Notices

Major Insomnia + Major Anxiety Following Surgery

Old 08-16-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Major Insomnia + Major Anxiety Following Surgery

I sleep fewer than 30 minutes of broken sleep/24 hour period. Then I crash every four to five weeks and sleep about 12 hours straight. Obviously not enough to make up for the weeks of little to no sleep.

I'm working with a great sleep Psychologist now but still haven't gotten anywhere. I've shamefully returned to the bottle this past week, but even that doesn't help me with sleep. I've spoken to my Psychologist about it and he doesn't think I have a problem. However, I believe I do.

Where to go from here?

Thank you!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Have you talked to your surgeon about this? Perhaps they can prescribe something to help you sleep, or have you tried melatonin or any over the counter sleep aid? But please remember that no medication should be taken with alcohol.

I've suffered from insomnia, it's very important to communicate with a doctor to get any results and good rest.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I suffer from insomnia as well, and have my entire life. My alcoholism masked it for a time. I've consulted doctors and psychiatrists, and even undergone two sleep studies at hospitals. So far, I have been unable to find any cure, and drugs seem the only treatment that works. I usually do not take them, and simply suffer. I expect I will continue to suffer for the rest of my life.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'm a insomniac but I refuse all meds. I wake up early 6.30 am and try to go bed at 11pm I aim for a routine its not perfect but improving
Old 08-20-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm taking enough sleeping pills/anti-anxiety pills to knock out an Elephant! Ambien 12.5mg ER, Seroquel 50mg, Melotonin 5mg, Remron 30mg (all at bedtime, yet I don't sleep). 1mg Clonizapam 2/day, 75mg Venlafaxine 2/day, Fentanyl patch changed every 48 hours, Gabapentin 600mg 3/day, and I know there are others I forgot.

Main point being that I've been at a very low point mentally and physically for the past year. I was doing well last summer, walking 5 miles/day but now I can barely get up or down the stairs to the bathroom without either pooping my pants or pooping on the floor or toilet seat before I sit on toilet. I've also pooped my pants many times in the past month.

My son just turned 7 and I missed his birthday party due to my bowels. People treat me like I'm delicate. I very much dislike that.

I'm seeing a Psychologist, Pain Management doctor, my surgeon (I had my gall bladder, appendix, Spleen and pancreas removed in 2013 (luckily insulin producing cells were transplanted into my liver so I am not Diabetic.).

I've never been a drinker before the past 2 years but the depression, insomnia and anxiety I have now.

I have always been very successful in my career and was making a six figure income for years. But, since I've been sick (I was in the hospital for 8 of 12 months on 2012).

I have been diagnosed with PTSD and am afraid of hospitals now. If I even go past one I have a panic attack.

I am in a very bad place right now. Literally right now. My wife and son are gone today and I went out and bought a large bottle of Vodka. I have yet to drink it but, let me tell you, I am close.

The depression, anxiety, insomnia, bowel problems, everything!

I'm not to the point of hurting myself but I'm in a very dark place as I type this.

Thanks to everyone for the support.

- anonymous
Old 08-20-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And, By the way, when I speak of insomnia I mean I sleep *maybe* a half hour to an hour I. A 24 hour period for 3 to sometimes 5 weeks and then I crash for 12 - 18 hours in one day. Then it starts all over again. Ugh!
Old 08-21-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anyone out there?
Old 08-21-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Drinking the vodka isn't going to help any of those issues. Temporary relief at best like it always is.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I get it, jlak.

I know it's from my years of drinking. I also have a cyst on my pineal gland that may have something to do it. That gland produces melatonin.

I get 1-2 hours of sleep a night, then maybe none, and usually by the 3rd or 4th day might get 3 hours! Yippee!.

They used to say lack of sleep wouldn't hurt you. Now they say it is a cause of morbidity.

Used to sleep straight through the night years ago.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

J, maybe the PTSD is what makes it difficult for you to sleep. Perhaps if you can manage the PTSD, your sleep will improve. The trauma and anxiety of PTSD resides below the surface, but it will jolt you awake many times over when you try to sleep.

I can relate to the feeling of panic from even driving by a hospital. In her book "From Panic to Power" author Lucinda Bassett mentions how she would take a different route to work just to avoid driving by a certain hospital.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used to take so many meds for so many things. I saw a doctor who began weaning me off of things. I had an accident where I broke my neck, knee and have back problems. I went off most of my pain pills, still take an nsaid and use lots of natural modalities such as acupuncture and massage. He took me off the 200 mg of trazadone I was taking to sleep that no longer worked. Why take it if it doesn't work he said. I suggest you see a really good internist, ( I saw a sleep doctor who was also a neurologist and internist.) This was after I quit drinking. Although I still sleep pitifully, I am doing better than before and sleep a little more but am not groggy or sick from drugs any longer. You definitely will need to address the PTSD as well. It's One Step at a Time. You have to start somewhere. Forget the drink. It'll only make matters worse for you. Glad you're reaching out for help.

How ya doing today?
Old 05-14-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Still here and awake...................
Old 05-15-2015, 01:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
Still here and awake...................
Thank you for sharing
Old 05-15-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Do you have trouble with insomnia?