Notices

How to make others understand

Old 09-09-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to make others understand

I have anxiety and depression. I quit drinking in May. I have episodes of depression and anxiety that are pretty severe. I recently started driving out of town for 2 days out of the week for school and its bringing on a lot of stress. I had a panic attack last night in the middle of the night. When I get like this I can't really communicate what is wrong with me to my other half. He doesn't understand what is wrong with me. He thinks I am hiding something from him, but really I just get overwhelmed with bad thoughts and it makes me sick. How can I make him understand what is wrong with me? I'm really not sure why I get this way and what is wrong with me but I just feel sick mentally - tired, scared, sad, lonely, depressed, heart racing fear, impending sense of doom, etc. When I get like this I can't really talk or laugh or be myself.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you are struggling so much. It sounds very stressful. I would print out what you just posted and have your other half read it. You explained it quite well in your post, sometimes it's easier to express in writing.

I hope you are seeing a doctor regarding the anxiety and depression?
Old 09-09-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, I'm too embarrassed to print it out and give it to him, but I will try to communicate what I wrote to him. I'll try to talk to him. No I am not seeing a doctor right now. I keep thinking about going to the doctor but then the next day I will think that I'm ok and can handle everything myself... then something else will happen and trigger all of these things again.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I will share this with you. I was near a nervous breakdown and my mother literally came and picked me up and took me to the doctor that second. It was such a relief. They got me on the correct medications (and the one I take is only $4 a month), and worked in tandem with a local psychiatrist who specializes in what I was having issues with.

I can only say that a million tons has been lifted from my back. I feel like a new person.

Please don't isolate or feel ashamed. And go to the doctor and be VERY HONEST so they can help you!
Old 09-10-2014, 02:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel that way daily excercise flush's it out so i'm like addicted to it now if I go 3 days without doing at least 10 mi. On my bike and some weightlifting the negative chemicals in my brain build up to a unacceptable level. God Bless
Old 09-10-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by angelwithoutgod View Post
I can't really communicate what is wrong with me to my other half. He doesn't understand what is wrong with me.
I don't think we can express what is wrong with us until we find out what is wrong with us.

I think going to a doctor is an excellent suggestion.

Many times I have to consult others when I have feelings that I can't seem to identify or if I know I am angry, sad, hurt but I can't seem to understand why I am feeling that way.

Talking about it to another who may understand is the first step to getting help. I can't explain to a square why I am round. I have to go to someone that is round or someone that understands what round means and can help me.

Once I could understand myself two things happened. One, I was able to tell others and second, it didn't bother me as much that they didn't understand. My need to explain was not so great. I understood me and there were others that understood me and that is what is the most important.

First things first.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Maybe its Post Acute withdrawal syndrome ? Look it up.

Post-acute-withdrawal syndrome (PAWS), or the terms post-withdrawal syndrome, protracted withdrawal syndrome, prolonged withdrawal syndromes describe a set of persistent impairments that occur after withdrawal from alcohol, opiates, benzodiazepines, antidepressants, stimulants , anti psychotics and others.

It took about a year for this PAWS to go away, I was constantly dealing with anxiety and my depressed thinking would turn to anger cause I would get mad about the things depressing me.

When going to psychiatry, I would make sure I got informed consent , something I didn't get when I was started down what was almost the endless road of psychiatric drugs years before.

Full informed consent regards the medical legitimacy of psychiatric diagnosis, the risks of psychiatric treatments, the right to all available medical alternatives, and the right to refuse any treatment considered harmful.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You cant "make" them understand. ..they have to acquire this knoledge themselves.