Notices

Finally made the appt

Old 08-27-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally made the appt

Hi all,
I rarely post here anymore (still battling my addiction), but I'm on here often reading.

I finally, with shaking hands and my heart beating out of my chest, made an apt to see a Dr. for my severe depression. I was treated for it in the past but have been off meds for at least 7 years now (was still drinking heavily so they did nothing).

I guess I feel shame having a mental illness, I don't know, people just look at you differently. Anyway, I couldn't even make the apt without crying, the receptionist was very nice, took all my personal information on the phone, and then said she was transferring me over to so-in-so to set up the appt.
I was on hold with an obnoxious recording that kept repeating itself, for 15-20 minutes. Then the phone rings again and somebody picks up and says 'Can you hold?' I waited & waited because I knew I would not get the nerve to do it again if I hung up.

Finally a voice comes on and says 'Can I help you?' I said I was supposed to be transferred to get an appt date? She seemed clueless and was snippy. She started asking me All the same questions I was just asked. I told her that I already gave all that information to the other receptionist. She says rudely 'I'm a different person maam, I wouldn't know it (WTH?). I asked then what did the other recep. do with my information?? She ignored me and gave me a date for the appt. It was all very frustrating and it gave me a bad feeling about the practice.
I was upset & emotional by the time I got off the phone.

Is this typical of a Dr.'s office? The apt isn't even for 2 weeks so that's depressing in itself.
Opinions? Thanks
Old 08-27-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've had that happen before. They must have been havihg a very busy day; the first receptionist probably forgot all about you and your information! I'm sure your sensitive information didn't fall into unsafe hands.

There are some receptionists who are good as gold, and others who are grumps. You obviously got the grump the second time. It doesn't mean everybody in the practice is insensitive--the place was probably just hectic.

Keep in mind that receptionists might make dozens of appointments per day: what may have taken every ounce of nerve for you was just another call to them.

If you are deeply bothered, you might confide your experience to the receptionist when you go in. I'm sure they desire to provide quality customer service to their patients. Be as sweet and humble as you can when presenting your case.

Or maybe you can just go to your appointment and everything will go off without a hitch.

In any case, I'm glad you made the appointment. Good job!
Old 08-27-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank-you

I'm very nervous about it. I have a hard time talking about it without getting emotional, so I'm afraid I will just babble and make no sense. I'm a mess and too many people depend on me.
Thanks for the advice, I do plan to keep the appt, just wish it was sooner since I will dwell on it until I go.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job, happy to see you took the steps. I had a similar experience and just hate to make appointments to Doctors in general and mental health especially. Hopefully it was just a harried day at the office for them.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ya pretty typical, ill pray for you bro.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck
Old 08-30-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have you stopped drinking? That is the cause of a lot of your depression, anxiety, and fear.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, I know my depression is worse while actively drinking.
However, the depression started before I picked up my first drink 9 years ago, I self-medicate. I hate the way I feel pretty much 24/7, intense sadness, and often anger ( rage at times), I would happily spend my life sleeping because it allows me not to feel.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Then I would say the first thing to do is stop drinking. It is necessary in order to see what the underlying depression is really like. Honestly it is made worse by drinking.

All of my depression and anxiety went away when I stopped drinking and faced my life sober.

Please try it, and if it doesn't get better then you can get proper treatment that isn't going to kill you. I suspect you'll find you feel a lot better after three months of no drinking.