Notices

Dr. Appt

Old 09-11-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dr. Appt

Hi all,

I had my appt. today, saw a new Dr. about my depression. I left feeling even worse.
Without even talking about anything I was there for, I was asked when my last gynecological visit was, and I had to schedule one right then & there.
Felt better already.....Not

I know my depression causes a lot of negative thoughts & feelings but I don't remember ever feeling so ashamed and embarrassed after an appt.
After telling numerous people why I'm there (this is after explaining on the phone twice also), the Dr. comes in and sits down and says to me 'What can I help you with today?'. And for the millionth time I shamefully said 'I'm depressed'.

She immediately asked what was going on in my life. Well, that lead to a crying outburst of course. I'm not happy with my life but I just feel that there's more going on than that, like I'm lacking something, but because I find it impossible to talk about my life without crying she seemed to assume that okay my life sucks and I'm crying about it. It makes it all seem so petty. There was no compassion at all, just a short uh-huh after everything I said, then 'I'm prescribing Welbutrin'
That was it. I didn't like her at all.

I mentioned my alcohol abuse, she suggested AA. Social situations make me want to drink.
Anyway, so I got a script for an antidepressant, only good thing that came out of it today. Seriously I feel so alone, I have nobody to talk to about this, husband doesn't understand, he just looked at me blankly when I told him about my appt. today.

I can't drink with this and I won't. I had to make a follow-up for a month from now (have to get everything done then, pap etc.. which I don't want to do right now but I was pushed into it) It looks like she gave me 1 refill. I'm almost considering switching doctors already.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Anybody have experience with Welbutrin?
Old 09-11-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wellbutrin made me feel speedy and edgy. When I am speedy and edgy I want to drink.

Good thing we have these "doctors" who never had a drink problem and never took psychiatric drugs calling the shots.

What may happen next is IF Wellbutrin gives you 'mania' and along comes a diagnosis of bipolar and the fun treatments for that. Happens all the time out there.

You should really quit drinking before saying I "have" depression, she did the right thing suggesting AA where you will here many many of stories of people driven to even suicidal depression from alcohol and how they recovered.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, thank-you for your response. I appreciate what you are saying but my depression came before the drinking. I never drank at all until I was 40 years old. It happened without thinking really, I was very depressed, wasn't even sure why at that point, and because I had a fancy bottle of vodka in the house somebody gave us as a 'gift', I found out that vodka put me in a good mood. Or so I thought.

10 years later, my mood sucks and I Know alcohol isn't helping anymore.
But anyway, I'm really hoping that the welbutrin helps with my depression, I was once on Seroquel, that wasn't good at all. I'm absolutely not bi-polar, there are no ups with me, none at all, and I told the dr. that.
Thanks for your response.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol inside us screws up everything. All
our inerds are going haywire, crazy affecting
all our inner workings. Just like a watch. If
you open up the back and look inside, there
are many working parts. Well, at least the old
timey watches...lol

If the inside gets wet, then things get rusty,
corrosion occurs, the face fogs up and eventually
it stops ticking. Same thing with alcohol or drugs
in our system, until we take ourselves in for a
good cleaning, a check up, then add a new
battery inside us or a recovery program and
proper meds that are non narcotic or habit
forming to kick start us so we can continue
to tick for many more yrs.

Getting a clean bill of health will take the
worrisome off ur shoulders, so you can
learn a recovery program to begin incorporating
in ur everyday life.

Proper meds for the chemical imbalance, anxiety
or depression may take some time to adjust in
ur own body. There are so many meds available
out there to treat each person but treat each
person differently. There will be side effects
with each, some stronger than others.

It takes time to find the one that will work
right with ur own body. So don't rush and
be sure to stay in touch with a good physician
that will work with you letting them know
honestly how they are affecting you.

Honesty is important if they are to help
you and for you to receive good quality
help from them.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank-you Sharon.

I know I need my yearly, it's been too long and after about 7 years we finally have health insurance. I guess I just didn't want to deal with that right off the bat, I was there for depression.
This doctor didn't talk to me at all about the drug she was prescribing, I'm actually looking it up online to learn more about it and any interactions I need to look out for.

I know I did the right thing going in today, and I know I need to follow up on everything to get better.
I just wish I liked this Dr.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Like many do, and if they are not satisfied,
they get a second opinion. If it were I in ur
situation, and didn't get what I need from this
doctor, id surely wouldn't use that prescription.

No one is twisting my arm to take it especially
if the doctor did not explain in detail what it
is and how it would affect my body. Or in other
words, what could I expect if I took it.

I wouldn't put anything in my mouth or
body if im not sure what it is or what to
expect from it.

For me, I worked on learning to stay sober
first for a long time before I realized something
was still not right with me. So I saw a theraphist
first to discuss my personal problems and marriage
woes at that time and from there a non narcotic
prescription was added to my recovery program
to balance out my chemical imbalance in my
system.

It took me a yr to find the one that worked
well with me.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Sharon, Actually, I'm so desperate to climb out of this black pit that I took the meds in the car.
The reason I need to treat the depression as I'm quitting alcohol is because I go back to the alcohol every time on my darkest days. I try so damn hard but I need relief badly some days.

This Dr. just wasn't informative or even sympathetic, she was abrupt and cold. I don't like her so to get my yearly done by her makes me cringe. Ugh

First things first though, I need to get better, really hoping it doesn't take me a year to feel better!
Oh, another thing about the Welbutrin, apparently if you're a heavy drinker and suddenly quit drinking when you're taking Welbutrin, it is more likely to cause seizures (now why wouldn't my Dr. even mention that, or be concerned about it when I told her about my drinking habits and wanting to quit? Bad feelings all around.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Remember Jessie, you never have to go
thru this darkest time in ur life alone. SR
is here to guide you with support and suggestions
so you are not alone.

