Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

severe fatigue .....what else causes besides depression?

Notices

Old 09-13-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Major depression is my enemy. Extreme fatigue is my demon.

with several years now reflecting depression on my medical records ...I'm finding it hard to find a doc to look past "depression" as an end-all diagnose, rather than a symptom.

You see, l've had several major depressive episodes, but they ALL start with debilitating fatigue (& also tend to come with sinus infections &/or bronchitis). After months of no relief & the fatigue dragging continually harder on me, well that's when depression tends to join the party & start dragging me down also. Docs have tried too many anti-depressants on me to count, and few ever make much of a difference at all.

So, now I'm wondering - what PHYSICAL illnesses also present with severe fatigue?

And what have some of you found to help (other than exercise & provigil)?
Old 09-13-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Popper Roxi, I suffer from utter exhaustion myself, daily, so I know how you feel. It's horrible, like you just don't want to move at times.

If the fatigue comes before the depression however, it's possible there is something physical going on (even chronic fatigue syndrome?), definitely mention it to your doctor, they could do some blood work on you to see if you're lacking something.

On my worst days I force myself to move, even just a walk in the fresh air helps a bit, and of course I fit a nap in.
Hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I only wish I had some help to offer you.

My problem is my mental illness and the meds that keep me alive make me fatigued beyond belief. Going off them is not an option for me.

My therapist says that proper meds, proper diet, proper exercise and proper supplements are vitally important.

I find vitamin D to be very important.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you could try mindfullness for the depression
Old 09-14-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dsmaxis10 View Post
you could try mindfullness for the depression
What do you mean?
Old 09-15-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Ask your doctor to check your thyroid…might be off.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Popper Roxi;4899231]What do you mean?[/Q theres a book called mindfullness way threw depression I did it it helped
Old 09-16-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi my friend has ME which was brought on by a period of illness, she recovered but relapsed 3 times. Some gps are sceptical about ME but some are supportive. Don't know if this is something you've looked into? At her worst my friend was bedridden and could hardly speak but some people have it with less extreme symptoms. Hope you find an answer.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A challenged liver can cause extreme fatigue - whether through long-term chronic infection with Hep C, or cirrhosis, or liver cancer. Alcohol, drugs, and meds are hard on the liver anyway, so even without a distinct liver problem, if you're in early recovery or have taken a lot of medication, the liver has been overworked. It is the energy center.

I agree that often, exhaustion and the effort required to navigate life can present as (and ultimately become) a diagnosis of depression.

If you have medical insurance or the money for it, I suggest getting a full physical with a blood workup. If you trust your current doc (although it sounds like they don't have an "investigative" tendency with your symptoms) you could work with them, or you could go somewhere new, not mention the prior diagnosis of depression, and talk primarily about the fatigue, requesting tests.

It is demoralizing and exhausting to wonder about your physical health, especially with internet (mis)information so easily available. You could worry about a new symptom daily...

Getting a full physical, and really looking at the numbers that return on your blood test (usually the references are also on the document they send you - this should be between this and this) should give you enough information to actually address anything you need to repair physically.

What makes me think that you may be onto something here is your comment that anti-depressive medications haven't helped. I know it takes some tweaking to find the right med and dose, but it sounds like you've been dealing with it for awhile.

If you do NOT find anything on the blood tests that points to a concern, I would consider taking on some serious physical health projects toward feeling more vitality - blood sugar imbalances cause fatigue - maybe not consuming sugar or excessive carbs would level blood sugar out. Exercise. Maybe go and see a naturopath or an acupuncturist.

But first things first - get a blood test - it'll tell you where you're starting and might point you in the right direction.