to get through it with drink.

Glad to have you here.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, yes using alcohol on an evening to wind down and 'chill out'. Worried that I won't get that happy carefree feeling without it but know that I need to stop.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Mavis))) those are hugs.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

First things first.

Please get rid of any alcohol in your house. It magnifies depression by a huge amount.

Yes, temporary mind-numbness occurs. The problems in your life are not fixed by a two hour buzz, and you are left with anxiety and worse depression.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Mavis,

I am sorry to read you are having a tough time but you are reaching out and thats great. I am about your age and have been living with depression for about as long. Its exhausting. I found a great deal of relief by going on medication and reading a book called Learned Optimism by Martin E P Seligman. He is an authority on depression and has dedicated his life to it including being one of the founders of the Positive Psychology Center at the University of Pennsylvania. Both have brought me great relief.

Please take care of yourself. You have a huge responsibility taking care of your child and as such your most important job is taking care of you so you in turn can be a good caregiver.

Keep in touch I will be looking for your posts.