Notices

16 days sober, bipolar II girlfriend

Old 09-03-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

16 days sober, bipolar II girlfriend

Today I'm 16 days sober. It's been a rollercoaster. Now that I'm starting to see things clearer I'm having difficulty handling my girlfriend/son's mother's bipolar. When she doesn't remember to take her seroquil she has major meltdowns. I just found out the reduced her dose. It was 500mg I believe, not sure what it's at now. Lately she has been blacking out during her mania and doesn't remember anything she does or says. These periods last for a few hours of mania, during which she talks differently and does really irrational things. For instance she wanted to give me her car and full custody of our son and live in a tent. I tried to calm her and say we can talk later when she's feeling better but she wouldn't stop saying things and being really mean. I'm wondering if this is just bipolar or something else. It seems like she isn't there when she's manic. She describes it as a dream like state an clicking in her head. Our son is starting to pick up on the tension this is causing. I urged her to tell her therapist. I am uninsured and don't have a therapist. Any advice?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am sorry, life with someone who is BPII is definitely no picnic. Did she reduce her own dose or did her psychiatrist reduce it? Clearly it was a mistake. She clearly also does not manage her own condition if she "forgets" to take her meds. This is all quite common in dealing with BP. They sometimes crave the mania and it spirals out of control.

I would say that you (or another family member if there is one) may need to accompany her to the dr and make sure the dr realizes what is going on. One, she does not even remember. Two, they are notorious for lying/hiding the truth from the dr.

You may want to check your local counseling services. I know here if you have no insurance they offer it on a sliding scale that is very affordable or you can see a resident who is almost done w/schooling for $5.

Good luck to you and congrats on your own sobriety! Don't let the pressure of this put your own sobriety at risk.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Let's not over-generalize. I tell my pdr and my therapist the whole truth every time I see them.

Bipolars are known to not want to take their meds. They miss the highs and the side effects of things like seroquel are definitely undesirable. I know. I take 600 mgs.

But the manic episodes you describe cannot be dismissed and continued. This needs reported.

I always take my fiancee in with me for all my appmts.

I may not be the easiest person to live with because my meds rob me of all energy, makes me forgetful and I need lots of sleep. But I am loving, easy-going, tolerant, kind, appreciative of my partner, there are no arguments or conflicts. I am stable. I only dislike and regret my lack of energy to pull my own weight.

My fiancee is also bipolar so this allows us to be understanding rather than demanding.

I would report her to her dr.

And I would have no problem with putting space between you if she refuses to stay in treatment which entails taking her meds as prescribed or getting them changed if they are not working.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on 16 days
Old 09-04-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Things are better today. We talked and I guess even her parents have noticed and they are the types that don't believe in mental illness. She talked to her doc yesterday and they upped her dose again. She said she realizes she can't function as well without her meds and the proper dose. It's hard to believe her a lot because she has a history of lying, as do I being an alcoholic. I'm not sure how I can speak with her doctor being she is an adult and confidentiality, unless there is a way for me to get special permission. I'm definitely going to try to find out though.

I can't have my son getting emotional because of this. I can't take the emotional abuse. I was so upset yesterday morning I vomited.

When she's medicated and seeing her therapist she is wonderful. The person I witnessed yesterday was a mean stranger. I have my sobriety and my own mental health to look after as well as my precious son.

I asked her family to give her space this weekend so she can relax. She does have a very codependent relationship with her mother but that's a whole other story. I just need her back the f off already. She's up her daughter's butt so much and my gf can never say no to mom.