Do you have someone near you that you
can call upon for help? Do you know of
anyone who is in recovery, someone that
goes to nearby AA meetings?

Being surrounded by support will help
you as you continue to learn new ways
to live without alcohol in ur life and
situations.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have absolutely nobody in my life that I can talk to, my husband is a million miles away and just looks at me blankly if I mention anything about being depressed, or needing to quit drinking.

We moved from our home state years ago, I left the only family I had left (parents both died young), to chase His dream.
I have nobody, not even a friend here.
Thank-you for being a friend.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I take Wellbutrin; it works well for me... it takes me out of the deep darkness and keeps me from feeling like I need to sleep so much. Initially I was on a selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor, Zoloft, for my depressive symptoms, but it was not working, so I did some reading and discovered bupropion/Wellbutrin, which is the same stuff they use to curb smoking cigarettes, and I asked my doctor if I could try it out. It has done a lot for me since I have been on it... less ruminating thoughts, better concentration, less negative feelings, better emotional handling of relationships, and, like I said earlier, less sleep. One thing though, it says not to drink alcohol while you take it, so you should not drink at all if you take it.

Your new doctor does not sound very comforting. You might want to trust your instincts about her and find another one. It sounds like she is handling it like most doctors do... and that is in a hasty manner, without getting to know you and establish a level of confidence with you. Maybe there is another doctor out there who will listen to you better and treat you better, too.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You did really good. Maybe that doc is better with the body, not so good at the mind. You did the hard part by getting in and saying what's going on. Wow that first time is hard and you did it! Kudos. I got tested for all kinds of things when I got sober and was finally able to be honest with my doctor. It felt great, and now I feel I can walk into his office and share anything. You done good!
Old 09-13-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks.

This is my 3'rd day on the Welbutrin and I've had a pretty bad headache since I started it. Will that subside the longer I'm on it?

I'm considering finding another Dr. but how does that work with my prescription? If this works for me I want to stay on it. This Dr. just isn't for me. She never even asked what supplements I take, didn't talk to me about the drug, nothing. I was googling it that night trying to figure out if I could even take my over the counter sleep med still (which apparently I can't) so I've had lots of trouble sleeping.
I left her office feeling worse, not a good sign.

I'm not drinking at all, I'm desperate to get out of this black hole.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This doctor doesn't sound very professional. She seems like she's blase in her profession and is just phoning it in. She should have asked you about all the medicines you're taking.

Try to find a different doctor. A qualified psychiatrist will be able to assess when it's beyond time for the headaches to go away, and give you a different prescription if necessary.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I never had headaches with Wellbutrin, so I cannot tell you if yours will go away. Sorry, I hope you feel better soon somehow.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wellbutrin has worked wonders for me, but everyone is different. Have you considered seeing a psychiatrist instead of a general practitioner? Someone who is specialized in treating depression would probably be a much better fit for you.

Hang in there. Sending good thoughts your way. xoxo
Old 09-14-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wellbutrin is more of a stimulating antidepressant so take it in the morning if you can. Drink lots of water too. It will probably help your headaches. xo
Old 09-14-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks, I have been drinking tons of water, but I have to take the Welbutrin twice a day. I take it as soon as I get up then again 8 hours later (100mg each).

I have considered seeing a psychiatrist, still thinking about it, I'm just not sure anybody can help me right now. I'm not ready to make any major changes in my life at the moment although I know that is needed. I've been to a few different ones over the years and got little out of it.

Thanks for your response, good to know Welbutrin worked well for you. I think the headaches are getting better, I took aspirin right before bed last night and this morning the headache was mild (compared to what felt like a migraine the last couple mornings).
Still not sure what I'm going to do when my follow-up gets near. I don't want to go back to her, but I want to stay on the anti-depressant if it works for me.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi, jessie65.

I was once prescribed Wellbutrin by a doctor who seemed to have the exact same bedside manner that you've described yours as having. I too was desperate for relief, so I took the meds for two weeks, and those were some of the worst feeling two weeks of my life. I felt like I was constantly on amphetamines and smoked more than a pack of cigarettes a day. She told me Wellbutrin would help me quit smoking, but it actually increased my habit. I was never a pack a day smoker!

That being said, I do know two people who responded really well to the med. One friend actually credits it (after quitting drinking) to saving his life. Just goes to show how different each of our body chemistries are.

If it does work for you, I don't think it would be any problem to see a new doctor and have them refill your prescription. I am not a doctor, so this is just a thought.

Oh, and I changed doctors after seeing the one who prescribed me that med. It wasn't because the medication didn't work, it was her whole approach and manner left me feeling cold and unheard. Through her brief and dismissive attitude, she kept misdiagnosing me (for something completely unrelated) that ended up being very costly for me.

Don't give up hope! Something will work out!
Old 09-15-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Therapy might be a good idea too. The combination of meds and therapy really did save my life when I was severely depressed. hugs to you.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I personally saw a psychiatrist that worked in tandem with my doctor. I can only say it was a very very good experience for me. Even if you switch doctors that does not mean you have to switch your Rx if it is working for you.

Your doctor did not help you, I would ask around and get some referrals and if possible see a psychiatrist that specializes in working with families with addiction.

Hugs.