Notices

I believe I have borderline personality disorder

Old 08-19-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I believe I have borderline personality disorder

I have known aside from my OCD and alcoholism/addiction problems there has been something wrong with me. Why I always seem to sabotage myself.

I know self diagnosing myself is probably not the best, but maybe something to talk to a doctor about.

So, I took this test and scored a 36. According to this test I have severe BPD.
Borderline Personality Test - Psych Central
Old 08-19-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Yeah, I wouldn't put much stock into internet tests, but I agree that you should talk to a doctor.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

With all due respect, mate, I think you've been playing with Mr Google too much.

You are obviously searching for answers, but what good will it do? I know I your insurance is limiting your choices right now, but you WILL drive yourself crazy self-diagnosing.

Perhaps there are some free phone counselling services you could call where you are. Doesn't Dr Phil also have an app where you can speak live to a qualified doctor? Sounds more legitimate than ranking yourself online.

We can all score on those tests...do something proactive, otherwise it's going to break you down.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

It's called Psych 101 Syndrome. It's the first thing they warn you about in the Intro to Psych course at college. If you aren't aware of the Syndrome, you'll have every disorder in the textbook by the end of the course.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Talk to a dr and a therapist. I have BPD and it took a long time to get diagnosed!! Don't diagnose yourself thru those tests. Ugh I used to do that all the time.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That test is vague to say the least. A nap sounds good.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serotonin View Post

So, I took this test and scored a 36. According to this test I have severe BPD.
It is very helpful screening test but we should seek mental help if found something wrong.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm personally pro-google tests but only if you don't rely on them entirely. Would help to read up on the condition, and see a licensed counselor too.

However, therapists are wrong sometimes, too and you can't always just accept everything they tell you. Make sure anyone who diagnoses you can give good explanations as to how they formed their conclusion, and what sources they use
Old 01-03-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lol your signature made me smile. I need a nap, too
Old 01-05-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ignore the test. First thing to remember is that psychiatry really does know much. Personality is simply a collection of traits, and traits can change. That means you can change too.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
It's called Psych 101 Syndrome. It's the first thing they warn you about in the Intro to Psych course at college. If you aren't aware of the Syndrome, you'll have every disorder in the textbook by the end of the course.
Good point to consider.

Went through something similar to that "syndrome" years ago when starting out in a position in a hospital, where I was ingesting lots of info about medical and psychiatric illnesses.

As others have already said, mental health professionals may help you sort out your concerns and can provide support and treatment options. Take care.