Notices

Up Coming Psych Appointment

Old 09-12-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Up Coming Psych Appointment

I just recently started zoloft on the order of my family doc and have made an appointment with a psychiatrist on his advice and on the advice of a counselor I have been seeing.

I have most all the symptoms of depression, had them a long time, but with out insurance for so long, I could not afford treatment. I chose to treat my dark thoughts, my lack of self esteem and feelings of death and remorse with alcohol. Which of course made them worse. 17 months sober has made me realize that did not work and that I do need the next step.

Frankly I am nervous about seeing a psychiatrist. Reading some of the comments, especially Jessie's "Dr Appt" made me even more nervous. I guess it is the anxiety of a new situation, that I will have an experience like Jessie and go away feeling cheated. I know nothing about the Dr I am to see, outside of the bio on their site and that my counselor has heard good things about the group. It was hard to get an appointment, most psychs are booked up and many not taking new patients. So this maybe an only shot.

I hate the zoloft. I have lots of sleep issues, even more anxiety and kind of a blah feeling a lot. I thought it was supposed to make me more enthusiastic... I feel little different.

Rambling here, sorry. Just have a lot of thoughts on the matter and hope anyone with experience can give me some advice.

Thanks all!
Old 09-12-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

SirDrake, rootin for ya.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Nef.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Drake

My experience with counsellors, and psychiatrists, have been, on the whole, overwhelmingly positive.

Like any Dr, sometimes you might have to try a few before you get one that you feel 'good' with, but I hope you have good luck right off the bat

D
Old 09-12-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dear Drake,
It just takes one bad apple to ruin it for all, doesn't it? You might of heard this a million times already but , try to have an open mind and give it a chance?
Go and listen to what he/she says and then think about the advice. Depression tends to make me think on the negative side, sorta like "doom and gloom" mentality. Wishing you a gentle and reassuring appointment.
Take care and let us know how it went!
TF
Old 09-13-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Be sure to discuss your reaction to the Zoloft with the psychiatrist. He or she will probably have an alternative that would work better.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Drake,

I guess there are good and not-so-good doctors out there. I know depression can make us very negative about everything but you still need to 'feel good' about the person in charge of your health.

My unpleasant experience Thursday was a first for me actually. I've had a few other doctors (back home, we moved unfortunately) and I have loved them all. I still miss my last dr. back home, she was absolutely the best. I regret that I wasn't ready to get sober back then.

Try to stay positive, it's unlikely you will have a bad experience. I hope you feel better soon!